Unfair Dismissal

Rigger

Reaction score
What do you reckon lads, The Tories showing their true colours and contempt for the working man and his “rights”?

Is a Venture Capitalist the correct person to be making these reports ?

I do not think 240,000 claims from a working population of 30 million (estimate) is that high

6:10AM BST 26 Oct 2011

A move to allow employers to sack underperforming workers, without explanation, is the key recommendation in the Downing Street report leaked to The Daily Telegraph.

Written by the venture capitalist Adrian Beecroft and commissioned by David Cameron it warns that Britain’s economic growth is being undermined by onerous employment laws that are costing companies billions of pounds a year.

Unlike many other employment regulations, the concept of unfair dismissal was not imposed by Europe but introduced by the Government more than 40 years ago.

The laws have been strengthened to such an extent that many employers find it impossible to dismiss underperforming workers. Companies must go through a complex process of warnings before they can dismiss a worker and frequently face hefty bills from unfair dismissal court cases as a result.
Last year, the Tribunals Service reported a 56 per cent year-on-year rise in claims to nearly 240,000.

Employers are ordered in court to pay out about £1 billion a year – although the true cost, including tens of thousands of out-of-court settlements is thought to be far higher. It typically costs firms an average of £8,500 to defend a case at a tribunal, and an average of £5,400 to pay off an employee. Some cases cost tens, or even hundreds of thousands of pounds

George Osborne, the Chancellor, has already identified the issue of unfair dismissal as a threat to the economy.

The Beecroft report’s recommendation to scrap the concept of unfair dismissal altogether is understood to have been backed by the Conservatives.

Explaining how its replacement, the Compulsory No Fault Dismissal system, could be made more equitable, the report says: “The employee should be given a chance to argue his or her case, and to suggest (but not demand) that they be given time to improve or be transferred to a less demanding job at a lower wage. If no such agreement could be reached, the employee would receive the same payment they would get if they had been made redundant.”

Yesterday, Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister, gave a speech in which he also backed a reduction in regulation and insisted that the Liberal Democrats supported a business-friendly environment. He said employers should be able to have “protected conversations” with older workers during which they could ask them about their retirement plans – without the threat of legal action.

Last edited:
SAME OLD TORIES AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED
AS FOR ASKING A VENTURE CAPITALIST WHAT HE THINKS OF IT,IS LIKE ASKING A DOG IF HE WANTS A BONE YOU KNOW THE ANSWER BEFORE YOUVE ASKED IT.
AS FOR THE ECONOMY IS IT NOT VENTURE CAPITALISTS WHO GOT US ALL IN THIS MESS.
THE TORIES ONLY GOT IN BECAUSE WE WERE PROMISED A REFERENDUM ON EUROPE,ASSYLUM AND IMMIGRATION WOULD BE GREATLY REDUCED AND THE ECONOMY WOULD BE TURNED AROUND OVERNIGHT.
NONE OF THIS HAS HAPPENED ALL WE GET IS AN ERROSION OF WORKERS RIGHTS AND PENSIONS,AND MASSIVE PAYMENTS FOR THE BANKERS YOU AND I ARE STILL BAILING OUT.WHY BE SUPRISED A LEOPARD CAN NEVER CHANGE ITS SPOTS:mad::mad::mad:

I personally think employees are over protected at the moment but would not like it changed so the employer has to much power also, needs changing but there is a fine line to tread .

Tories - Labour - Lib Dems, they are all the same.

They only care about lining their own pockets.
Britain is one of the most corrupt countries in the world, even more so then ones in other places like South America and stuff. Its just that they are more honest there and dont deny their corruption, unlike our so-called leaders... who spout that they have Britains interest at heart, all the while taking the royal piss out things like expenses and stuff.

All Politicians, are nothing more crooked salesmen.
They would sell their own Mothers to get that vital vote and slide another blood soaked £10 in their dirty back pockets.

Catch 22 situation. Employers shouldn't be able to use this to fire who they please but then again they shouldn't have to tolerate some of these work shy wankrs that are keeping decent men out of jobs.
I'm working with one at the moment, his sole purpose at work is to spend as much time as possible hiding in the toilets phoning his mrs & when he is on the job he deliberately fks it up & slows it all down. No one here will work with him, they all flatly refuse & becouse I'm on with the agency I get lumbered with him. To top it off he's been getting away with this ***** for 12 years!!!!

i'm with super its a fine line and it works both ways,
for instance you have 2 men at work,
one has been there for a few year and thinks he's a part of the furniture and knows he can't be "touched" and he's bone idol.
then the other is a hard working and reliable but he is the first to go,
well i'm sorry if that makes me a bad person for wanting more equal rights,
but it p1sses me off that we cant sack the lazy good for nothing long termers and keep the men that WANT IT, through this pathetic ruling we have now.

bring it on, but be fair

Most of us are either classed as temporary workers or on short term contracts so these laws don't apply before or after the changes.

