What is part 1, part 2 and advanced scaffolder ?

Dutch_Can

Reaction score
Ok I got a question

Since I'm not from the UK what is part 1, part 2 and advanced scaffolder ?

Here it's apprentice 1, 2 and 3 then they go to journeyman scaffolder they can be a journeyman in 3 years which in my opinion is too short.
I started scaffolding back in the early 90's and it took me five years to get there they really wanted to know if your capable of doing the job and in Holland it is Leerling steigerbouwer, 2e Steigerbouwmonteur and 1e Steigerbouwmonteur. I have no idea how it is nowa days cause I have been gone since 2003.

Thanks for any replies.

Ok I got a question

Here it's apprentice 1, 2 and 3 then they go to journeyman scaffolder they can be a journeyman in 3 years which in my opinion is too short.
I started scaffolding back in the early 90's and it took me five years to get there they really wanted to know if your capable of doing the job and in Holland it is Leerling steigerbouwer, 2e Steigerbouwmonteur and 1e Steigerbouwmonteur. I have no idea how it is nowa days cause I have been gone since 2003.

Thanks for any replies.

Part 1: Semi qualified, usually a youngester. Still learning and working (or should be) under the Supervision of older more qualified Scaffolder

Part 2: Fully qualified, age? undefined. Trained upto and legally allowed to erect, strike, alter and adapt normal Scaffolds.

Advanced: Same as Part 2, but legally allowed to erect, strike etc etc ALL kinds of Scaffolds.

Legends/Superstars: Cream of the crop. Usually running Scaffolders from Middlesboro ragged all day, with their enhanced speed and sexy machismo! :D

(discount the last part... just trying to get a bit more north/south banter going. :p)

Part 1: Semi qualified, usually a youngester. Still learning and working (or should be) under the Supervision of older more qualified Scaffolder

Part 2: Fully qualified, age? undefined. Trained upto and legally allowed to erect, strike, alter and adapt normal Scaffolds.

Advanced: Same as Part 2, but legally allowed to erect, strike etc etc ALL kinds of Scaffolds.

Legends/Superstars: Cream of the crop. Usually running Scaffolders from Middlesboro ragged all day, with their enhanced speed and sexy machismo! :D

(discount the last part... just trying to get a bit more north/south banter going. :p)

You only have to be competent to do all of the above. Nothing legal about it.

Course there is.
A Part 1 legally is not allowed to build a Hanger... well least to my knowledge anyway.
Need an Instructors view.

Thats what i would have said too.

Even then, why would you send a Part 1 to strike a Hanger in the first place?? Even if they have 20 years under their belts, there must be a valid reason why the experienced Part 1 didnt get his other tickets? no?

If it was not legally binding Fred, why is there tens of £millions poured into Training nowadays?
No one would bother with any Scaffold training at all...

Even then, why would you send a Part 1 to strike a Hanger in the first place?? Even if they have 20 years under their belts, there must be a valid reason why the experienced Part 1 didnt get his other tickets? no?

If it was not legally binding Fred, why is there tens of £millions poured into Training nowadays?

It's something to do with competency Jay. The definition of competency is training, information, experience and training; the only way you can show training really is by cards by attending courses. Nothing to say you can't do it without you would just be hard pushed to prove you've had the training if you have never been.

It would be down to the company to make a RAM regarding the job that is being under taken and make sure the right person who is going to do the job has been trained and is competent ie Advance scaffolder to carry out such a task. SG 4:10, WHR 2005,

Ok I got a question

Thanks for any replies.
Part one- Spotty 18 year old with loads of lip and a bad attitude, good at texting but no so good at labouring or getting to work on time---Favourite phone--Blackberry

Part Two-Developed a bit of a swagger by this stage, bitches alot about pay rises has progressed to FB and Twitter and will turn up for weekend shifts with more regularity than a part one---Favourite phone--I Phone

Advanced-Knows everthing about everthing, usually been divorced by this time with the CSA after him, has a Staff and large 50 inch plasma tv. Will have an extensive knowledge of scaffolding related incedents which will relvolve around bars and clubs.Turns up with suprising regularity for all shifts---Favourite phone--Any, as long as its pay as you go and cheap

So there we have it my clog wearing friend, all you need to know.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££'s

But its the employers duty to provide training and the directors would be hauled over the coals should anyone die and people have been jailed before now for breaching safety and training guidelines:wondering:

Ok I got a question

Thanks for any replies.

The answer can be found at CISRS

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

CISRS

Mark? What do you think??

Personally, i would NOT send an under qualified (experienced or not) Scaffolder to a job that LEGALLY they was not covered to do...

Anything went wrong the Supervision, ie: Me, would be just as responsible and liable to prosecution as the Scaffolder was... if not more liable.

Jason as state before only advance scaffolders to under take this task.

Jason as state before only advance scaffolders to under take this task.

Thanks mate.
There you have it gents... if its good enough for a CISRS Instructor, it should be good enough for all of us. :)

Not sure about legally competent terminology. Theres Wahr as a regulation .As far as I know theres no law saying you have to have a ticket. I agree you should be competent to carry out the job in front of you. No doubt theres scaffs 20 years experiance but doing a part one for different reasons (Eictb) would handle these jobs no prob,
As far as I know scaffolding is regarded semi skilled, expensive training courses,not day release for college tuition. like sparks plumbers brickie(Boo). Maybe there lies the problem, (being semi skilled) Perhaps it should become a full trade as it should be.:wondering::cool:

not sure about legally competent terminology. Theres wahr as a regulation .as far as i know theres no law saying you have to have a ticket. I agree you should be competent to carry out the job in front of you. No doubt theres scaffs 20 years experiance but doing a part one for different reasons (eictb) would handle these jobs no prob,
as far as i know scaffolding is regarded semi skilled, expensive training courses,not day release for college tuition. Like sparks plumbers brickie(boo). Maybe there lies the problem, (being semi skilled) perhaps it should become a full trade as it should be.:wondering::cool:

day release would be miles better for both will still have a decent wage and your employer will benifit from not having a scaff off for 2 weeks

Agreed Marra. that would be proper training,where you have a week to think about what youve just learned. These courses where its being crammed in cant help anyone.

Top Bottom