Was I wrong or just missing the point??!!!

rcg172

Reaction score
Hello All. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me whether I was right or wrong today?!!
I was erecting a street job today with a part 2 (late 40's)and part 1 labourer (19). I'm an advanced scaffolder and have been for the last six years or so. I'm still relatively young to be a chargehand, 28, but am also NEBOSH qualified and SMSTS trained. Scaffolding is all I've done since I was fifteen/ left school.
The two guys I worked with have been on the firm at least two years whereas I've just completed my fourth week. Anyway, I was on the second lift and asked the part one bloke to cut me a dead size toe board. He flatly refused,said he couldn't be bothered, and told me (not asked) that I pull a thirteen foot board up along with the saw and cut it on the lift and then pass everything back down (saw, offcut etc)
I then pointed this out to him..... he got a sulk on and I was then told by the part 2 that I was the one with the sh1t attitude!! At no point was I rude or 'bullying', abusing my position etc. I was always taught that as a labourer you always kept the guys on the scaffold erecting and getting them whatever they required.
The thing is I've been working working with this gang now for the past week and get the feeling that the part 2 doesn't like working under a younger chargehand, and the part one guy doesn't like to take orders from someone so young either.
This is the first time I've ever had aggro with work colleagues and was a tad surprised at the response I received at just asking for a board to be cut!!

Hi rcg,
If the part 1 tried that on here or any other job I have ever been on I would have jumped on him from the second lift and punched him back to the bru office, forget health and safety, just cut the effin board ya wee ****.:mad:

sadly that seems to be becoming the attitude nowar days.next time,launch yur spanner at him.

sadly that seems to be becoming the attitude nowar days.next time,launch yur spanner at him.

You are so true these youngs guys have far to much to say and no repect for the job or the other guys in the gang , had this a few times myself in the past and the first time i let it go but after that there was no way i was taking that sort of **** from these guys older or younger

his job to cut the board and his job to watch and learn why you are doing this, get rid the little ****, 28 is not to young either, i been 29yrs doing this and started same as you right from school, stick in there mate i am Managing in the middle east now have the same **** but i just sack the fuckers then head back home sit by my own pool while my girl hands me the beer, Scaffolding is a good life if ya stick in. gogs.

i know where your coming from with this mate. im only 29 and been in similar situations. get down off the scaffold, square up to him, explain why he should be doing it, if that doesnt work give him a glasgow kiss and send him on his way. repeat steps 1-4 for the scaff who wishes he was in charge

I am now 41 years of age and found myself being a chargehand in my early twenties (been scaffolding since leaving school) . The reason I was chargehand was because I got jobs done in time safely and without incident . You have to speak to your manager and find were the land lies . I was given the order "if they don`t like it tell them to get to fuc$ .As for cutting that toe board I would have jumped down , cut it myself and told the guy he is a to$$er . You will find yourself squaring up many times in this game , back down and your done for .
All the best .

Very true situation , half the new labour comin into the game aint worth a toss

i would have gone down cut the board on the ground then beat the FU** out of the labourer with the off cut and said to the other guy "thats how you deal with disrespectful mugs" :)

If he'd said that in my day he'd be wearing a double for a hat :D

I would of asked him once more nicely, if he still refusd I would of f****d him off back to the wagon and told him to stay there till the job was done then reported him back at yard to the boss, know one will want him in there gang and he will soon have know job.

If you dont want the aggro of the arguing just throw him his Bus Fare Home!

just tell them tomorrow morning that thats the way it is and they can lump it or they can explain to the boss why they dont want to cut the board and do as they're told regardless of your age, if that dont work, strip the ****** and chain him to the back of the wagon for all to see as you drive down the motorway!:nuts:

I am affraid the days of grabbing a young disrespectfull scroat around the neck and threatening to break it are long gone . Firstly the local constabulary won`t be impressed if the little sh!t grasses you and with all the claims that go on they could jack and sight you as the grievance . Bo!!ocks I know but the only thing you can do is tell them the only way to get respect is give it in spades if not hit him with a spade and f"ck the consequenses .

If you dont want the aggro of the arguing just throw him his Bus Fare Home!
:

i got a verbal warning for that

was doing a tower block and put 10p in the bucket and sent it down

he took it out and shouted whats this for

i yelled back get your bag and call your mum to come get ya, your f****** useless

he used it to phone the boss, who then gave me my verbal (how he kept a straight face i dont know)

when i was 16 yr old and learning , i didnt dare pass a bent 5ft up a bad fitting or anything, if id refused to cut a board id have still been running now.

so if id been in your situation id have jumped down and fcukin killed him an if his mate said anything id have killed him too

thats the way these days !!!! a good beating used to sort out the gobby 1s you had a good lad if he turned up next day

more than one way to skin a cat, if you havent been there long you might not feel comfortable shouting the odds etc i'd make his life as difficult as possible, where you might help him out usually dont! make him chain gear up or sumat and dont join in til he's nearly got it up! anything that'l make his day that little bit harder lol

Afraid thats the way it seems to be going with the young ones these days mate,no use letting the scroats wind you up,there are ways and means of sorting these gobshites out.A nice long pull up on the rope for a few days for starters,if not zip tie the little sxxts thumbs to his ankles and give him the treatment..

more than one way to skin a cat, if you havent been there long you might not feel comfortable shouting the odds etc i'd make his life as difficult as possible, where you might help him out usually dont! make him chain gear up or sumat and dont join in til he's nearly got it up! anything that'l make his day that little bit harder lol

Yep agree. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Top Bottom