S.O.R.'s

brandy

Reaction score
Has anyone worked on sites where these are used, S.O.R's Safety Observation Reports. While it all sounds fine, the reality can be different. Workers are issued with them, and encouraged to report any unsafe act they see, or what they interpret as an unsafe act. If there is'nt a big enough uptake on this, companies now are resorting to offering rewards to the one with the most or best observation. I've worked on many job's where these are used an have never filled one in, It goes against the grain to report another worker. Some of these reports can be as trivial as a manual handling issue, or as in our case, safety glasses up over the eye cause you cant see due to fogging up. It's unreal the way things are going.

Worked offshore with the dupont stop system for many years, no one filled any credible ones in as the whole point is to have a conversation about the unsafe act

Yeah I worked on a Pharmaceutical plant in Shannon in Ireland a few years back, we used to put these S.o.r's in every day. We had a massive incentive as the best 'grass of the week' as it were received 50 euro then your name went into the hat for the end of year raffle which incidentally was a bio fuel diesel ford focus. With regards to your post Brandy, Are you telling me that if someone is working extremely dangerously you wouldn't have a word or put in an sor so that it may save their life or stop them having an accident?

DON'T WALK BY! (Carillion)

Yeah I worked on a Pharmaceutical plant in Shannon in Ireland a few years back, we used to put these S.o.r's in every day. We had a massive incentive as the best 'grass of the week' as it were received 50 euro then your name went into the hat for the end of year raffle which incidentally was a bio fuel diesel ford focus. With regards to your post Brandy, Are you telling me that if someone is working extremely dangerously you wouldn't have a word or put in an sor so that it may save their life or stop them having an accident?

DON'T WALK BY! (Carillion)
Well the chance of winning the car, agree is a great incentive. working on a pharma plant as well, not as genorous, name goes into a draw an the winner gets to nominate a charity and they pay a small sum. Must be the reccesion. The unsafe acts that crop up sometimes with us would be other trades working underneath going through the barriers, even though both have a permit to work. I would ask them to leave explaining the danger, most times thats all it takes, but if they insist on carrying on and I judge that there is a real danger, then i would report it and say it's them or us. Been clinical my thinking would be not so much for their safety, thats their stupidy, but the effect on us if something did fall and resulted in an injury, would'nt want that on my mind.

I remember Skanska operating a similar system. Dont think there any special prizes as such, might have been some sort of lucky dip or whatever but they did donate £5 I think for every report to a local charity. All started off well but as usual, deadlines approach, corners get cut, people turn a blind eye, usual stuff.
All the waffle these people give at the start of contracts is just hot air, proabably contributes a lot to global warning theres so much of it these days on sites.

Has anyone worked on sites where these are used, S.O.R's Safety Observation Reports. While it all sounds fine, the reality can be different. Workers are issued with them, and encouraged to report any unsafe act they see, or what they interpret as an unsafe act. If there is'nt a big enough uptake on this, companies now are resorting to offering rewards to the one with the most or best observation. I've worked on many job's where these are used an have never filled one in, It goes against the grain to report another worker. Some of these reports can be as trivial as a manual handling issue, or as in our case, safety glasses up over the eye cause you cant see due to fogging up. It's unreal the way things are going.

Had the same with a company i worked for, wanted all of us to put at least 3 a week in, could be a good observation as well as bad, we never really kept up with them, then when it got near the end of the month we were all threatened that we would get our bonus stopped if we didnt get a load in, for when there had there monthly meeting with the client, we worked on grid sites all over the south and south east, told there was the no blame culture, but when guys were putting in observations on one site say there had been 6, man in cherrypicker not clipped on, speeding on site, guy not wearing glasses, things like that,
next thing you know the grid boss is bollocking his manager on that site, hes then telling his men hes got in the neck, cause of these observations that have been put in by us and named the blokes that had put them in, so when you were nxt on site, they made your life miserable for you, where the would help you with a lift or 2 with there forklift or even picking fittings up, most grid sites its all shingle, so they have a gator and trailer so would run gear round for you, that all stopped making our job a lot harder and more time consuming, then youve got them watching you like hawks doing observations back on you. Your all there to achieve the same end result, not be petty thats what some safety officers are there for:notrust: and at the end of the day thats what they paid for, i think everyone would be the same as me if i saw something i thought was dangerous, or someone doing something that could cause injury or death, i would go over to them and have a word and point out the danger, if they tell you to f off then its down to you if you want to take it further and report it. ive known 2 guys that safety officers have taken photos of them not clipped on, and had them removed from site and have lost there jobs over it, what happened to coming over to you and having a word, to many warnings and dismissals over petty safety issues, no thought of the guy thats got 3 kids, big mortgage. Yeh if youve spoken to the guy on more that 2 or 3 occasions then stick a verbal warning in on him and then a written, but to have instant dismissal for not clipped on or no safety glasses for gross misconduct just sucks, thats why most people dont like safety officers, even the german army, there officers and men didnt like the SS and thats what some of the safety guys are like today.:sad:

Yeah I have on many Mine and gas sites. Observation are quite Random as you can walk up to any crew or even a site Supervisor and do an observation.

I'm into for the Safety side of things but should be on a No name No blame policy. As companies are trying take out the human factor of No Harm on site WELL THATS ********, mabe give us Scaffys and Tradies a the chance for com'n sense and let us think instead of breathing down the Boys F##KEN neck

i had some safety officer put a complaint in over a pint of milk in the fridge that had gone off. as they couldnt find anything else to find.luckly there are a lot of good ones.

We have to get the lads to fill them in, at least one a week , but they use them for every think else as they have a nice pencil in

The welders were reported for not wearing their ppe while welding. Hard hats and hi vis. How stupid can you get.

Top Bottom