why is it that companys never put there job postcodes on the induction stickers

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

why is it that companys never put there job postcodes on the induction stickers for emergency contact information. so if there is ever a need to call the emergency services you actually have the postcode very close to hand if it is on your safety helmet.

With today being a mobile phone culture if there was ever an emergency or accident and the emergency services were required then with most contractors these days going from job to job how many actually know the exact location of where they are actually working.

By doing such a simple thing as to have the job postcode on induction stickers which are placed onto the safety helmets, how many minutes could be saved and more import How Many LIVES could be saved.

This simple idea does not cost anything except a little bit of thinking prior to starting and contracts.

Maybe the HSE should emforce this onto building contractors as a regulation.

Whats your thoughts on this.

Maybe this could be the scaffolders forum task for 2012.

Scaffolding Safety Services is 100% behind the idea.

A copy of this has been forwarded to the HSE aswell.

I was told of an accident where a certain person suffered a fall from a ladder recently and hit his head on some stuck up re-bar as he landed.( this person is now disabled)
His work mate phoned the emergency services and when they asked where they where his location was he actually didnt know as the both of them had been working on serveral different sites over the 12 weeks previous for this major contractor on new bulid schools in the yorkshire area.

Last edited:
think theres a product or tag around similar to that idea

there is the scafftag emergancy tag for a persons medical details and contact info but it doesnt stick very good. But im mainly aiming at companies and contractors as a whole with this 1 Scaffy. For every site is a new site sticker with that job postcode on it.

I have to admit Steve strange as this may sound to a lot of people working on bigger sites all the time I actually think that's great idea. We are on multiple sites on a daily basis and to be honest I couldn't guide the emergency services to any of them with official information that they could use anyway. This was borne out on on tragic journey home after a wedding at Loch lomond we came across a fatal car crash, I phoned for the emergency service straight away as whilst the driver was obviously dead we were not sure if anyone else was involved as there were a couple of child seats in the car. I could tell them exactly where I was, so many miles North of a particular village or even a well known landmark but couldn't tell them the name of the road I was on even though I've driven it all my life. Long winded way to say, yeah good idea.

So take a leaf out of the american culture and have a complete collage of stickers on your hat? So say you work on 15 to 20 sites in the month, what then? Put all them stickers on?

I also think its a good idea.
That and having your Blood Type on your Hard Hat aswell.

Sounds silly, but at Farringdon they gave you these things called 'I.C.E' or In Case of Emergency.
Its a sticker that you can write your emergency contact details, just incase that your injured on a job, the Paramedics know: Your Name, Your Age, Who you Work for, Your Next of Kin, Any Allergies you have and so on.

A good idea that should be used all over, tbh.

Doesn't have to be a sticker, what else could you use for scaffs on multiple sites daily?

you could have a chalk board on ya helmet and re write it every time you went to site or a different helmet for every job , wasnt grum inventing something similar steve??

In the case you mentioned SSS
"His work mate phoned the emergency services and when they asked where they where his location was he actually didnt know as the both of them had been working on serveral different sites over the 12 weeks previous for this major contractor on new bulid schools in the yorkshire area."

The guys would have had several site stickers, with different postcodes on, and by the sound of them would still not have known where they were

Much better covered at first induction to site, when the name & address of the site and site telephone number could be put into a mobile phone or written in a small notebook

PS On most sat-navs there is a feature that will show your current location

Last edited:
It could be, but most Scaffolders i know cant even be bothered to buy their own Tape Measure, let alone use and carry a small notebook, lol.

Oh yes I remember now, not sure if I would be too worried about that but I take the point it could be useful but the other thing is easily dismissed but in an emergency it's amazing how difficult it is to relay basic information to someone with no knowledge of the area.

i thought ya was never meant to stick stickers or write on ya hard hat as it would hide any defects.... that what i always been told.

Thats the rumour, but f.uck it. I put loads on mine, lol.
I even have a big Union Jack sticker on the back, just like my Avatar Picture on this Forum. :)

i thought ya was never meant to stick stickers or write on ya hard hat as it would hide any defects.... that what i always been told.

Did they not change the adhesive on hat stickers now so as not to affect them?

if someone has an accident on any site the first aiders should be alerted and they surely know the site address.
i would also be dubious about the details on your hat with some of the vagabonds ive met on sites that would lift anyones hat if they didnt have one already,as well as your grub,belt, paper you fecking name it

Top Bottom