working in the rain

Phil181 Hi mate, as you should know by now, i value your opinion with great esteem.

However, as Jakdan stated, this will never get sorted on a Forum. The views of the Forum are however paramount to the consensus of opinion, Horses for courses, and everyone has a different opinion, this is the way forward.

I work in the rain, if it suits my needs, call me a cynic, however, if the other scaffs do not want to work in it on my site, i will not work in it. Swings and roundabouts phil my friend.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

P.S sorry Pip i forgot the LOL:sick:

Oh I totally agree Patrick.

I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong. I've worked in the p1ssing rain more times than I care to remember.

Scaffolding is a hard job at the best of times - Let alone when it's raining hard.

I always try and give the lads a bit of an incentive when it's raining. My real point was that there is still only a certain pot of money available for each job (None if the scaffs are working for a client on a day work basis!) And the money has to come from somewhere.

That's all. LOL

Last edited:
As ever, a valued post my learned mukka,lol:eek:

For the record, as there a number of new members on this site. I would just like to point out that I am NOT a member of the 'LOL' brigade.

I was just having the craic with Paddy.

PMSL :amuse:

I understand Pip LOL:love: new members might think your into that dodgy stuff, pre-emptive text or god forbid Copy and Paste and change font:eek::p

I understand Pip LOL:love: new members might think your into that dodgy stuff, pre-emptive text or god forbid Copy and Paste and change font:eek::p

:laugh: Changing the font is a complete no-no. It should be punishable by a night out with the Bulldog in my opinion.

As for this Pip thing - I can't remember who started calling me Pip on this forum. Was it that character who reckoned he was making preparations for an imaginary flying shore that he was supposed to be building?

Most of the girls in our head office start emails to me 'Dear Pippy' and pretty much every firm I've ever worked for I have been called that at some time or another. I don't know why - But I've been called a lot worse.....

bet you get called more than pips when its p!ssing hard with rain hahaha!!!

Most of the bigger companys up here pay wet time now so i dont tend to work in the rain.
As for all the smaller companys that try there luck. The lads need to grow a back bone and stick together. The wet rule was introduced for a reason. This is just another example of how our trade is fooked.

george couldnt agree more very very rarely worked in the wet stuff very very rarely aked anybody to either unfortunately its me rather than the company whos taken the hit,firms are looking for scuba divers now not scaffs.

its no good keep bringing out all these health and safety rules which were all haveing to work too when youve got to work in the rain there has got to be a bit of give and take i can understand that small firms have overheads but if the lads get treated well through out the year no one worries about a bit of give and take it should be work half a day then go home with full pay as long that the jobs safe too do.

dico your idea has its merits but alas too many outfits want blood now bad times we live in indeed.on one hand promoting safety and on the other sending men to work in torrential weather,

So what is the concensus

I for one have been trying to reconcile my feelings on working in the rain,and still come up with the same old answer

"IT DEPENDS" on what money I am earning,what day of the week it is,have I any money to cabin up in the pub,how hard is it raining,what sort of mood am I in, Is it a good earner or not,Do I like the Gaffer,Can I get any extra money,

The list is endless It boils down to your own choice you either do not work in the rain and take the consequences bearing in mind that if you can prove that there is a risk to your health and safety you can take action against your employer if he takes any disciplinary action against you.Or you work in the rain and get the job finished as soon as possible and perhaps start up the song "Singing in the rain"

I have worked in areas of Wales and the Highlands of Scotland where rain is the normal state of affairs and it seems a sunny day is as rare as rocking horse sh*t

basically i try not to and i wouldnt be coerced into it by supervision with tales of financial woe,but i understand in some circumstances it has to be done but weather i chose to do it is like rigger said all down to the mood on the day,each to their own.

basically i try not to and i wouldnt be coerced into it by supervision with tales of financial woe,but i understand in some circumstances it has to be done but weather i chose to do it is like rigger said all down to the mood on the day,each to their own.
True,well said,l don't like working in the rain either but if the job has to be done,then so be it. Never let the boss tell me or be told that money is the be all & end all. You're the one who has answer to the powers that be if it all goes pear-shaped.

Never Been Paid Wet Time In Me Puff, When I Was On The Books ,Four Hours Then Home. As A Subbie All Day(Depending On The Price )

Ive worked in some fcukin horrible weather before for one reason or another most of which have been covered in here already but I have one question.

All the lads on here who are dead set against working in the rain , what if all the companies decided to bring a policy out stating that all rainy days would be classed as no work days , therefore you werent required to travel to work if its raining when you awake on a morning, all no work days are non payable as you dont travel to work.

I await the responses. :nuts::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom