What do you think?

aom

Reaction score
We have got a small scaffold to build on a flat roof. The main job is fine, around 24m by 8 lifts high. The problem is the return which is only around 10m by 5 lifts built from what turned out to be a composite roof board. Luckily I had already back heeled the responsibility for supporting it to the MC and he has duly installed acro props underneath but the roofing sheets are sitting on angle iron and doesn't look great to be honest. My question I suppose, is there any technique anyone has used to try and reduce the weight on the roof further?

There is no scope for running a spine beam drilled in to support it but wondered if maybe some of these sockets you can now drill in could take some of the load.

Run a tube full length with b&p then raker off to the outside ledger?

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Put a row of beams in,like a saddle

Don't get that one BF, there is a horse built on one elevation as there already is a couple of flat roofs on that side but the other flat roof is all roof, nothing eith side so whatever we build is always going to be on the roof.

You could use a couple of long tie back tubes from the independant on the floor, you could get a decent distance along the first part of the 10m on the roof on a couple of lifts?

Maybe a couple of beams with droppers to pick the weight up if you splice the sleeves on the toppers?

That with the B&P to the wall should be solid.

Just helps to spread the load,you can then run a tube along the top of the beams to carry the rakers to the outside ledger,if you know what i mean.

Yeah, I might get enough doing that nick. We only have a small horse built to carry the return but maybe could pick a good bit back and beam the rest. We have built a good job, would hate to see Teeside posting pictures of it sinking like the Titanic.:eek:

run two ledgers back anchored to the wall at four ft intervals one ledger at ankle height the other four ft above the full lengh of the run test all anchors,run trannies off top ledger using mk3 doubles measure 7boards out then undersling outside ledger with mk3s again then at every back anchor no more than 300mm raker rom bottom ledger to top outside ledger check all up do this all the way along tranny out at every two foot then board out.kick off your cuplock on top of boards works every time,you could punch up the pinned tube but inside ledger is very close pain in the ass,best luck mate.

Thanks for that CB but unfortunately it's all done in tube, we very rarely use cuplok when beams are required. Why the need for MK doubles, our wee outfit is only coming up for 12 years old and only use the presco double I'm afraid. Could still work though.:idea:

never any doubt when using them on this type job or shores,great way of spanning roofs and the like only prob is getting the proper kit to do it mate.

Been a long time since I have seen anything other than the cheaper versions now CB but as you know we may be a little insulated round these parts. I have used the presco long enough to have plenty faith in them and never seen one twist or slip yet.

We are not on the flat roof until tomorrow so will probably bastardise a few ideas to try and reduce the load, thanks.

SGB MARK 3s are the strongest doubles and whenever SGB/HARSCO do a support or anything a wee bit out of the ordinary they always stipulate MARK 3s.
the prescos will do the job though.are all 5 lifts working lifts

No, its a gable end with an external chimney breast that may have to be removed by hand and rebuilt but they reckon only 6 foot or so. I was planning just boarding out the top working lift at gutter height with maybe 2 table top lifts if I have too but may get away with one.

Who me, never.:cool:

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

well, there was that one time................:embarrest:

If the roofs supported, use Ali tube 1/3rd of the weight..

If you can, use apollo bolts or excaliber bolts through band and plate on the inside and spur up off them if you can:wacko:

I have a plan Bluesy, there will be apollo bolts and there will be spurs but the exact lay out is as yet undecided.

Just a polite way of saying, I haven't got a fekin clue but it will be all right on the night.:cool:

Thanks all.

We have got a small scaffold to build on a flat roof. The main job is fine, around 24m by 8 lifts high. The problem is the return which is only around 10m by 5 lifts built from what turned out to be a composite roof board. Luckily I had already back heeled the responsibility for supporting it to the MC and he has duly installed acro props underneath but the roofing sheets are sitting on angle iron and doesn't look great to be honest. My question I suppose, is there any technique anyone has used to try and reduce the weight on the roof further?

There is no scope for running a spine beam drilled in to support it but wondered if maybe some of these sockets you can now drill in could take some of the load.

Just slash it up and hope for the best...

Top Bottom