Who's Having Them All?

spannerman

Reaction score
Boards that is----------we had a delivery this week and the driver asked what's going on, we are moving/delivering 30,000 boards a DAY and have been for a couple of months, I mean thats 150,000 boards a WEEK. And this is just one supplier!

Will there be a shortage soon?

That's a lot of timber. We have bought around 3000 boards over the past 6 months, but I think most were being replaced although we do have a lot more fully boarded jobs standing as we ever did due to the amount of councils doing render works.

Think it might be to do with timber frame fully boarded jobs as well, loads in our area.
Also even sites doing progressive are having 2.0m lifts to save on cost of adaptations, so on a standard house extra boards on 2nd lift then raised for roof lift then dropped back down for render,

Yeah, I would agree with that. Here, the new build has slowed a little though but your right, all want fully boarded at no extra cost to reduce the requirement for adaptions. I don't mind, I fekin hate alterations anyway.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Here, the new build has slowed a little though but your right, all want fully boarded at no extra cost to reduce the requirement for adaptions. I don't mind, I fekin hate alterations anyway.

Alteration good money back in the good ole days on target, check double under lift, sit on top, undo, hey presto, double bubble for dis and Re.
Not allowed to do it now though are we;)

Oh yeah, we would never ever do that.:embarrest:

I tell my clients that every week.;)

If the rumour mill is to be believed, your boards will be good for sole pads and fire wood shortly when SG4:16 comes into play.

What changes, first I have heard of it?

As I said 2016 is the proposed doomsday whereby all timber boards will be considered defunct in order to comply with the NASC's nonsensical guidelines. Having said that, the 'heads up' I refer to was on here on another thread recently. I think my reply was 'the game's f@cked' which it really will be should this come to pass.

Last edited:
Never heard anything about that, which doesn't mean it won't happen but can't see it being honest. We are looking at alternatives, the timber omega boards we have are at the end of their working life. I bought a few hundred metal pans to try out, which are ok but I just can't get my head around the extra width, what's that all about. I wouldn't mind going down the plastic route but they are still very expensive with one supplier. Don't think timber will be going anytime soon.

I'm sure it was on the thread you started about the digital guide to SG:13 or whatever the f@ck it's called now.

I'm sure it was on the thread you started about the digital guide to SG:13 or whatever the f@ck it's called now.

I think that the comment about boards was one of Phil's wind up comments - I hope :confused:

Having said that, 225mm wide x 38mm steel decks in 13' etc. lengths are now available. Had the flyer through from a supplier not long back - pretty much a Layher type deck without the claws, and in T&F dimensions. Looked a good piece of kit - more upfront cost but should last a good deal longer than timber. Might have to get some to try out - my concerns would be how well they stand up to damage, and what steel on steel is like for sliding about.

Jonnymush was on a week or two ago asking how to lash them down as laps. They must have some form of retaining clip to stop the sliding about.

I think that the comment about boards was one of Phil's wind up comments - I hope :confused:

Having said that, 225mm wide x 38mm steel decks in 13' etc. lengths are now available. Had the flyer through from a supplier not long back - pretty much a Layher type deck without the claws, and in T&F dimensions. Looked a good piece of kit - more upfront cost but should last a good deal longer than timber. Might have to get some to try out - my concerns would be how well they stand up to damage, and what steel on steel is like for sliding about.

I hope it was, sincerely. You never know on this forum who's having a laugh. If timber boards are goin to be outlawed, I think I'll be hanging the spanners up for good.:push:

Jonnymush was on a week or two ago asking how to lash them down as laps. They must have some form of retaining clip to stop the sliding about.

There is a spring clip that goes under the transom, but it's one of those things that looks easily lost, and a pain to use when decking out temporarily. I know our lads aren't keen on using boards with nail plates as they slide easier on the transoms so I'm sure they'll love a full steel deck :laugh:

Never used them other than the system ones and even then it was just really for hop-ups and the odd bay. Plastic would be the way to go if a bit more affordable.

Never used them other than the system ones and even then it was just really for hop-ups and the odd bay. Plastic would be the way to go if a bit more affordable.

The plastic boards slide even easier by all accounts, and I wasn't keen on them for T&F as they're the same thickness as battens. These new steel decks are 38mm thick, same as boards.

Top Bottom