3.2mm High Yield Tube vs Standard 4mm Tube (1 Viewer)

It has better mechanical properties too, thats what makes Lyndons so competitive.

Ask phil181 what his lads think of it.

What do you and your lads think of it phil181 ?

Thanks

Skyhook

What do you and your lads think of it phil181 ?

Thanks

Skyhook

There's two main drawbacks;

1, It's not available 'off the shelf'.
2, It's a constant battle to ensure that S255 & S355 stock don't get mixed.

Apart from that it's superb - Light & strong.

There's two main drawbacks;

1, It's not available 'off the shelf'.
2, It's a constant battle to ensure that S255 & S355 stock don't get mixed.

Apart from that it's superb - Light & strong.

When you say it's not available off the shelf, do you mean that you can't just buy odd bits to top up when you're running low. You can only buy it in large quantities ?

Thanks again

Skyhook

Last edited:
When you say it's not available off the shelf, do you mean that you can't just buy odd bits to top up when you're running low. You can only buy it in large quantities ?

Thanks again

Skyhook

What I meant was that those large quantities are shipped from China once the order has been placed.

i will prob get told off for this as admin doesnt seem to like me stating things on a professional level however we stock 3.2mm hi-yield tube in 21ft lenghts.

we will cut to size however you need to purchase the lenght, you can 1, 100 or 1000 lengths.

Thanks, allen at George Roberts NW Ltd

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

forgot to mention the tube comes with all the certs etc

Yes mate using it now for Lyndon's, it's much much better,
a 21 is 7kg lighter, it weighs 21kg instead of 28kg, they feel like 16's.
13's feel like 10 foots.
Not had any problems at all with fittings slipping or anything like it,
and I'm doing a truss out, which is coming out if the top floor windows.

Finished with alltask, they have no work in London after Xmas, it's all out in kent and Essex, boll0cks to that, Lyndon's rang so I jumped over.
And so far it was a very wise choice.

Only problem about using the light stuff is its a killer when a heavy one sneaks in and your not used to it ha.

Seems the way to go,lighter stronger, better for your body and wagon. Whats the price per ft

anyone know who supplies it down south?

I represented SGB in a meeting around 10 years ago on this subject.
A large midlands Scaffolding company who had a close relationship with a Large Midlands Building Contractor had convinced them the only way forward was 3.2mm high grade steel.As a result the Builder was only going to allow scaffs with 3.2mm to quote their work.

It is a long time since I looked at this however I recall that whilst 3.2 was stronger in bending in was weaker in compression, the bending capacity allowed you to span further but the compression meant your standard was weaker and had to be at closer crs. so no real gain.

The gain was high for the scaffs as the kit was lighter.
There was an obvious gain for the scaff as steel is priced by the tonne which resulted in cheaper kit and less transport plus volume gains through the scaffs.

There may be a couple of other factors to consider,
1) the mixing of kit, you must design all your scaffolds to your weakest components.
2) 3.2 was not covered in BS5973 nor I believe in TG20:08 (it may be in TG20:13 no idea) which would make all scaffolds design jobs.

At the meeting I stated that SGB would not be converting to 3.2mm to suit the builder as the their kit was 4mm. Benchmark then followed suit.

Top Bottom