white fingers

g-scaff

Reaction score
for those of you using impact wrenches [ me included ] found out today vibration tools are graded between 1 - 12 [brandon tool hire ] and your cordless impact wrench is graded as a 12, thats right, top of the tree. need to consider whether its worth it in the long term. apparently once you have "white finger" its not reversible

g-scaff

Good call---however, perhaps use control measures, i.e. vibration absorbent gloves---rotation when working as a Squad, 1 shift on the deck, 1 shift on the deck...

We used needle guns offshore, and they gave us vibration gloves, sure I heard they did no good though, I never had a problem, but sure I was told that ,

garry, will look into the vibration gloves as it would be a wrench [ pardon the pun ] to work without it now. i seem to remember seeing a pair in a tool supply shop, but from memory seemed very bulky

g-scaff

time weighed averages should come into play---measure how many couplers are deployed in 15 min for example, average it out and find out how long the Scaff is exposed to the hazard---New Generation Impact Wrenches will have a more absorption tolerance---new materials which are selected designed will make up the dynamic parts of the drive system, this provision will reduce the noise and vibration within the Tool. New technologies are developing improved Power Tools.

Garry...

whats a scaff doing with a needle gun,i thaught i heard it all with the impact wrench.what are you doing with the needle gun chipping off the concrete so you can get a double round the tube.do you work for mcalpines bud:bigsmile:

when I 1st started offshore mate, 18 year ago, when it was quiet we used to work with the painters/blasters... very therapuetic needle gunning ;)

don't waste your money, the anti-vibration gloves don't work:eek:

Orac

I hope things are going well---is there any other control measures you might think of ???.

Garry...

Hello Gary, I'd say alternate left & right hands, limit amount of time you use it, although in practice it could be a bit difficult, it should really be designed for the job in hand, after all they arent designed to erect or dismantle scaffolding, the designers should make them so they are fit for purpose, ie lightweight, minimal amount of vibrating parts, ambidextrous etc, the tool manufacturing companies could be onto a winner 

Orac

All good points and are under Manufacturers consideration---New Generation Power Spanner on the way...

Have the companies with lads using the wrenches carried out a risk assessment for the use of this tool ?
What's is the impact if dropped for height ?
Are there being use in oil and gas plants ? If so under what permit HOT \ Cold ?
Are there calibrated and how offten ?
Does the charging unit get pack tested and certified ?
Can the torc be changed for pins ?
Are vibration data sheets being filed ? Ie hours work per day ?

I am all for making the job that little bit easier but at what cost to documentation and following HSE regulations ?

only been using the drill fer about two months,middle finger throbbing like mad,had to revert to the old spanner but got a nasty feeling damage is already done as now struggling to grip me spanner.got appointment with the doc next week and quietly worried what he might say,have read up on vwf online and it pretty much says once you've got it yer feced,also says usually takes approx 10 years to get symptoms,so just using one fer two months should not be a problem surely.
Had 30+ years using a spanner and no probs,will be totally pished off if the doc says it is vwf,other workmates also having joint problems since using the drill,surely these drill manufacturers have got to sort this before they offer them to our trade,jobs hard enough without this added hassle.
Anyone else had similar problems?

only been using the drill fer about two months,middle finger throbbing like mad,had to revert to the old spanner but got a nasty feeling damage is already done as now struggling to grip me spanner.got appointment with the doc next week and quietly worried what he might say,have read up on vwf online and it pretty much says once you've got it yer feced,also says usually takes approx 10 years to get symptoms,so just using one fer two months should not be a problem surely.
Had 30+ years using a spanner and no probs,will be totally pished off if the doc says it is vwf,other workmates also having joint problems since using the drill,surely these drill manufacturers have got to sort this before they offer them to our trade,jobs hard enough without this added hassle.
Anyone else had similar problems?

******** my friend, plus your using the wrong finger, Index finger is the Trigger finger, however, i could be wrong..... you might have 6 fingers on each hand.lol:D

To be honest the jobs a joint and back destroyer anyway I would not mind knowing what the average weight the average scaff carries over his carrier going of a ton a day for example.

the hilti 14.4 is 7m/s and when we did the havs on it for 300 fittings a day it came out around 12 mins of continual use ...
that was nowhere near any harmful range for vibration white finger spread over 7 hrs work its nothing like a breaker of for example long stints of drilling

the problem i would think is more the noise ( 85 db right on the ear protection limit ) so i look to mitigate that when using one rather than the vibration ......

those above calcs are mine and not done under scientific conditions but i am not at all bothered by the vibration side of things.......

extrapolate that further and look at the repetitive stress using the swing over then again i look at that as a worthwhile trade off

the other concern i had was how much more tube i am using especially striking as it is so quick with the iw I'm moving a lot more tonnage a day more long and boards etc

all my opinion of course

Top Bottom