UK first or second?

The aussies are great thought and a lot of the system they use can be a lot more practical at times. I think its due to the climate, every country seems to have different systems. ie if you put them aliminium towers up over here they`d blow away but in oz we did a whole church with the stuff dropers n everything over here health n safety wouldnt let you go more than 2 or 3 lifts.
And as for those swinging stages they use, very practical and great for really high jobs just the weather over here would blow the show all over the place. As for layher system we get so much rain the welds would rot away so we need a more sturdy material.
Not having a go just my experience and opinion thats all.
Sometimes tube n fitting can be more hard work than it needs to be.

Average yearly rainfall in Manchester is 800mm Sydney 1217mm
Not seen many swing stages or aluminium towers on major oil and gas projects anywhere.
Layher originates from Germany which has similar weather to UK and is used all over the world dont think the welds would rot.
i have 7,000 tonnes of scaffolding material on this project split 70% tube, fitting and timber boards. The other 30% is Layher.Enough said!!

Having spent a lot of my time running projects in OZ there is defo not a chance that the standard on T&F is better than the UK. The only decent lads (which were mainly expats) were working over at Karratha. Apart from Karratha all the main Petrochem and power stations all use kwikstage and T&F for more complex work. The T&F is a proper nitemare over there, laminated boards and 1/2 fittings. Layher have started to make a mark in Oz but because the Kwikstage is so cheap from the likes of Boral etc it's competition is too much. When I was out there we were bringing in phillipeanoes into the country for the North West Territory because they were far better than Aussies in T&F

Average yearly rainfall in Manchester is 800mm Sydney 1217mm
Not seen many swing stages or aluminium towers on major oil and gas projects anywhere.
Layher originates from Germany which has similar weather to UK and is used all over the world dont think the welds would rot.
i have 7,000 tonnes of scaffolding material on this project split 70% tube, fitting and timber boards. The other 30% is Layher.Enough said!!

Are you sure you`r in Austrailia, the weather worse than UK, Aussies top T&F scaffs, can i have some of what ur taking.
Like topperoff said you cant put oz scaffs n britt in the same sentence anybody whose been there will know that.
Is scaffolding a recognised trade in Oz!!

Last edited:
Just wondered if any of you had the pleasure of working with any of the europeon scaffs or overseas scaffs and what your thoughts where?Not being stupid but i think scaffs from the uk are the leading tradesmen putting ther lives at risk practicaly every working day of ther lives!also have any of them had any different spanners or tools than us?

Once worked with an Aussie scaff, he had a rope (not sure what for) a boomerang and a fishing rod and corks hanging from his hard hat:D

I worked with Ozzies n Kiwies and their completely lost with TnF, they dont have spanners just a rachet for tying in and a hammer for all the form work. In my opinion scaffolding down under is just labouring at hights not much skill involved.
Worked in Sydney and Brisbern over the space of a year, didnt see one single during that time or a spanner, they all had hammers n rachets.
The lads told me the advanced course was a two day course and the only thing made from tube n fitting they did was a ramp. Probably similar to our kwick form two day course so really no comparison there when asking who are the better trained.

Alrite woodsie, you answered your self here mate,you only worked with system scaffs in oz so you cant argue the toss as to how good kiwi and oz t&f scaffs are. I worked in NZ on t&f, they re as good as any other scaff I worked with. The history of down under scaffolding is linked closely to Britain as commonwealth countries,scaffolding was imported from Uk along with scaffs who immigrated there. I worked for Auckland scaffolding (Owned by ex Barrow man Jimmy Molyniux and his partner Mitch Barret from Northhampton)and Safeways both companies run and operated by Brits with mainly expats staff.
It is a recognised trade over there. Cant understand why its a differnt card over here. Same system,same fittings..same regs.

if you cant erect/dismantle/modify tube and fitting scaffolding to a exceptable standard your not a scaff,if you have served your time on bang and go systems regardles of what country you trained you will stay on the floor and pass me the gear.

Are you sure you`r in Austrailia, the weather worse than UK, Aussies top T&F scaffs, can i have some of what ur taking.
Like topperoff said you cant put oz scaffs n britt in the same sentence anybody whose been there will know that.
Is scaffolding a recognised trade in Oz!!

