what do u think about scaffolding

sheff scaff

Reaction score
im a scaffollder of 20 years and wishing i never got in to the game dont know if its the down turn in work but just want out but its all i have done since leaving school just wondering if any of u felt the same but scaffolding is hard to get out of when its in your blood and u cant have as much fun in any other trade

Its as addictive as crack or heroin.
Once your hooked, you can never get away from it.

Also...
I think it all depends on the job and the blokes you work with/firm your on.

Some jobs ive been on have had good Site Agents, who understand Scaffolding and work with you to get the job done, instead of flinging stupid rules about all day and making your job twice as hard as it needs to be.

Some blokes ive worked with have been nothing but slimy, grassing low-lifes. - Again, instead of getting their heads down and getting the job done, they make the job alot harder then it needs to be.

Same with firms.
Some are shiit, some are good.

I think if your lucky to get on a half decent job, with some good lads and a sensible Site Agent and your 'allowed' to earn some decent money, and not have your arse screwed by a greedy boss, then its as good as it could be.
I think thats all any of us could ask for.

Good workmates.
Good and easy going site.
Decent pay, or the ability to earn it, if its available.

I used to think it was hard graft and sometimes a bit of a ball ache, wanting a nice cushy office number with the fitties.
However when I ended up in an office job due to uncontrollable circumstances it was awful. The bitching and backstabbing and you've been away from your desk for 3 mins today crap was unbearable.
Glad to get back to scaffolding ? No question

40 foot in the air shorts and no shirt whistling at the birds "LOVE IT "
Beer on a Friday with the lads " LOVE IT "

Raining on a Sunday morning 40 foot in the air " HATE IT "

i got out of it for almost 2 year about 12 year ago (back was done in) lasted about six month before i was doing a bit of fiddle and the odd job for some pals, believe it or not you will miss it, i did and just succomb to once a scaff always a scaff.
i love it and hate it, but i still hate brickies more:nuts:

I'm 60 now and have been scaffolding since I was 18, and I absolutely love my job. When all these young know-it-alls with their shiny new cards start running rings round me I might consider packing it in, but I reckon that's a long way off. They have absolutely no organisation or any methodical way of working.

But who you are working with makes a big difference. you've got to have a laugh at work

yes tried many times to escape,22 years, but always fall back into it, starting to slow down but yet to see young scaffs who is given a knocker and be away early.
wanting brakes, on phone & not knowing the kit they want on the job,get the labourer working right for you, and you can keep going all day or till lunchtime.

Started at 18, still swinging the spanner till 6 years ago (aged 58) then I crossed over to the dark side ,H&S consultancy and scaffold inspection work on a self employed part time basis.

Done every job related to scaffolding,from labourer to limited scaffold company owner (twice)

Had many laughs along the way and a few tears, but thats life.

No regrets what so ever loved the job and the lads that I worked with. But the old grim reaper gets us all in the end,

Wouldn't swap it, gave me a good living and a good laugh.

Wouldnt change a thing. i have met some great blokes and been all over the world. Would go back on the spanners tomorrow especially over here where a scaff gets great money for very little.
If the lads today had a taste of what work was like back in the days they would be jacking and getting jobs stacking shelves.

Wouldnt change a thing. i have met some great blokes and been all over the world. Would go back on the spanners tomorrow especially over here where a scaff gets great money for very little.
If the lads today had a taste of what work was like back in the days they would be jacking and getting jobs stacking shelves.[/QUOTE

Hows it didling hswt?
Couldnt put it better myself. Went in to other work years ago, scaffolding was always a part of my work,new builds lofts extentions. Since finding the forum it has re-ignited my interest,and put me in touch with a lot of interesting characters and stories. Al that was required,spanner bubble tape and a little motorbike unlike other trades.

What other job encourages shags on site, pub every Friday with the boys after work and the ability to earn decent money when you left school with no qualifications. Been scaffolding 20 years and made a good living. Iv'e worked with some brilliant scaffs and made good friends over the years would not change a thing.

True, never shagged one though, each to his own.

i was a steel erector for 8 years and loved every minute then took up the spanner 15 years ago and loved every minute until got into the agency scene and its really hard to keep my head up,scaff till i die...

im a scaffollder of 20 years and wishing i never got in to the game dont know if its the down turn in work but just want out but its all i have done since leaving school just wondering if any of u felt the same but scaffolding is hard to get out of when its in your blood and u cant have as much fun in any other trade

In one simple phrase......I love it (still)......:love:

It can be a love/ hate relationship sometimes, but you will never work with a better bunch of blokes.

Question: "Who would you want next to you if you were in the shyte?"

Answer: "A fellow Scaffolder..... no doubt at all!"

We work hard using mental (some are more mental than others) and physical agility. There are hard jobs and easier jobs, but in general we do things that the average man can't, or doesn't want to do.

Scaffolders are the salt of the Earth.......and without us there would be no Construction Industry

That's very true Charlie, if ever I was in trouble I would always look to a scaff first to help me out.

As said before on this thread if your not happy with the blokes you are working with then you will hate it !

Thing is we spend more time with our work mates than we do with our wifes or girl friends so really were not going to get on all of the time .

For me i love the job and hate the job but still want to do it seven days a week, if the job was the same day in day out how boring would it be .

Stick with it tomorrow is another day

Started in 1964 as a 16 year old with Mills Scaffold Co Bradford, spent many years with SGB and am still in the game at the tender age of 63, albeit not on the spanners but in the office, tried a few times to get out of it but like any drug you soon weaken and get drawn back, have loved my years in the job and worked in places would never have visited had i been a brickie or a machine overlooker, also worked with some great lads [a lot of them dead now], but on the other hand also worked with some complete *******
all said and done would not have changed a thing :idea::idea:

Top Bottom