Who wants to keep the scaffstep?

I have posted many times we like it and feel it does the job when used correctly.

I won't use it... its dangerous, topping out over the handrail.. clueless cu.nts...

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Not referring to you AOm, we must have posted about the same time. But how can topping out over a 950mm handrail be considered safe ?? manual handling and not to mention the poor **** it could land on if you slip...

If you work on 'Newbuild' the scaff step is not designed for that, as your above the so called 'Scaffolder safe zone' you then need a pedestal or platform bench. The whole thing is a crock of sh1t, trying to encompass scaffolders into WAHR 2005.

FFS somebody has to go up there...... thats us, leave us alone to do our jobs, and then the rest can do theirs on a safe working platform. Compensation culture.........aarrrrgh does my napper in.:mad:

I won't use it... its dangerous, topping out over the handrail.. clueless cu.nts...

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Not referring to you AOm, we must have posted about the same time. But how can topping out over a 950mm handrail be considered safe ?? manual handling and not to mention the poor **** it could land on if you slip...

No problem Cala, opinions don't upset me. Going over the hand rail is just another skill we have had to learn and to be honest it's very easy when you get used to it. I remember being worried about it before I had ever used it and any trainer conveniently skipped over the subject as they had never actually done it and had no idea if it was easy or not. I did ask the questions in the early days on the forum and most posts were the usual but one guy did help me and told me to do it at an angle and it will surprise you just how simple it is. The rail being in place also increases the confidence that you won't be caught out and over balance. Also, I was a bit of a radge and insisted a paddy went in but now all I ask is you put in what you can comfortably put in and the smallest guy in the squad can take out. Another point is we do have to use something, it's not hse or nasc it's European law and the alternative is another load of light gauge crap sitting amongst tons of heavy steel that I would need to replace at regular intervals.

If you work on 'Newbuild' the scaff step is not designed for that, as your above the so called 'Scaffolder safe zone' you then need a pedestal or platform bench. The whole thing is a crock of sh1t, trying to encompass scaffolders into WAHR 2005.

FFS somebody has to go up there...... thats us, leave us alone to do our jobs, and then the rest can do theirs on a safe working platform. Compensation culture.........aarrrrgh does my napper in.:mad:

Paddy, we do new builds all the time and I don't get how you can't do it.

used it on a pharmaceutical site and found it ok,but im still of the opinion that we as scaffolders do need free movement to be able to do our jobs safely.
as paddy correctly stated we erect scaffolds so that others can have a safe working platform at height

Boy's, I don't expect to change any views on here but try it seriously for a continued period of time with an open mind and I think you might change your opinion.

Alistair mate

On a new build we normally have a Foot scaff,1st lift, 2nd lift, 3rd lift then peaks. Had a wee drink matey, however the lift heights dont work for the step i have the info somewhere on this puter thing, will post it tomoz:embarrest:

Don't tell me the right honourable Paddy Carr is struggling to work his thingwybob due to an excess of alcohol in his system, Paddy, I'm shocked and stunned that this should be the case.:D

We have the same lifts Paddy so will look forward to your findings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scaff steps were made for to be used with 2m lifts, so there was always a handrail at 1m height as you were installing Ledgers and Guardrails.

The Scaffstep was not designed for Brickie lifts on 'Newbuild' as typical lifts are 1.5m and top lift 1m. On a 1 m lift not a problem, reach up and instal AGR. However, 1.5 lifts if using the scaffstep are dangerous,as the ledger is 500mm below height to act as handrail.

Enter SG4:10 for newbuild bricklaying scaffolds, the scaffstep is not suitable, however, a 500mm platform can overcome this problemThis is not a quote mind.....So another bit of kit to lug about.

Can you not just put in both hand rails and use the bottom one for the next lift? Have to admit Paddy we don't do progressive for new builds as most new builds we do are for joiners and kit erectors so we don't have that problem. If we were building a kit from tube we put first lift at 2m then 4m then a wee half lift at the top which lets them install all roof coverings then remove it and the brickie has a nice lift height to finish his wall. System usually goes foot tie 1m, 3m then 5m but depends who is in charge of the job and what they particularly want. If I'm honest I don't think it would take a scaff with your experience to make the step work.

Don't have it Paddy what does it say.

Alistair mate

Of course we could make it work......However, we wernt CONSULTED, thats why we are here mate, the clever clogs sipping champers with smoked Salmon blinis arnt talking to the guys with Lagers and Kebabs, the Guys in the know.

Paddy
"FFS somebody has to go up there...... thats us, leave us alone to do our jobs, and then the rest can do theirs on a safe working platform. Compensation culture.........aarrrrgh does my napper in.:mad:"

Daftscaff
"but im still of the opinion that we as scaffolders do need free movement to be able to do our jobs safely."

Good points lads, I must concur, with your views

My way of thinking is to let the scaffs get on with thier jobs in a manner they feel safe with. We should be excempted from a lot of the working at height regulations.We are the safest workers at height bar none,look at the incident figures. Thats including all the sh*t that scaffolders are made to wear that hinders us when erecting scaffolds.

I think that the law makers believe we are related to fecking lemming's and will hurle ourselves off the first open edge we see

As for the step the first time I saw it being used, I nearly p*ssed myself laughing. Now I only Cry at the practices scaffolders have to endure to make a living

Alistair mate

Of course we could make it work......However, we wernt CONSULTED, thats why we are here mate, the clever clogs sipping champers with smoked Salmon blinis arnt talking to the guys with Lagers and Kebabs, the Guys in the know.

Neither were the hse or the nasc, it was the regulations that changed and this was just one of many suggestions to help us comply without getting sued. It's people like me that make the men use them as I have deemed it the simplest usable piece of equipment needed to comply without that other guff gear on offer. On the longer straight runs we also erect a hand rail just above the permanent one and slide it which feels a bit quicker but to be honest unless I sat at the bottom of the job with a stop watch and timed it your never completely sure. Consultation is fine but eventually someone somewhere has to make a decision or we would still be working in the dark ages, were you consulted on the use of a harness?

Maybe a bit heavy if you are enjoying a few sherberts Paddy, feel free to ignore this one.:amuse:

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Paddy
"FFS somebody has to go up there...... thats us, leave us alone to do our jobs, and then the rest can do theirs on a safe working platform. Compensation culture.........aarrrrgh does my napper in.:mad:"

Daftscaff
"but im still of the opinion that we as scaffolders do need free movement to be able to do our jobs safely."

Good points lads, I must concur, with your views

My way of thinking is to let the scaffs get on with thier jobs in a manner they feel safe with. We should be excempted from a lot of the working at height regulations.We are the safest workers at height bar none,look at the incident figures. Thats including all the sh*t that scaffolders are made to wear that hinders us when erecting scaffolds.

I think that the law makers believe we are related to fecking lemming's and will hurle ourselves off the first open edge we see

As for the step the first time I saw it being used, I nearly p*ssed myself laughing. Now I only Cry at the practices scaffolders have to endure to make a living

What would you use Rigger?

hardly anyone uses this piece of ***** anyway, its on the wagon, thats were it should stay....

Top Bottom