I said there is more rainfall in Sydney than in Manchester its a FACT.
I live in Karratha and there is top quality work done on this project by Aussies and Kiwis....thats also a fact.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Having spent a lot of my time running projects in OZ there is defo not a chance that the standard on T&F is better than the UK. The only decent lads (which were mainly expats) were working over at Karratha. Apart from Karratha all the main Petrochem and power stations all use kwikstage and T&F for more complex work. The T&F is a proper nitemare over there, laminated boards and 1/2 fittings. Layher have started to make a mark in Oz but because the Kwikstage is so cheap from the likes of Boral etc it's competition is too much. When I was out there we were bringing in phillipeanoes into the country for the North West Territory because they were far better than Aussies in T&F

Why did you find T&F a nightmare mate? Ok I accept the laminated boards are a bit heavier than the BS boards but 1/2 inch fittings??? We had those in the UK years ago. Same fitting just different size nut...hardly a nightmare.
Not seen any Filipino scaffs here yet but there are a few laggers and painters.
Filipino scaffs were used in Singapore, Russia etc but are more expensive than Nepali or Indian.

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 AM ----------

And Woodsie yes I am in Australia.

Its 10-40 am on Foundation Day so a public holiday.

Its also raining so hope those Layher welds dont rot !!!!!

hello mate, the nitemare was mainly getting hands on equipment and good quality labour to put the work up. Karratha I do accept as in my previous post has decent labour, but it's also the best paid job in Oz so dont think this is the standard across Oz because it's defo not. I was involved in most power stations and Petrochem sites throughout Oz and the labour cant touch the UK in terms of ability. Also you would have had Kwikstage on Karratha if Layher did not give them the piece of paper to say the boards were Cyclone proof, lol. Your right about the weather mate, I lived Sydney and its the best kept secret about the rain (comes down in sheets for days mate)

hello mate, the nitemare was mainly getting hands on equipment and good quality labour to put the work up. Karratha I do accept as in my previous post has decent labour, but it's also the best paid job in Oz so dont think this is the standard across Oz because it's defo not. I was involved in most power stations and Petrochem sites throughout Oz and the labour cant touch the UK in terms of ability. Also you would have had Kwikstage on Karratha if Layher did not give them the piece of paper to say the boards were Cyclone proof, lol. Your right about the weather mate, I lived Sydney and its the best kept secret about the rain (comes down in sheets for days mate)

Most of the guys here now worked in may other places before. Worsley, Gove places like that. So maybe its the case of the best scaffs get the best jobs? Thats the same in the UK as theres plenty of rough no hopers there you only have to read other posts for that.
Plenty of kwikstage up here as well although you are right in saying Woodside was told Layher is the best system ever and cyclone proof lol But as per one of my previous posts we have 70% T&F here to 30% system.

anyone no the percetage of scaffolders working offshore from the north east

Alrite woodsie, you answered your self here mate,you only worked with system scaffs in oz so you cant argue the toss as to how good kiwi and oz t&f scaffs are. I worked in NZ on t&f, they re as good as any other scaff I worked with. The history of down under scaffolding is linked closely to Britain as commonwealth countries,scaffolding was imported from Uk along with scaffs who immigrated there. I worked for Auckland scaffolding (Owned by ex Barrow man Jimmy Molyniux and his partner Mitch Barret from Northhampton)and Safeways both companies run and operated by Brits with mainly expats staff.
It is a recognised trade over there. Cant understand why its a differnt card over here. Same system,same fittings..same regs.

Yeh I cant argue the toss to how good Aus t&F scaffs are coz i didnt meet any after living and working there for a whole year so they must be few and far apart. The first scaffod i saw on arrival was a hanger near their most famous land mark, sydney opera house. It was two beams trussed out over the sea with an aliminium moblie tower suspended off them, I doubt you`d get away with that one here.
There maybe T&F somewhere in Oz but I never saw it and they dont have any T&F courses and i doubt their as good as the guys from the mother land, over here T&F is everywhere you look.
If you meet a scaff here thats what they are a T&F scaff dont have to go to anywhere specific to meet them like a shut down their eveywhere street jobs the lot, sounds like their a rare breed in Oz if their only on the shut downs.

Woodsie,maybe theyre all in Western Oz with HSWT,I did work in Melbourne where t&f was used on the same site,but thats over 15 years ago now,so cant comment on Sidney

Woodsie,maybe theyre all in Western Oz with HSWT,I did work in Melbourne where t&f was used on the same site,but thats over 15 years ago now,so cant comment on Sidney

I worked on the spanners in Sydney back in 99-01.

Personally, I found the general standard of scaffolding and scaffolders extremely poor when compared to the UK.

Most scaffolders carried half of Leaches around their waist, which I found rather amusing.

That said, I did learn power cradles or 'swing stages' as they call them from a couple of very knowledgeable Sydneysiders.

Never worked on power or utility jobs, so I cannot comment there.

Top Bottom