What's basic scaffold?

Welcome mate a basic scaffold is something straight forward and advanced is more thinking....... Obvious I know but...... If it's cards ur on about ie scaffolders trust me this thread can go on till Xmas answering that one lol

I work as a site manager. We have in house scaffold inspector. I've got temporary roof joint with platforms on facade. Now, he claims that he is not competent to inspect my scaffold as it's not a basic structure. He is asking me to find somebody who holds a advance scaffold card. I searched entire web and didn't find a real definition of how to recognise basic and advanced scaffold so I decided to turn to the most reliable ppl in this subject and I found this forum.
Just want to understand what are the specs of a basic scaffold. Don't know if I'm being wind up by the bloke.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

I work as a site manager. We have in house scaffold inspector. I've got temporary roof joint with platforms on facade. Now, he claims that he is not competent to inspect my scaffold as it's not a basic structure. He is asking me to find somebody who holds a advance scaffold card. I searched entire web and didn't find a real definition of how to recognise basic and advanced scaffold so I decided to turn to the most reliable ppl in this subject and I found this forum.
Just want to understand what are the specs of a basic scaffold. Don't know if I'm being wind up by the bloke.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

A scaffold Inspector holding a certified Inspectors Card should be competent and able to inspect all types of Scaffolds if not able to do so hes claiming wages under false pretences.

Contact a Scaffold Inspection Service Company and spend a bit of cash

Last edited:
A scaffold Inspector holding a certified Inspectors Card should be competent and able to inspect all types of Scaffolds if not able to do so hes claiming wages under false pretences.

That's correct, but he is in hold of a Basic Scaffold Inspector card. He claims he can only inspect basic scaffolds and I want to understand what specific range does it cover. For example - is temporary roof an advanced structure? Etc.. He refuses to inspect temp roof saying that's advanced inspector's job..

Where abouts are you?

Itz true he may not have either the experiance or qualification to inspect it & under the law may not wanna end up in court if theres a structual failure. having said that you can get allways get the scaff who erected it to inspect it if he had the qual to erect it.but tbh if its an advanced structure its more than likely a dwging job so thats a good place to start -check the drwing

check out youtube for the mini vidios showing what can be inspected & by whom

Currently swan a yes u need a scaffold inspection card but an advanced scaffolder is compentant to inspect it however in the up coming months you will HAVE to be a scaffolder even with the above qualification you will have to be from a scaffolding background ( my mates started up his own company in inspections and knows the up coming legislation)

As for not inspecting certain jobs that's either lazy or lack of confidence either way it's bollox mate I think I'm right in thinking he's not a scaffolder if so find one mate nothing worse in the building game than office bods pretending to be ' compentant' in doing something especially when it comes to scaffolding

Having said that SP is spot on about the drawings part A) it's a great place to refer to B) most ' advanced' jobs have to be done with a drawing that's how prob the best way to separate basic and advanced scaffolds in truth swan

As for not inspecting certain jobs that's either lazy or lack of confidence either way it's bollox mate I think I'm right in thinking he's not a scaffolder if so find one mate nothing worse in the building game than office bods pretending to be ' compentant' in doing something especially when it comes to scaffolding

Having said that SP is spot on about the drawings part A) it's a great place to refer to B) most ' advanced' jobs have to be done with a drawing that's how prob the best way to separate basic and advanced scaffolds in truth swan

Bobby, that all make sense. Bloke is from our office and done the course little while ago. It's nothing but office is cutting the costs of inspection done by scaffolder. Bearing in mind we've got 4 scaffolds on different sites that's the huge saving.
I spoke to my project manager an he reckons that inspections shouldn't be done by the scaffolder who actually erected it. That's cos no one would shoot himself in the feet admitting that's something wrong with my scaffold.. I found an independent inspector for my temp roof. He is charging 150 quid for each visit. Is this a right price? Du you know the gizzer? Branscaff Ltd, Scaffold Inspection Services Homepage
Is this she service you would recommend? Please let me know your thoughts.

where are you based mate if london/kent ill give u a contact that will be roughley the same price but a top man in scaffolding and actually will help YOU/ YOUR FIRM instead of trying to cream more out of you, and yes ur spot on about scaffolders condeming there own scaffolds mate the above mentions acts as an independant which holds alot more clout swan

Please feel free to call me tomorrow Tomasz. Kind regards, Chris.

Hi Chris, Tomasz is my project manager I've got the link to your website sent to me today by him. We are in dispute within the firm on this issue and trying to find the best solution to sort this out. I wanted to get as much info in this subject as possible (knowing the differences between basic and advanced) that's to challenge our office guy. I will let you know how this all end and if get go-aheads will see you on my site.
Cheers Mirek.

If your guy holds a CISRS basic inspection card then he is not (in the eyes of the law) competent to inspect a temporary roof. The basic and advanced thing is something like if the scaffold is within the scope of TG20 would be classed as basic if it is outside and requires a drawing then it would be advanced. This is the way I understand it anyway but may have changed with the new update of TG20.

Thanks all for your answers!
The scaffolder I'm using on my site erected temp roof without the drawings as we never been provided with.. So that's the confusion brought me to this forum. The scaffolder is pretty difficult to work with. It took him a month to get the safety hatches and I'm still waiting for his handover from him. I just giving up and will let my office to sort it out until than I'm not letting anyone on scaffold full stop. I'm just feed up on cutting the corners especially when it comes to safety.

You need to be very careful if you do not have a drawing as this is in breach of the work at height regs, my advice on this would be not to use the scaffold, bring in an Independant inspection company to carry out an inspection which will say you need a design etc. And then go back to the scaffolder with the report. As a principal contractor you will ultimately be responsible for the structure on your site handed over or not especially if you have used it.

By bringing in an inspection company and not using the scaffold (stop access And put do not use signs all over it) you will be managing the situation if mr h & s comes knocking.

Top Bottom