20 year old advanced scaffolder!

Not sure Stleger, I think it's tough enough to get a start, we want to encourage more not less.

Stleger it has kinda gone that way. And in fairness everyones been moaning about it in the opposite way! Saying tickets are worthless, "I don't need a ticket" was really common.... then everyone was moaning that scaffolding isn't recognised as a proper trade, then in came all the crap that goes with being a proper trade like NVQs and training and now those very people moan about that!

You can't win either way, scaffs like to moan. But most of all they like to do nothing about it.

Stleger it has kinda gone that way. And in fairness everyones been moaning about it in the opposite way! Saying tickets are worthless, "I don't need a ticket" was really common.... then everyone was moaning that scaffolding isn't recognised as a proper trade, then in came all the crap that goes with being a proper trade like NVQs and training and now those very people moan about that!

You can't win either way, scaffs like to moan. But most of all they like to do nothing about it.

year 1 college /employer
year 2 college /employer
year 3 employer/ nvq level 2
year 4 employer/ nvq level 3

scaffolding its not really assesed like a trade, try plumbing for ex, only coz av been there.
2.5 days a week at college , r do year 1 at college/employer
do year 2 at college/emploer
then pass college
year 3 is spent full time with employer you collect evdenence on these subjects ,hot water, cold water,heating, sanitation ,waste,

during year 3 during this nvq level 2 you are assesed on 3 of these subject cold water,
hot water
waste
.from first fix( laying the pipes ) and second fit (the tap on and waste pipe in to drain etc)
then comes year 4 nvq level 3
you collect evidence on all topics again and are assesed on the 1's you never done in year 3 nvq level 2 when you pass this then you have a TRADE that 4 year of learing 2 years at college /employer and 2 with employer and assesment, to em that a trade the way scaffolding in you can buy the ticket thats not to say you can not with plumbing joinery etc but it just cost you around £8,000 to do it the fast way

get yourself down to that pimlico plumbers from the tv show , what was it 50 to 70 grand a year those plumbers were on , although some say its ****** work , lol

I completely disagree with you mate that a 20 year can't hold an advanced scaffolding ticket. Are you mad,,,why can't they, we send trained 18 years old off to war to shot Tank's and Rockets, and all other sought of lethal weapons and fight some of the worst scum bags all around the world, and these same guys can't hold an Advanced scaff ticket....get a fecking life mate and have some kids and respect them.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

just to add, your view is just as bad as Jason's some months back on scaffs over 40 something not being any good...total crap

I completely disagree with you mate that a 20 year can't hold an advanced scaffolding ticket. Are you mad,,,why can't they, we send trained 18 years old off to war to shot Tank's and Rockets, and all other sought of lethal weapons and fight some of the worst scum bags all around the world, and these same guys can't hold an Advanced scaff ticket....get a fecking life mate and have some kids and respect them.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

just to add, your view is just as bad as Jason's some months back on scaffs over 40 something not being any good...total crap

you can not compare the two only 40 years ago there 14 yr old who lied about there age in to the trenches in world war 2 and do you really think they were 100% capable of fighting in the trenches meny a brave young lad lost there life rip them all threw no exprience or little.but that a hole diffrent thread, theres nothing to stop you beiging an advanced scaff at the age of 20 but you have 2 scaffs that are advanced you have 1 aged 20 been on the firm for 4 years and 1 been on the firm for 22 years doing all kinds of lets say street work whos going to be the better scaff the more experinced

I have seen 20 year olds who have been in the industry for a couple or so years and come up with ideas to do a job, quicker and safer then very experienced guy's did not or could not think of, why do you think the army target young guns, it's not for their slow thinking abilities. It's like all walk of lives, you don't tar everyone with the same brush.

I have seen 20 year olds who have been in the industry for a couple or so years and come up with ideas to do a job, quicker and safer then very experienced guy's did not or could not think of, why do you think the army target young guns, it's not for their slow thinking abilities. It's like all walk of lives, you don't tar everyone with the same brush.

i get your point aussie bob but but i beleve the army target young guns as they are impressionable at a young age and there body aint feked heres 1 for you the avrage age of a genral is 57 years old pritty much the top rank at the age of 57 not for his speed not for his strength but for his experience yes you do get some young lads that a like pow pow pow .....fkeing hell marra good thinking but at a young age they are few and far between and as a hole 20 year old should no be advanced in my opinion

lol, the Generals you are talking about most likely would have been Generals since they were 20 years old but back then, they were called Sargent's. The knowledge they had when they Sargent's is the same knowledge as they have now as Generals..all they are is older and a fecking lot slower. :) and can talk a good job.

lol lets agree to disagree on this yan marra i think at least 5 year exp on the spanners and starting out at 16 2 years labs and 5 yr on the spanners min take it to 23 ideal 25 but hey that my opinion and opinions count for sh1t marra ;) lol

No worries bro, next time your in the smoke, mail me, and i will shout you a beer and show some good honest scaffold's around London....there's an offer you can't turn down.

I enjoyed that wee tussle, a wee bit disappointed that there wasn't at least one "smash you up ya mug.":nuts:

Well done boys. Think Aussie was right though marra.:toung:

I enjoyed that wee tussle, a wee bit disappointed that there wasn't at least one "smash you up ya mug.":nuts:

Well done boys. Think Aussie was right though marra.:toung:

as nut gonna have to gte in to wid aom now am i lol lest just say maby a 20 years should hold an advanced card that a nice wee compromise lol

You stick to your guns marra but the first time some smart wee guy who has lived the trade since he was 10 years old digs you out a hole let me know.;)

You stick to your guns marra but the first time some smart wee guy who has lived the trade since he was 10 years old digs you out a hole let me know.;)

dont worrie about that marra ad just erect my self out of it pardon the pun

I dunno mate, a Soldier gets well trained. It's not his age it's the endless discipline and focus they receive before they're sent to a warzone. A scaffolder doesn't get that, they sit in a classroom and occasionally go put up a couple of jobs. If a scaffolder got the kind of training a soldier had the industry would be a very different place, mainly we wouldn't have to ask a labourer 8 times to get off his fecking phone and pass me that damn tube you useless scabby.... erm... yeah you get the picture.

Still, the individual, not age, will determine if someones a good scaff eh :)

Young Soldiers may be a poor analogy as I would assume there is a reason many of them don’t come home.
Yes in times of need we do send young men off to war at 18 years of age but only under the guidance of a time served Commanding Officer. Invariably this is in a set of circumstances where this may not be avoided. In the military ALL your thinking is done for you and this is part of the indoctrination you receive to allow these young men to go into battle without thinking. The thought behind this is if you were to think you would not go.
A soldier will do exactly what he is told and I for one thank him for it.
Scaffolding is a different scenario entirely and requires the ability to think on your feet whilst hanging by your nuts and maintaining the illusion that we are all Super Scaff and our ass has not puckered up when we have a close one.

is there not 2 years or so in between p2 and advanced now, if so , would this 20 yr old advanced scaff have had time to do any real work inbetween his training

its not right , at the very least 3 or 4 years on the job experience

maybe the only thing scaffolders and soldiers have in common is that they are both treated like ****

Top Bottom