How many people do you know that have failed a scaffold course

Is it the one all the Scottish i work with call the "Pie Factory" cos he knocked scaffolders out quicker than pies........

Can't remember the Guy's name, but I think that is the SCORE tickets.

Two lads from our firm did their part one in Blackburn,said there where people on it never used a spanner before,all passed,same on the part two,got the impression if you pay you pass.Looks good on the training record of the company,God help the firm that employs them!!

I can see people passing part 1, but not part 2 if they have no idea... especially part 2 assesment..

Sent one of my lads on his part 1, Told me there was 4 poles could'nt speak english and had to have an interpreter, Apparently they had'nt a clue about scaffolding either but still passed. Heard the instructor was a mate of the guy who was employing them. Money not only talks but currupts.

I'snt part 1 a training course ? it does'nt qualify you as a scaff, so not sure you can fail it ??

On My part 2 Hillington 1982 two guys that failed their first attempt passed at 2nd attempt
It was pathetic watching them strip the trapese from a hanger- they both loosened the back of the double before sliding the trapese up, but instead of raising it up together one pulled up his hanger 3 foot till it jammed, the other the other was pulling like feck but it was also jammed
The instructor just shook his head and walked away

They both passed

I'snt part 1 a training course ? it does'nt qualify you as a scaff, so not sure you can fail it ??

According to this letter I have in front of me, yes. ""The training is intended as an introduction to scaffolding...." "The training objectives are..." etc etc....

But I have heard of people getting booted off the course in the past for being well... pr!cks.

when i went on my part 1 a lad from sgb shud of failed but didnt he didnt understand that you have to brace the lift to get it level so he just did everything up which i had to undo and correct and then he failed his test at the end only getting bout 65% right but the assessor /instructor made him stay at the end and change answers with the answer sheet and my m8 told a lad to copy his test and the lad even copied his name he was called martyn glynn but wrote kenny harris how thick have you got to be to do that lol

They where on the part two doing drops when one of the other lads told them he was scared of heights!!Honest this isn't a "my mates aunty's hairdressers babysitters brother said"This is genuine.

young lad i had at sgb went do his part2 also with a supervisor(yea supervisor with part1)he came back and said the supervisor was an utter embaressment,swivels on for doubles,couldnt do anything right.also he was being cocky with the other trainees in front of the instructor,who done nothing and ultimately passed this clown.its passed being funny these so called training centres are eroding our profession by giving passes out like candy,how many more tale like this do we have to tell to get change.embaresment.

Passed the course,no one seems to fail,still got to get proof of work done ect.Chris the scaff who was on the two courses has been scaffolding for over 30 years but because he's had the wrong card?? He's had to spend a fortune getting back up to a part two,this is a guy who's run more sites and jobs than most.System stinks,a plastic card does not make you a scaffolder!!It's about time the unions stepped in and did something about the way this is going,men with years of experience getting told they can't scaffold any more unless they have a certain card!Yet people with little or no experience are getting cards,makes no sense to me.You can have all the cards,qualifications under the sun, doesn't mean you can actually do the job(bosses are a prime example)The old adage "actions speak louder than words" comes to mind.

We all know that money talks, it also curupts. The companies pay and supply the raw material to the training centres and expect a return namely a pass. The centre with the highest pass rate will get repeat business. The instructor is only an employee of the owners of the training centre and he knows the score, start failing trainee's and he's out the door. The instructor is an ex scaff supposedly with a wealth of experience and I wonder how he balances his principals versus the need to keep his job. Unfair pressure is placed on him and I think the only solution is for a licensening system not just for the training centre but also for the instructor himself that way he would be accountable to a gov't body to assess his performance and give him a degree of independance from the pressure of the training centres.

the current situation is untenable mate,they are not going to let go of power and loose their golden goose.meanwhile like you say the milkybar kids running the show while clint eastwoods had his guns removed,the only way for change is direct action in what shape or form im not sure.maybe in time the sccr could start providing real training,at affordable cost and make the candidate realy feel he or she has been tutored.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

good shout brandy,excellent idea mate.that would be for the good of the whole industry,personaly i would like to see a move away from profit making training as the lure of the dollar corrupts as you mentioned.

The firms have got to take some blame for this.They seem to kowtow to any changes being made,how can firms let time served men rot at home and employ people with little or no experience all for the sake of some poxy card!I'm all for people getting the right training but isn't that down to the individual firms to provide, you can't learn to be a scaff in two weeks and yes I know it's supposed to be an assesment,so how can people who have never turned a spanner get a part one?That's what's happening,seem to remember scaffolders in Ireland going on strike for better rates etc,maybe that's what we should do.though I doubt you'd get a 100% doing it,remember the building strike in the 70's?

This may be true or not ?/. but at least the trainees are having some training.. as opposed to the EICTB.. who only had to fill a form in. think you'll find most training courses run this way nowadays, not saying the EICTB are crap.. some maybe..some not.. at least by getting some training its got to give the people doing it some idea of how to scaffold .

You learn to scaffold on the job not in a classroom,how many problems are there on these courses?It's in a controlled environment,OK fine for learning facts and figures but actual erecting? As for EITCB v CITB,there's ***** in both camps.

I agree and thats the way it happens best..but hope the person teaching on the job knows what he's doing ?? if he does great... but you need to the classroom theory to comply with British standards..

1969 scaff. Seem to remember scaffolders in Ireland going on strike for better rates etc.
I was one of them, it happened in 99 and we were out for 8 weeks, The strike was not so much against the scaffolding companies who were willing to pay but kept telling us they could'nt cause the builders federation would'nt entertain them passing an increase on. Finally we decided to force the issue and closed every major construction project, It took 8 weeks and we got a lot of support from the other unions and workers. In the end they had no option but to pay. Times are different now, We done it at the height of a boom, much more difficult to organise now.

Top Bottom