white fingers

only been using the drill fer about two months,middle finger throbbing like mad,had to revert to the old spanner but got a nasty feeling damage is already done as now struggling to grip me spanner.got appointment with the doc next week and quietly worried what he might say,have read up on vwf online and it pretty much says once you've got it yer feced,also says usually takes approx 10 years to get symptoms,so just using one fer two months should not be a problem surely.
Had 30+ years using a spanner and no probs,will be totally pished off if the doc says it is vwf,other workmates also having joint problems since using the drill,surely these drill manufacturers have got to sort this before they offer them to our trade,jobs hard enough without this added hassle.
Anyone else had similar problems?

No never.

i think we're worring over something and nothing tbh - i use a mac everyday but if u actually did a controllled test on the time (as its only quick bursts) u would prob be well within limits_let face it chippies have been using them for years and they dont get WF,
the noise can be a problem and i've taken to wearing plugs in confined spaces and on str treddas , i think my back hurts more from lugging all the xtra tube around that i can now deal with rather than my trigger finger lolo

Some Guys spouting Sh1te, stop Joiners using Nail guns, They go 'Bang' Stop Mechanics using Impact wrenchs, they might shear the nuts off our wheels.

News of the World, front page, must of been hacked.

"Impact Wrenchs to be banned,".
After a undercover operation by our Scaffolding experts, we have uncovered a database of scaffolders that are invading the country, and artificially adding and loosening Scaffold couplers without a swingover spanner. The outcry from this wayward use of traditional scaffolding operations is deafening in it's proof of inadequeatsy.

Garry and the SCCR, set the ball rolling for the benefit of the Troops. However, they never took us up on the challenge.

Seems quite a few guys and Scaffs are shagging off the IW, I was
One. Try before you buy, and Cry if it goes Bye bye.

Ad say the day you see hamltons pit team using a swing over instead of a impact may be the day some scaff also revert back to a swingover lol

I guess only time will tell what the effects of using these drills will have,can't see the relevence made with chippies and their drills,nail guns has,they would not come close to us as to usage per day and surely steel on steel creates more vibration than any steel on timber.
Like the subject of how much more tonnage we're churning up with the drills,could'nt agree more,even the bosses agree and some i'm told even pay fer them fer your use,ask fer a few extra shillings as they're making more profit and your met with that bbbut we've got to stay competative and times are hard drivel as he tanks off out the yard in his latest 4x4.

To be honest the jobs a joint and back destroyer anyway I would not mind knowing what the average weight the average scaff carries over his carrier going of a ton a day for example.

I found this I posted on a thread a couple of years back.

Scaff's Fact File,

During your average working life you will handle 90,000 tonnes of equipment, this equates to:

180,000,000 meteres of tube

54,000,000 fittings

4,000,000 boards

or the aircraft carrier the U.S Nimitz.

Also, if you erect on average scaffold 6m high daily during your working life you would have erected scaffolding equivalent to a height of 32 miles or 52000 meteres, this equates to:

12140 London Buses (14ft)

920 Nelson Columns (185ft)

173 Eiffel Towers (986ft)

or

6 Mount Everests (29000ft)

I would love to tell you all I sat and worked that little lot out. Unfortunately I found it on the back of an nasc health and safety watch from 2006. I knew I had seen the info somewhere but couldn't remember where and it has taken me till now to find it. Sorry for the delay.

If anyone is interested there is a HAVS calculator on the HSE website. I'll see if a can post it on here for all to use. Good little thing, i've used it to do the HAVS limits on our hammer drills and the recip saws, you'd be surprised as to how little time they recommend for using certain tools.

I may be wrong but I thought RV or someone posted a calc for these guns and they were fine as long as you only used your 2 batteries in a day.

for those of you using impact wrenches [ me included ] found out today vibration tools are graded between 1 - 12 [brandon tool hire ] and your cordless impact wrench is graded as a 12, thats right, top of the tree. need to consider whether its worth it in the long term. apparently once you have "white finger" its not reversible

Oh. I've started using one recently. Will have to make sure my mitts don't start suffering.....

You too Jay???
Soon ill be the only Scaff using a Spanner, lol.

We will get you in the end as well Jason.;)

You too Jay???
Soon ill be the only Scaff using a Spanner, lol.

Haha yeah I'm back on Spires now and every scaff and his pet dog uses the damn things. Problem is if you don't use one, you suffer as all the nuts are on the ends of the bolts, so you spend forever doing them up! And you know how rare oiled fittings are becoming.

So far I'd say they are quicker, they're clumsy things though if you've got to tramp about a huge site like I have to, so take some getting used to.

Talking of which we're on an old MOD site, and sometimes they dig up bombs there. One day we started to get evacuated as they found 2 HUGE bombs... but then we got called back. Turns out they just mistook Ben Flynns huge arms for bombs!!! :eek::weird:

if anyone is interested there is a havs calculator on the hse website. I'll see if a can post it on here for all to use. Good little thing, i've used it to do the havs limits on our hammer drills and the recip saws, you'd be surprised as to how little time they recommend for using certain tools.

i my swing overs havs limits are as followed turn up on job strip handrails theres quater of me time then trannies then ledgers now only got time for next lift of handrails so get them done by 9am and thats me reached me limit only option is the pub lol

Top Bottom