What's the best way to get into scaffolding?

JoeNTMY

Reaction score
I'm looking at pursuing scaffolding as a career.

I'm 26 years old and I've been working in the construction industry for 9 years, so I have a bit of experience and knowledge of the industry. I enjoy physical work and (ideally) have to work outside due to having chronic sinus disease.

What's the best way into scaffolding? I know I need at least a green card and I'm willing to start off as a labourer. What do I need to do for the green card? Any other advice?

Thanks

Joe, there are loads of ways to get into the job, my prefered route would always just get a job as a labourer. Your 26 which for me is about a perfect age as you will no doubt pick up the basics fairly quickly which makes it easier for a gaffer to get you your cards. Our card system is quite extensive and I believe there is another about to come out to cover inductions so depending on who you get a start with you may get carded fairly quickly. I do hear a lot of guys moaning about the boss being slow to send them for cards so you will just have to throw your hook in the water to see what you catch, good luck.

Thanks again!

What exactly do I have to do for my green card?

I'm from Reading, Bobby.

Thanks again!

What exactly do I have to do for my green card?

I'm from Reading, Bobby.

It's just a touch screen health and safety test similar to a car theory test. Nothing too specific to scaffolding so you should pass easy enough. Have a look at the cisrs website.

Its the best job in world mate I enjoy it. If ur willing to learn u will buzz throuh it mate all the best

If memory serves anglewest do quite a lot of work round your way as the based in maidenhead I think might be worth giving them a bell mate

I'll look them up and give them a call.

Thanks!

It's just a touch screen health and safety test similar to a car theory test. Nothing too specific to scaffolding so you should pass easy enough. Have a look at the cisrs website.

If it's anything like the CSCS card test, then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks again!

Its the best job in world mate I enjoy it. If ur willing to learn u will buzz throuh it mate all the best

That's what I wanna hear!

Thanks

Lyndons scaffolding was advertising for trainee scaffolders in the Metro newspaper last week,think the work was for around London.

Lyndons scaffolding was advertising for trainee scaffolders in the Metro newspaper last week,think the work was for around London.

I saw this in the paper at work today! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

Good firm to start off with Joe. Normally some goodscaffs at Lyndons. Get yourself with a good gang and you will pick it up quick. Justdont be afraidto tell them your not a skivy or slave, taht youwant to get somewhere andlearn the job. Hopefully they will let you haveaplaynow and again.

Good luck mate.

The advice on here is what you need, get yourself with a firm as a labourer but show willingness to learn, pester your boss every opportunity you can to explain things as sooner or later he will get tired of you (in a good way) and will send you for cards, once you have your cards, get stuck in, work well with your firm and dont shy out of hard graft...after a while you will get a good rep in the area and more doors will open for you!

Hi lads I'm also looking at making a carreer out of scaffolding I'm 23 have my cscs card,looking for a labouring job to start with then going to do my cards looking for work in the somerset area if any1 could help thanks alot

Get on a firm as a Labourer, Learn the labouring properly for about 2 years before you even think about going on the tools. if you cant master the labouring properly how can you expect to be any kind of good scaff if you dont know what gear to use or ask for. to many jump on the tools to early thats why we have to many **** scaffolders with tickets who cant base out a simple job properly.

Nothing worse than a fixer who knows **** all and cant labour properly. Old school all the way. to many whingers in this game these days

Yeah your right there pal, i know too many of them. when you can get me a lift of gear ready without me asking for it then you can have a go at fixing.

Top Bottom