Whats the world coming to??

J

Jason-Gibbs

What is going on?!?

It appears that several Supervisors have come under serious fire recently for expecting the Scaffolders working under them to actually attempt some productivity...

This is not only embarrassing, but totally out of order!!

How dare a bloke who is employed to "put men to work" actually think that Scaffolders are legally obligated to use their Spanners... :confused:

Majority of Scaffolders nowadays dont work... they turn up, stand around talking and grass/arselick as much possible dont they?!?.
Most ive met do anyway.

Pfft... expecting a Scaffolder to use his tools. HA! dont be silly. :D

Exactly!! :eek:

Filming your jobs is soooooooo 2012. :D
2013 is all about 'Lego Scuptures' of your jobs. ;)

Its a difficult one Jason.
In Australia my supervisors and indeed myself were not allowed to give a completion target to the scaffolders on the grounds that we would be putting them under pressure and they may have an accident.
My solution would be to go to a gang and ask them when they would be finished the particular job they were doing. Once I received their reply for example "the rest of the shift boss" I would reply " A couple of Brit scaffs would do it by lunch" and walk away hearing cries of "Come on boys let's knock this job out and show that pommy c#nt".
It took most of them 8 months before they sussed me.

I tried that at St. Fergus... but all i heard was: "English!! pfft, we stopped bothering competing agsinst them 948 years ago!" :D :nuts:

I tried that at St. Fergus... but all i heard was: "English!! pfft, we stopped bothering competing agsinst them 948 years ago!" :D :nuts:

Wrong psychology Jason. You know how competitive the Aussies are with the English well that's what I played on.
With the Scots you should have said "You're doing a lot better than the English would." The Scots would have touched their forelocks, delighted with the praise from one of their English masters and being happy and content would have produced more.;)

Slightly left field I know, but you could always just talk to the boys, explain what you need and why. ;)

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Better still, try leading by example. Very difficult to hide when the gaffer is out doing it.

Me cusin nearl got dumped for it, he got 4 lads in till 12 1 weekend he said it was about 2 hours work for 1 lad but got the 4 of them cozx they werte winging about ot any how after checking on them he notised a shuitter still on round a vertical gurder he said it was no more than 2ft by 2ft he kicked it off picked the 4 bits of ply up and on monday was called in to the office for it he said for **** sakes i kicked 4 bits of wood on me way back to the office, he now says his never given them another weekend and makes a point of standing over them while there digging holes and laying concreet i mean come on are ya not gratefull of a hand of the gaffer

A GOOD GAFFER ALWAYS GETS THE BEST FROM HIS MEN
respect is a double edged sword and cuts both ways,i have worked through breaks etc to get the job done for Supervisors that i respect.
YES there are waankers that will use any excuse going not to do the job especially on the Powerchem jobs ITS CALLED playing the system and can be used to feck a Gaffer over
As HSWT rightly said MAN MANAGEMENT is the key;)

A GOOD GAFFER ALWAYS GETS THE BEST FROM HIS MEN
respect is a double edged sword and cuts both ways,i have worked through breaks etc to get the job done for Supervisors that i respect.
YES there are waankers that will use any excuse going not to do the job especially on the Powerchem jobs ITS CALLED playing the system and can be used to feck a Gaffer over
As HSWT rightly said MAN MANAGEMENT is the key;)

Spot on that

more to the fact how can some one feel okay about doing that. i genuinely enjoy my work and love a days graft. ok not at alf four when i gotta get up no but when im there im like a squirrell on anthet. y

hey theres my two pence who gives a ****

The gaffers role

When given the gaffers role what would you do ?
treat the men with the same respect you would expect when YOU were one of the bears
OR TURN QUICKER THAN A PINT OF MILK IN A HEAT WAVE and forget you were once one of the BEARS and SHIIT ALL OVER THEM:eek:
YOUR thoughts Gents

When given the gaffers role what would you do ?
treat the men with the same respect you would expect when YOU were one of the bears
OR TURN QUICKER THAN A PINT OF MILK IN A HEAT WAVE and forget you were once one of the BEARS and SHIIT ALL OVER THEM:eek:
YOUR thoughts Gents

Treat all with respect regardless of race or religion. I generally find that if you support the lads then you get some return from them. Of course there are bad apples on both sides of the divide and always will be. I probably haven't mentioned on the forum that I worked in Australia before but as the project reached completion and redundancies were due the lads made a board and everyone's name was written on it as they were let go. When I was made redundant the lads put me on the board as well. Someone told me that it was extremely rare for that to happen due to the big gulf between management and worker down under. It is my proudest moment in scaffolding and I have a photo of the "tap out" board.

Attachments

• Tap out board.jpg
    Tap out board.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Top Bottom