Where the real danger now lies.

Very similar to u alister with the lorry & van service intervals. Not fully trackered yet but will be renewing most of the fleet next year so will tracker up. All lorrys have reversing cameras & sensors & the vans have air bags.
The drivers reponsible for normal daily vechile log & checking, with me doing a weekly one.
Random alcohol tests are maintained as standard as well as the normal no smoking & seatbelts rules. & recently a 90min max driving time before rest or driver change.
So tbh not a lot more we can do without being too draconian.normal rules for private use are u bend it u mend it & if caught D&D instant dismissle.

No doubt he is but as long as i dont i aint bothered.

Anyway feeding time at the zoo.....speak to you all soon..

on shell and bp etc they now have driving as one of the key points in safety alongside w@h confined space etc.You shoulds know your site speeds seatbelt and also plan journeys IE from site to head office
how many have worked on sites where a forklift operator has reversed into a scaffold a portacabin or even a man.
Good wee thread Alli;)

Very similar to u alister with the lorry & van service intervals. Not fully trackered yet but will be renewing most of the fleet next year so will tracker up. All lorrys have reversing cameras & sensors & the vans have air bags.
The drivers reponsible for normal daily vechile log & checking, with me doing a weekly one.
Random alcohol tests are maintained as standard as well as the normal no smoking & seatbelts rules. & recently a 90min max driving time before rest or driver change.
So tbh not a lot more we can do without being too draconian.normal rules for private use are u bend it u mend it & if caught D&D instant dismissle.

Pretty comprehensive SP, a couple of tips that I don't do like record daily checks and certainly don't do weekly.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

on shell and bp etc they now have driving as one of the key points in safety alongside w@h confined space etc.You shoulds know your site speeds seatbelt and also plan journeys IE from site to head office
how many have worked on sites where a forklift operator has reversed into a scaffold a portacabin or even a man.
Good wee thread Alli;)

Just something that's been in my head for a while now and I have learned something already from SP, never heard of anyone doing the 90 minute max a day thing, new one on me.

Was on a good thing a few years ago looking after grid sites in the northeast, when back in the northwest we worked local to the yard and one morning I turned up and was told by this dikhead of a director that five of us were going in this van with three seats, the job was thirty mins up the motorway so I went to the office to genuinely say we needed another van , this prik flew off the handle saying get the laborers to sit in the back, basically after handbags and and not punching this middle aged nonces head in I walked, I spoke later to the other director whos a good egg and told him I was not putting blokes at risk on the road, how many times do four lads jump in a flatbed, your right aom getting to and from work is were the real danger lies !

We have all done it at one time or another Joe, especially in the early days. You did the right thing.

Was on a good thing a few years ago looking after grid sites in the northeast, when back in the northwest we worked local to the yard and one morning I turned up and was told by this dikhead of a director that five of us were going in this van with three seats, the job was thirty mins up the motorway so I went to the office to genuinely say we needed another van , this prik flew off the handle saying get the laborers to sit in the back, basically after handbags and and not punching this middle aged nonces head in I walked, I spoke later to the other director whos a good egg and told him I was not putting blokes at risk on the road, how many times do four lads jump in a flatbed, your right aom getting to and from work is were the real danger lies !

a lad i worked wid his sea was on the fittings said he hated it when it rained ill see if his still got the video he took yan day mentl if you ask me

Pretty comprehensive SP, a couple of tips that I don't do like record daily checks and certainly don't do weekly.

Vosa made me do the daily checks,as part of agreeing to give me back my operaters licence,the drivers do a visual check,record it on their check sheet,carry it with them each day in case a fault develops whilst out they can then record it on their sheet,hand it in to me each day to be signed off,and yes I did need to be trained to do the signing off,i devised these sheets myself,if you would like to see one,just let me know alistair;)

Being ex military the daily check log Pol(petrol oil lubricants) was something that came with me from there & is an excellent visual record. The 90min rule was something i learnt about on my smsts course whilst learning about the welfare act of our employees- not required daily however is inserted now into thecompany handbook may seem a bit of molly coddling but just say for instance due to heavy traffic a long journey turns into excess of 2hrs then when The guys get to site & start work the drivers so knackered he makes a mistake that costs injury to himself or others than u can be responsible for it...bullshiit i know but unfortunitly yoy gotta pick up the risk & eliminate it

Thanks BF, but I have a very basic sheet we used to use back in the day I could bring out of retirement. The Mrs also bought a defect pad from the FTA in a bundle with some other stuff for reporting defects so I could blow the dust of that lot.

