2 standards or 1 (beams)

It depends what kind of job your using the beams on - if you can get 2 in, then great, all is good.
Sometimes, you simply cannot get 2 sets of Standards or a small Dolly Tower on the ends of the beams.

Some situations aint always black and white, as the CITB colleges make it out to be.

Big argument today with scaffolders, should beams go to 2 or 1 standard at each end, i asked them what they did on there pt 2 course they said 2 standards on the course. simple then !

Morning Guys
interesting question and an interesting selection of answers.
The right answer is as per design.
The way a beam actually bends creates uplift in the second standard and as such attracts more load to the inside support.
See the link below
http://www.scaffoldersforum.com/members/alan-reade-albums-bending-beam.html

Last edited:
Always done 2, altho seen only one in the design for a 25m span.

Also seen a large bodged span where if you 'bounced' in the middleyou could see the towers second legs try to lift. Tower must have been too short to support the span but anyway.... it demonstrated Alan's point of the second standards lifting.

used to always think 2, then had a drawing (york railway station) which was only tied to one, but being the superscaff know-all i was:embarrest: i made sure it went across 2, engineer came out to sign it off,
we had to change it for reasons he explained in great detail after the job was complete.

whatever the drawing states simples,

From a design point you should always fix to one standard at each end of the beams, the beams needs to flex and not to ridged for strength, if it is to ridged it can put to much strain on the beams which may cause it to shear and split.

Its like any high building, the top of the building as to sway for stability if it is to stiff it will collapse.

TAC would it not depend on the span and what is being punched from them, i have seen beams deflected on a single standard at each end that it scared the life out of me ,
as a rule of thumb i was always taught to have the same amount of standards at each end that i needed puncheons on the beams , and i have never had any problems with bridges

No straight answer.

It depends on the loadings (which would include the loading class, wind loads, number of inside boards, number of lifts, the span and the quality of base.

Big argument today with scaffolders, should beams go to 2 or 1 standard at each end, i asked them what they did on there pt 2 course they said 2 standards on the course. simple then !

Ladder Beams or Unit Beams ?

loads of times iv put ladder beams on the standard at the very end of the beam , so its not between 2 chords / uprights , apparently your better of going through 1 standard than doing that. if its beams though yaa should have a drawing so we should be following that

what about when your on a smaller firm that doesnt follow the rules and your not always furnished with a nice design? Its all ok saying as per design but we all know there is loads of firm out there that dont have them

Its not all the smaller firms fella, theres lots of big firms, all NASC members that are putting jobs up that should be designed, that are not, and i know cause of worked for 2 of them, and the last 2 weeks have been very interesting, to say the least.:cry:

mate if your on for a smaller firm you do what you want , iv mostly worked for smaller street firms and hadnt even seen a drawing until about 2 year ago i still havent seen a good one , but its different now , its all about blame . whos toes its going on when it falls on some fooker. if your not given one you cant work to one . i still havent ever used or seen used a pull tester . im not trained to use one so i assume someone else must be doing it .blame them

Pull testers are a load of shiite... Ive NEVER seen one being used.

Plenty sitting about in big tool boxes and in the gaffers office, but not once seen it being used to actually test a tie, lol.

Same as a Scaffolding Rescue Kit. How many of those have been used???
Very few.
All they are, are fancy ornaments.

i have used a pull tester on a fair few occassions not a rescue kit as said before

We do use our's all the time Allan, the problem lies in the advise given, someone other than the installer should test the ties.

Does your new fancy advanced certificate not say you have been trained in it's use?

Hi carl99. Always was told 2 standards,then had a few design drawing jobs showing only 1 standard,l questioned the first drawing & got told that the drawing was right. So,l did as the drawing said.

Top Bottom