what would you do?

autumn.dawn

Reaction score
Hi all. I Would be grateful of some feed back to a situation we are facing at the moment and some different opinions to how you would proceed.
We have an advanced scaffolder in our employment who is just not happy to tow the line. He likes to work on one specific site and causes hassle if he is placed anywhere different sulking turning up late and just being down right rude.
We have had numerous complaints from clients via telephone and e~mails saying he sits in the truck and lets the younger lads do all the work and is rude to clients. Today now we have found out he has been sending one of our young apprentices up the scaffold to turn a spanner, the lad has only been with us eight weeks and hasn't a clue what he is doing. To add insult to injury the lad had no harness. Tha advanced charge hands excuse is that he didn't know it was company policy not to let unqualified staff on a scaffold without the correct ppe.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

start a procedure against him and let nature take its course.
he works for you and if he aint happy fook him. Its about time some guys realised that they are employees and there are plenty of others who would take theyre place. but watch what you are doing or it will be construed as victimisation.
Do it properly and he will be gone in a month unless he does something serious which you can deal with as gross missconduct.
It is unlikely you could prove that he knew it was against company policy for a youngun to go up a scaffold.
Everytime something is reported do an investigation and take the appropriate action.
If he is as you say then goodriddance to bad rubbish. if he is not then you wont get enough on him anyway.

make sure everything is done fairly and always advise him of the right to appeal etc. most unfair dismissal claims are due to procedure rather than actually being unfair.

and boot the supervisor squarely in the balls who's allowing this to happen.

Last edited:
Tell him how it is , how the fu ck you gonna explain to the young lads parents if he had of fallen of ?

" sorry , but sulky bo llocks here didnt fancy working today so your son is dead "

need to have a serious word with the gent in question methinks on monday(morning)cant have have that attitude in buisness,hope you get it sorted al the best.

Show him this new job round the corner, then punch the feckers lights oot, till he sees sense. Then sack the arrogant *******.:idea:

all this having to have a reason to sack someone and giive warnings etc is good most of the time but sometimes it just takes the pi55 . if someones sh!t you should be to sack them simple as that .people that know how to work the system are getting away with doing absolutely nothing because there employers are scared to sack them. a lad i work with went home this week because his pants ripped and the supervisor wouldnt drop him a new pair off . the same excuse for a scaff hasnt done a full week in the 5 month hes been on for us

100% agree alan but i get the impression he has been there a while and sure as sh!t smells he will claim and win if it isnt done carefully.

i wonder what would have been said if the initial post read

help me ive been sacked for showin a trainee how to scaffold.!!!!

6 weeks and no harness get shot tomorrow morning **** head
Ps you should supply the harness so you should be fuccck off also for poor safety

@ Andy We have supplied the lad with full PPE that includes his harness. we are also putting him through his college courses once he is time served.
He was sent up the scaffold with no fall arrest training and no scaffolding cards, he only holds a health and safety card. The apprentice was also told under no circumstance should he go on the scaffold but was advised otherwise by the charge hand on site. The apprentice is in for a rollocking too.

autumn
do you have a training programme worked out for the kid ??
where does this chargehand fit in with this training ??

i commend you for giving a young lad a chance no doubt he was put under peer pressure to get up the scaffold and i wouldnt say too much to him. But you need to put more thought into his well being and training remember the legal responsibility starts and stops with you. if you can't look after him better than putting him with a work shy chancer then maybe you have to let him go.

Bad show all round---sack the lead hand---quick style...and give yourself a talking too...

Duty of care has been breached, Lead Hands remit is Supervision, Information and Training, he has defaulted on all three.

Duty of Care has been breached, Employer remit to supply all of the above.

This dude is a liability end of story...

@ scotontour. regarding "sacked for showing trainee how to scaffold". This has been taken into consideration also, but if that were true, wouldn't he have been made to put all his ppe on (harness) before picking up a spanner?

real proper scaffolders know the crack..........dont let him tek the piss,.....fu*k im off.he 's not a advanced scaff he's a fu*kin parasite....Back to Basics .if they **** .get shut

If he is truly taking the piss like you say, then sack the prick... hes just giving the rest of us a bad name.

Out of curiosity? Is he a Scouser? :p

Top Bottom