what would you do?

@ scotontour. regarding "sacked for showing trainee how to scaffold". This has been taken into consideration also, but if that were true, wouldn't he have been made to put all his ppe on (harness) before picking up a spanner?[/QUOTE

but in this case what can you prove ??? we all know what happened we all know what he is but proving it is differant.

if you have proof he knew that the trainee should not have been up a scaffold as per company policy then bullet him. but i suspect you havent.

but you can demonstrate he was in charge on the site.
you can demonstrate he knows that harnesses should be worn at all times.
do him for that and that alone. gross missconduct. severe breach of health and safety and failing in his duty of care to a youngster in his control.

If he was a Smoggie Scaffolder he'd have gone on strike by now, because someone in Timbuktu was knocked there 81p a month bonus, lol.

Or, he would look like this:

3172344662_923b77d170.jpg

LOL! :D

Thanks all. a lot to take away from this....
Firstly we need to set up a more rigid training program with as little room for error as possible. Secondly the dodgy scaff has to go, but we have to do it by the book.
we will be taking advice from citation our legal advisors on Monday.
I am grateful for the feed back from the hands on scaffold world and have found it helpful and interesting as to your points and opinions i will be back :blink1:

jason

i protest i am not a smoggie and i did not give you permission to post my photo.
my image rights are being breached

i feel a court case coming on

autumn
take legal advise but i guarantee now they will say do nothing.
take the action and make a stand.

but your right your procedures need tightening up.
and i know someone who can write them for a fee lol

What annoys me, is that there are MANY in this game that fight for just causes and making sure that we are treated like Humans and Tradesmen and not animals.

This Forum is full of voices, including myself that rant and rave about real issues that affect us and what is right and wrong... but we still get the odd few piss takers who dont do anything to help any of us 'normal' Scaffolders out.

This guy not only needs sacking, but needs a good kick up the arse also. :)

My impression on reading this thread is Supervision.

Its ok having a chargehand but sometimes you gotta get off your backside and call by site and check on things personally, even if you have a Supervisor you need to get off your backside and supervise the superviser Reguarly both from a distance and up close.

Make it your business to plan your journey,s so that you drive past projects you are involved in. Make it your business to just drop in unannounced speak to your supervisor, your chargehand, your scaffolders, the site agent and anyone else on site who can give you useful feedback on all your activities on site.

You say you have phone calls and emails complaints, the first complaint I get , I immediately go see my client get a full report off them , I then go see my chargehand get a full report off him, I also have a casual walk around site having a bit of general crack with my scaffolders and other trades using our scaffold To make sure it has been getting erected as requested when requested etc etc.

Then Its time to decide who is telling the truth, if like in your case its The chargehand I pull him into office or somewhere and tell him exactly what is expected of him and he either shapes up or ships out, Any bullsh@t off him and he walks off site or is stretchered off site The choice is his, Im as game as they come :eek:

Hear Hear Jason !!
My husband was a scaffolder for nearly 20 years before we set up on our own.
We are trying to give a little bit back by taking on apprentices we have Two at the moment, and they are both good hard working lads, but it's just the odd one or two who seem to think they are doing us a favour by turning up to work....Our scaffold firm wouldn't be the success it is without the hard work and loyalty our scaffolders and that will never be forgotten. Sometimes however there is a fool who tries to mess it up for the rest.:unsure:

Autumn Dawn Welcome to the Forum

If the facts you state in your first post are correct and your Employee has not adhered to his Contract of Employment or failed in his duty of care to his workmates,

you must impliment your disciplinary procedure to protect your business and other Employee's from his behaviour

Personally I would (if the relevent facts you state are correct) in regards to the apprentice, dismissed him at once (ADV Scaffolder) for "Gross Misconduct" as he showed a total disregard for the health and safety of the apprentice and was negligent in perfoming his duties.

As for the apprentice he also needs censure for actually going onto the scaffold. A job remit pointing out the do's and dont's of his duties and advice of what action he must take if instructed to perform any actions he deems dangerous or above his training level or competence.

He should know better not to send a labourer on a scaffold with a spanner, If it was 1 of my guys i would of sacked him there an then .

Tell him you are dropping his rate because his performance and attitude to work stinks, also being rude to your clients who pay his wages is not on
He will soon leave, saving you the bother of sacking him

Dropping one mans rate and not others will be classed as victimisation and will only give this **** a stronger case,it could be seen as the first step of constructive dismissal.Id go with the gross misconduct.And as for your trainee cut him some slack if hes that green hes just goin to do as told to fit in,but do remind him that tryin to fit in in this game could get him killed.

Top Bottom