What's basic scaffold?

Tom I appreciate your input . I will grab some Stop Access signs on my way to work tomorrow. At list i got my question answered! Now i know that our 'inspector' don't lie about his incompetence. I took him as a lazy t*at.. I will get on top of this first thig tomorrow.
Cheers!

Can anybody define basic and advanced scaffold please?

I would consider the below as advanced scaffold structures

Scaffold structures that need to be designed

• Scaffolds that fall outside the scope of ‘Basic Scaffolds’ detailed in NASC guidance note TG20
  • Dead Shores
  • Flying shores
  • Raking shores
  • Cantilevered scaffolds
  • Truss-out Scaffolds
  • Access Birdcages
  • Façade retention
  • Access scaffolds with more than the 2 working lifts allowed with TG20 ‘Basic Scaffolds’
  • Buttressed free-standing scaffolds
  • Temporary roofs and temporary buildings
  • Support scaffolds
  • Loading Bays founded on the ground
  • Mobile and static towers outside base/height limitations
  • Free standing scaffolds outside base/height Limitations
  • Temporary ramps and elevated roadways
  • Staircases and fire escapes
  • Spectator Terraces and Seating Stands
  • Bridge scaffolds
  • Towers requiring guys or ground anchors
  • Offshore scaffolds outside Offshore Contractors Association (OCA) handbook
  • Pedestrian footbridges or walkways
  • Slung and Suspended scaffolds
  • Protection fans, Nets and Pavement Frames
  • Marine scaffolds
  • Boiler scaffolds
  • Power line crossings
  • Lifting gantries and towers
  • Steeple scaffolds
  • System scaffolds outside users guide parameters
  • Sign board supports
  • Sealing end structures
  • Temporary Storage on Site
  • Masts, Lighting Towers and Transmission Towers
  • Advertising hoardings/banners
  • Any scaffold structure subject to:
    • Vibration
    • High Loading
    • Long term duration
    • High risk areas
    • Loading from passenger/goods hoists
Note: The above list is not exhaustive
Design and inspection issues

• All tube and fitting scaffolds should be designed, and have strength and stability calculations provided by a competent person, unless it is a ‘Basic Scaffold’ designed in accordance with NASC Technical Guidance TG20.
  • System scaffolding should be designed, erected and stabilised in accordance with the manufacturers or suppliers Handbook.
  • Any proposed modifications, or alterations, outside a system scaffolding manufacturer’s guidelines should be designed by a competent person.
  • Handover certificates should refer to any relevant drawings, working platform loadings and any specific restrictions on use.
  • All scaffolding inspection should be carried out by a person whose training and competence reflects the complexity of the scaffold they are inspecting (ie a CISRS Scaffolder can inspect basic scaffolds and an Advanced Scaffolder can inspect basic and complex scaffolds).
  • A non-scaffolder who has attended a suitable scaffold inspection course and has the necessary background experience would also be competent to inspect a basic scaffold (ie a site manager).
  • The scaffold inspection register should note any defects and corrective actions taken, even when those actions are taken promptly as this assists with the identification of any recurring problems.
  • To prevent use by unauthorised persons, all incomplete scaffolds must display warning signs identifying the areas where access is restricted and be suitably protected by physical means.

Thank you Double-Standards, that's more than perfect answer.

My office decided to get another scaffolder on board and want them to inspect against each other :confused:

If your guy holds a CISRS basic inspection card then he is not (in the eyes of the law) competent to inspect a temporary roof. The basic and advanced thing is something like if the scaffold is within the scope of TG20 would be classed as basic if it is outside and requires a drawing then it would be advanced. This is the way I understand it anyway but may have changed with the new update of TG20.

Where s this law then TomP??:eek:h:

Where s this law then TomP??:eek:h:

I have presumed and I maybe wrong that as his inspector is in house there is a good chance that he is not a scaffolder, competent in the eyes of the law is a mixture of qualified, experience and knowledge of the scaffold I think! If you are missing one or more how can you say you are competent.

It's the competent bit they will go for!

Sounds like he's an inhouse 2 day inspector with no hands on experience,has a paper qualification,which makes it all a bit of a joke. hse is guided by the nasc,an independant business not a government appointed law maker. Scaffolding is still thought of as a semi skilled trade,anyone can hire it buy it. some structures need design but a temp roof over a house!!??.

Top Bottom