Kinda wished I never asked now.:amuse:

I may have to review our driving times, I don't think we do many journeys of 2 hours or more but I suppose they are in there somewhere. I would say most journeys we make of that nature involve a ferry but if I remember correctly you can't count a ferry journey as a break unless the driver has somewhere to sleep. It may have changed now but the Tiree boat used to have an HGV lounge for drivers to sleep.

There is a project here that Happy H knows very well. All vehicles are fitted with IVMS which monitors speed, braking etc. To be allowed to drive on the project everyone has to take a defensive driving course and then drive a car round the block while a Pakistani decides if you are a competent driver.Thankfully I passed only HH can tell us if he did?

As for defensive driving out on public roads like most of the ME you need to have passed an aggressive driving course just to be on the same level as the Arabs.

Don't tell me Happy failed his.:laugh::laugh:

You are a glutton for punishment aom

As if you have not enough legislation and guidelines within the scaffolding sector you are now having a bash at the transport sector :D

Joking apart I admire your concerns in recognising the hazards in our daily travel patterns. The demise of the crew bus driver is very bad news, many of this type of driver are up early morning picking up,most do a full shift,and then are the last home after dropping the lads off.

A few years ago a couple of friends were killed when the car they were traveling in mounted the embankment on the motorway and rolled over.They were returning home after working a 30 hour shift dropping a boiler :(

Try Rospa for lots of info on vehicle/driver checks

Bad news for sure, you are exactly right about this guy. I had heard a few complaining about him as he was up and away early every day around the back of six to pick up the boys and drop them at their jobs so he could be at his own site in plenty of time for starting. If you were sending men out on the road, he was the guy you would want behind the wheel.

The transport sector is probably one that most scaffolders know very little about although SP and now BF seem to be switched onto it. I feel our vehicles are up there with anyones, although if I left the boys to get on with it I'm sure you would eventually find a cure for cancer growing on the floor somewhere. I have a very experienced contact that helps me in that regard but I probably could tighten up a bit with recording daily checks but I didn't want to totally focus on just the vehicles, I wanted to see what else could be done if anything. I'm guessing a 30 hour shift would have been a good place to start with your pals.

It's like everything though, we would all do the same if it meant getting to your own nest with a few pound in your pocket.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

A timely reminder from the nice people at VOSA.:sick:

Moving On - advice on load security, tips on winter prep, deadline reminder for transport manager acquired rights and more

A big must for me is sest belts ali, anybody gets my van or car puts their belt on, cos i dont want to be the one that has to tell their loved ones he died cos he didnt put his belt on...clunk click lads.
Also weekley checks on all vehicles so their road worthy.

I'd like to echo that Scaffy, i always belt up!
Make sure the bloke behind you does too as I've had one who didn't and put me through the windscreen!

Remember the good old days of everyone wanting to jump in the back of the van so they could stretch out & sleep ...long gone too easy to get nicked.
I remember many years ago we went to a job in lowndes sq central london 4up in a lorry so one of the lads decided it was too tight & wanted a kip so got on the back of the lorry rapped himself up in debris netting & snored for england - about an hour later we rocked up at the job,wherebhe jumped off the back right into the path of a armed copper guarding the pakistani embassy...i just looked @ the copper & said "fvcking eastern europeans, he must of jumped on @ the last set of lights" - he just smirked & said fvckoff if u think im avin that lol. We got a tongue in cheek telling off, but its not hard to keep a straight face when the blokes holding a MP5.lol

Top Bottom