Why Bother...

moanalot

Reaction score
Priced a job last week for a crew we do a bit for.We quoted £26,000 no real profit, full design (sg whatever) stair towers to all elevations,Beams over roofs tons of adaptions for follow on trades proper strict site H&S...Guess what?? we were knocked out the ring.The price that took it...(not the company) the price...£16,000... What a loada B**llocks...How you suppose to employ people and play the game when its all down to the lowest friggin price...:mad:

a lot of companys are takeing jobs on at a loss now dont ask why:confused: just to keep men in work big mobz can take a hit like that but not small ones its the way it is now thats probaly why there cutting the rates but still want the same graft out of ye bolllocks:mad:

Priced a job last week for a crew we do a bit for.We quoted £26,000 no real profit, full design (sg whatever) stair towers to all elevations,Beams over roofs tons of adaptions for follow on trades proper strict site H&S...Guess what?? we were knocked out the ring.The price that took it...(not the company) the price...£16,000... What a loada B**llocks...How you suppose to employ people and play the game when its all down to the lowest friggin price...:mad:

It's always worth asking what has been included by the other contractor, as it's often the case that their tender quote does not allow for various items.

Inside guardrails (if required) etc. are often ommited, heavy duty loading scaffolds are often priced for say 2.0kN/M2 when you've priced for a 5.0kN/M2, for example, hire periods are often reduced to make the price appear more attractive at a first glance.

These are usually backed up with a hefty schedule of rates.

It's always worth checking and asking where you've gone wrong and these details quite often emerge.

It's always worth asking what has been included by the other contractor, as it's often the case that their tender quote does not allow for various items.

Inside guardrails (if required) etc. are often ommited, heavy duty loading scaffolds are often priced for say 2.0kN/M2 when you've priced for a 5.0kN/M2, for example, hire periods are often reduced to make the price appear more attractive at a first glance.

These are usually backed up with a hefty schedule of rates.

It's always worth checking and asking where you've gone wrong and these details quite often emerge.
Asked the QS have they quoted like for like and he said this other crowd have come in on all risk with no extras the same as us...The magic words {{{{ALL RISK}}}} are very popular with building firms up here...No way can you do that job for what they quoted...slow suicide....

Hiya Moanalot, you can bet your bottom dollar there gonna get exactly what the've paid for,no doubt you will end up getting a call to put everything right,then hit them where it hurts.
Good luck.

Asked the QS have they quoted like for like and he said this other crowd have come in on all risk with no extras the same as us...The magic words {{{{ALL RISK}}}} are very popular with building firms up here...No way can you do that job for what they quoted...slow suicide....

Let em take it and commit suicide then mate.....

The QS will always tell you that, unfortunetly its supply and demand, plenty willing to supply, less demand. Though £10,000 difference on £26,000 is a lot, something wrong somewhere.

The QS will always tell you that, unfortunetly its supply and demand, plenty willing to supply, less demand. Though £10,000 difference on £26,000 is a lot, something wrong somewhere.
Everyone seems to be playing stick the tail on the Donkey with a blindfold on...

Let them have the risk then mate , while they are there doing the job for nothing they are not competeing with you elsewhere. You have to blame these qs's ,they know you can't get a decent job for the money being asked ,but they still ask. When it all goes wrong they act like its the biggest shock known to western civilisation.

Threre that was a sensible answer wasn't it, I expect to be thanked for that !

Let them have the risk then mate , while they are there doing the job for nothing they are not competeing with you elsewhere. You have to blame these qs's ,they know you can't get a decent job for the money being asked ,but they still ask. When it all goes wrong they act like its the biggest shock known to western civilisation.

Threre that was a sensible answer wasn't it, I expect to be thanked for that !

It was reasonably sensible and for that reason, I 'thanked' you.

However, it was nothing that has been said already really, was it?

Get some new material mate or scaffmag will go down the pan!

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Oh yeah and where's my 'thanks'?

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Thanks

i priced a job at £1800 for the local council,another firm quoted £1200,they got the job,then hit them with £600 of extras.go figure.watch what happens next.:suspicious:

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Thanks
Phil, it wouldn't be a forum if we didn't all say the same thing in a round about way would it ? I was really thinking "wow get in there you undercutting ,go getting unticketed, not insured , pikey , money-grabbing dodge pots" but I didn't want to upset Moanalot in his hour of need.

Thanks please...........................

Phil, it wouldn't be a forum if we didn't all say the same thing in a round about way would it ? I was really thinking "wow get in there you undercutting ,go getting unticketed, not insured , pikey , money-grabbing dodge pots" but I didn't want to upset Moanalot in his hour of need.

Thanks please...........................

Er, I made two excellent comments on page 1 that you haven't thanked me for....

i priced a job at £1800 for the local council,another firm quoted £1200,they got the job,then hit them with £600 of extras.go figure.watch what happens next.:suspicious:
The people with no morals are the ones that seem to just breeze through these rotten times...we took a job off sgb once because on the previous job the extras bill made the scaffold price x 5...whose the mug?? sgb had just hit them for doing 1 job 5 times so they didn't need the next 4 jobs anyway...

Everyone seems to be playing stick the tail on the Donkey with a blindfold on...
Not recommended, I was thought how to price work when I worked for SGB, though it was a long time ago its still relevant. Dont just put in a lump sum, itemise everything you quote for ie, each section of the job detail etc, make it look proffesional so that the Q/S or whoever recognize's that you have studied in detail his requirements. A well laid out quote will usually get you to the negotiating stage and thats where the real dealing takes place, your still in the frame.

Not recommended, I was thought how to price work when I worked for SGB, though it was a long time ago its still relevant. Dont just put in a lump sum, itemise everything you quote for ie, each section of the job detail etc, make it look proffesional so that the Q/S or whoever recognize's that you have studied in detail his requirements. A well laid out quote will usually get you to the negotiating stage and thats where the real dealing takes place, your still in the frame.
10 grand cheaper got them a first class ticket to the prize...but I appreciate what you're saying...

10 grand cheaper got them a first class ticket to the prize...but I appreciate what you're saying...

Not much of a prize mate. They're just keeping the bank manager at bay.

As I said before, let em take it....

Let them have it moanalot they wont be around for very long if thats the way they price work, i was always taught that 1 good job is better then 3 bad ones.
We struggle sometimes for work like everyone but there aint no point in going to work for nothing.

Top Bottom