2 standards or 1 (beams)

carl99

Reaction score
Big argument today with scaffolders, should beams go to 2 or 1 standard at each end, i asked them what they did on there pt 2 course they said 2 standards on the course. simple then !

Carl,
Do you mean a) if the beams are in the middle of an independent or b) if the beam are being use in a tower like over a conservatory?

ive always been told 2,a tower for both ends, something to do with deflection in the standard.

im not saying ive never put them on 1 standard

what ever the drawings show? but i would like to make it 2, but not always poss

depending if its light duty or heavy, depending what the drawing says also.

Makes sence to have the load spread over 2 stds,than point load on 1.

We always went through 2 sets of standards, but were made to strip a job because the On site Engineer decreed that they should only go on 1 standard,we argued the toss that it was stronger on 2 but still had to change the Job. His answer was to introduce a ledger below the beams to tie the legs of the tower together baffling but there you go

Over a conservatory/outhouse I would say two standards on either end. Obviously you can''t always do that if you're restricted for for space tho

Personally I fix to 2where possible but did a loading bay for landing plant at floor levels and drawing showed beams fixed to one standard,I didn't understand it either ,but it was on the drawing so that's what they got.

2.. always.... put a dummy standard in if needs be..

One standard simple

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

When you have been playing scaffolding as long as I have you wouldnt be scared

Alwyn Richards Alwyn Richards - Temporary Works Design & Scaffolding Design - Training does a scaffold design appreciation course and from what I have heard he is saying across one set of standards. I think its something to do with too much weight being transfered down the inside set of standards so its better that the beam flex's. I may be wrong and i'm sure a design engineer will explain better than I can. I would imagine it also depends on the weight being transfered. Anyway if the jobs got beams in go with the design input that you've been given

2 for Aom, even a dummy standard will do. Wasn't always that way though.

Top Bottom