Where do i stand

oldscaff

Reaction score
Got laid of last Monday, reason being caught by safety officer with no handrail on first lift although lift was fully boarded height of lift 1.5m. Asked by safety officer why i was not useing steps told him if i fell i would hit the ground anyway. He also took photos of me and my mate but because i challenged him on the step rule at that height he told my Supervisor and i was finished.

sorry to hear that oldscaff my take would be when affecting work at that height you quite rightly say your harness offers no protection to yourself so why clip on?i would think to prevent a fall your company should have supplied the shorter lanyard for works at this height,in not doing this well it leaves the firm open to litigation id say as they havent supplied the correct fall arrest ppe.........long where you with the firm and if i may ask what firm mate,charming of them may i add.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

to also add to that oldscaff these guidance notices which cover the WAH were or what i thought were to make our everyday tasks safer..........but ashamedly supervisors\managers have now turned them into a rod with which to beat the ordinary scaffolder with,when a manager finds men operating unsafely they should educate educate educate not sack sack sack..........one day these so called managers will realise that education is the best tool available to them NOT THE THREAT OF THE SACK.

How long with the company ?
Did you get suspend first ?
Did they carryout an investigation ?
Where you and your mate interviewed about it?
Where you removed from site strait away or did you finish the job first?
Has your company trained you to SG4:5 or :10 ?

Hi celticboy, been with the firm for 6 months dont want to name them yet as maybe going to take this a bit further.I was wearing my harness as i always do,i think it has a 2 metre lanyard on it hence my question to the safety officer.

wrong lengh of lanyard to affect work at the height you were operating at full stop.as andy says did they go through all the correct procedures???shoddy judgement to me oldscaff id be contacting my lawyer.

Don't go down the road of my lanyard is 2m and I was working at bla bla
Has your company give you any training after jan 2011 when things changed

Hi Andy, removed from job straight away just me, my mate is still there yes we have trained for SG4-5 & 10.

Did you get suspend on pay?
Did you have an interview ? Did they offer the chance for you to take the union in with you?
Does your company provid the scaff step ?
Take it you and your mate were working together were you both on the lift ? You said your mate remained at work?

No they didnt go through any procedures,i was told to leave the job there and then,although my mate is still there he was also caught .

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Did you get suspend on pay?
Did you have an interview ? Did they offer the chance for you to take the union in with you?
Does your company provid the scaff step ?
Take it you and your mate were working together were you both on the lift ? You said your mate remained at work?

Yes we do use the scaff step,and yes we were both on the lift.

Sorry to hear of your predicament Oldscaff...

First things first...

Were you laid off? as in laid off through lack of work, or were you dismissed?

If they used the excuse of laying you off then I dont think there is a lot you can do I'm afraid, however if you were dismissed then thats a different ball game.

Got laid of last Monday, reason being caught by safety officer with no handrail on first lift although lift was fully boarded height of lift 1.5m. Asked by safety officer why i was not useing steps told him if i fell i would hit the ground anyway. He also took photos of me and my mate but because i challenged him on the step rule at that height he told my Supervisor and i was finished.

sorry to hear that olde scaff i got the same last year i didnt get laid off but it was put to a level 3 which should be an instant lay off but it was smoothed over unfortunatly as this stayed on my record for 6 month, when work went quiet it went against me as this firm uses the matrix system,so with the ecitb ticket i had it was curtains for me, what made it worse we were strikeing a independent on a flat roof and someone removed the ladder so tea time i climed down the brase and wernt clipped on for seconds but got caught weve all done it. one of the lads who was with me got done the following years so i think it was to set an exsample,the safety officer as since been removed from the company for not following guide lines on a simular case but wish you all best oldescaff some are d!ck heads some are decent lads.

Sorry to hear of your predicament Oldscaff...

First things first...

Were you laid off? as in laid off through lack of work, or were you dismissed?

If they used the excuse of laying you off then I dont think there is a lot you can do I'm afraid, however if you were dismissed then thats a different ball game.

I was told i was getting laid off not dismissed, when i asked why he told me it was my attitude towards the safety officer which i can say hear and now at no time did i fall out with him or even swear at him infact we had quite a good debate over the scaff steps. I even have 2 witnesses who were there at the time. cheers anyway.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

sorry to hear that olde scaff i got the same last year i didnt get laid off but it was put to a level 3 which should be an instant lay off but it was smoothed over unfortunatly as this stayed on my record for 6 month, when work went quiet it went against me as this firm uses the matrix system,so with the ecitb ticket i had it was curtains for me, what made it worse we were strikeing a independent on a flat roof and someone removed the ladder so tea time i climed down the brase and wernt clipped on for seconds but got caught weve all done it. one of the lads who was with me got done the following years so i think it was to set an exsample,the safety officer as since been removed from the company for not following guide lines on a simular case but wish you all best oldescaff some are d!ck heads some are decent lads.

Hi dico, looks like ime doomed one could say i should have known better but you live and learn.

iam not too clued up on this oldscaff but if you were employed not self employed you should be given a weeks notice which should roll over from week to week dare say someone will put you in the right direction mate. your either layed off or being sacked they wana make there mind up as for rudeness there should be a enquire first not just lay you off what happened to the 3 strikes,

iam not too clued up on this oldscaff but if you were employed not self employed you should be given a weeks notice which should roll over from week to week dare say someone will put you in the right direction mate. your either layed off or being sacked they wana make there mind up as for rudeness there should be a enquire first not just lay you off what happened to the 3 strikes,

Ime on the cards mate been with them for 6 months.

Sorry mate had the little one to the docs
Rite if you where layed off you need your week lying on and try and push for 1 weeks notice but they don't have to pay that as you don't have 1 years service in.
If you were sacked you need to challenge this in a form of a letter asking them why you where dismissed and explain you wish to raise a grievance for wrongful dismissal.
When you send the letter make sure every letter is recorded delivery and you need a photo copy and start a file up.

You see this is where H&S is all wrong, just to walk on a site catch you working on an unprotected lift, take pics and chuck you off, which led to your dismissal. So now the problem moves on to another company, sorry to call you a problem because your not, all you need as celtic boy stated is education education. How about new guidance on how the H&S people themselves operate, Anyone can critisize, inform them what their doing is wrong, advise them the correct way. Train H&S personel to conduct on site training, or serve notices to the employees company that the individual needs retraining. To just take chuck someone off site and get them sacked, thats really helped the industry and the individual hasnt it. For the record next time stick a kicker lift around the base, fit your step to that so you can reach the guardrail.

they must gve a period of notice if they lay you off,in your case they didnt methinks you should consult an employment layer asap,best of luck mate.

Cheers celticboy, was going to do it tomorrow morning anyway ill let you know how i got on.

Top Bottom