I've seen it on loads of jobs the wa****rs seem to rise to the top.

Why?

If you was a useless unorganised Supervisor (Hypothetically speaking)... like most of them are, would you want some young keen and dedicated guy working under you, that might make you look silly?

No, you'd want the most incompetent and worthless men possible to f.uck up and do everything backwards as much as they could, to make you look better.

I truly believe this is why the decent guys get overlooked and the w@nkers get the important jobs.

Obviously not all Supervisors are like this, some are good as gold, but alot ive seen and worked for literally cant organise a 10 year olds Birthday party in McDonalds.

Its the only sensible reason why this continues to happen. :notrust:

one has been there for a few year and thinks he's a part of the furniture and knows he can't be "touched" and he's bone idol.
but it p1sses me off that we cant sack the lazy good for nothing long termers and keep the men that WANT IT, through this pathetic ruling we have now.

bring it on, but be fair

try haveing half a dozen jakdan dont forget the handrail and tow board bandits that think that!!! this is a scaffolders role day in day out:bigsmile:

bring it on, but be fair

I agree with you in principle Jakdan, because what you are saying is right in some respects.... people in permanant jobs & long termers can get complacent and take the piss............However employers will always abuse NEPOTISM ie friends & family...also if the face dont fit any more your gone....so where does that leave the average hard working man in the street with no long term service in and who unfortunatly can't rely on employment protection laws & good old Nepotism..:confused:

how things change can remember a job 20 years a go the gaffers layed 40 men off just to get rid of one bad penny next couple of days the lads started to filter back wouldnt happen now you would be in front of a judge

how things change can remember a job 20 years a go the gaffers layed 40 men off just to get rid of one bad penny next couple of days the lads started to filter back wouldnt happen now you would be in front of a judge

20 years ago Dico??? still go's on now...... Now some companies use the MATRIX system rather than LIFO 'last in first out' which is even corrupter than a certain Scaffolding organisation N***;)

Don't really matter which way they powder you.... when ur numbers up, your walking the mile..

and if you are in a union you have a chance of a remedy:p

must agree with gibbs, graft and get fckd,toss it off and get an helpin hand and kept on ,That reminds me must get me gag reflex taken out and knee pads on, on notice at minute nearly forgot.

I remember it well Dico and got caught up in it a couple of times, first time I was too naive to realise and knocked back the chance to go back but second time around I was more switched on. I actually think like most it's inevitable that these laws are relaxed but as quoted a fine dangerous line to be trod.

was the same aom younge naive and only interested in getting home to chat some stoinker up at the local pub lol!!! its amazing how many blokes get overtime when you stay late to get a lift home off your father exspecially the boiler clinker bashers lol!!! you know how you are

Thanks to all that have posted thier views

I think we still need the legislation as a last resort protection against "unfair"dismissal.
Some point out that it makes it hard to dismiss the "dead wood" within companies,I agree, but is the alternative, of running around like an idiot scared to death of being fired at a moments notice, any better for worker, employer relations

I agree with you in principle Jakdan, because what you are saying is right in some respects.... people in permanant jobs & long termers can get complacent and take the piss............However employers will always abuse NEPOTISM ie friends & family...also if the face dont fit any more your gone....so where does that leave the average hard working man in the street with no long term service in and who unfortunatly can't rely on employment protection laws & good old Nepotism..:confused:

But surely if your a hardworking man off the street, good at your job, good team worker, good time keeper and dont take the pish.

YOU DONT NEED EMPLOYMENT PROTECTION LAWS

but there are too many pish taking tosser,s about today hiding behind these laws .

there are too many pish taking tosser,s about not working these day,s

there is also too many pish taking tosser,s employing pish taking tosser,s these day,s and employing people because of who they know not what they know, keeping best mates and family on board while letting others go regardless of how good they are.

We do need change but like i said before the good need to be able to protect themselves, and the bad need to be less protected whether employee or employer.

Ive said before and i will say it again , Until we get rid of these no win no fee solicitors, and the claim an sue culture we wont really know what rules and regs to change because unless we get back to common sense decision making we wont really know if current regs an rules are adequate for our needs.

The fear of compensation Rules above everything else in this country, decisions are made with this in mind.

That will be the thin line we are talking about Rigger, no way should we be allowed to slip back to the dark days but as with most things in modern life we have come so far we are going backwards.

Top Bottom