UK first or second?

bolo

Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you had the pleasure of working with any of the europeon scaffs or overseas scaffs and what your thoughts where?Not being stupid but i think scaffs from the uk are the leading tradesmen putting ther lives at risk practicaly every working day of ther lives!also have any of them had any different spanners or tools than us?

Just wondered if any of you had the pleasure of working with any of the europeon scaffs or overseas scaffs and what your thoughts where?Not being stupid but i think scaffs from the uk are the leading tradesmen putting ther lives at risk practicaly every working day of ther lives!also have any of them had any different spanners or tools than us?
I have worked overseas for 20 years.
When I first travelled I thought that we (UK) were the bees knees and no one could touch us.
Here is my opinion.
Dutch the offshore scaffs who use the spear or wedge fittings spot on.
Germans extremely well organised and efficient.
Nepalese the hardest workers and the quickest learners.
Indians slow learners but dependable.
Pakistanis good but too much trouble.
Chinese the same as Pakistani.
Bangladeshi unteachable and lazy.
Aussies and Kiwis the T&F guys far more technically able than Brit scaffs.
Tool wise the Aussies have nips for cutting wire lashings as use a lot thinner gauge than offshore in UK sector.
South Africans shout a lot but are useless.

Alrite HSWT. that analisys is obviously based on personal experience. How are Ozzies ad Kiwis more technically able, just interested. You had an earlier post about transomes tied with doubles, across the standards. I remember doing this years ago in NZ,problem being boards rocking if you filled in with singles on trannies. The boards were also thicker.

I have worked overseas for 20 years.
When I first travelled I thought that we (UK) were the bees knees and no one could touch us.
Here is my opinion.
Dutch the offshore scaffs who use the spear or wedge fittings spot on.
Germans extremely well organised and efficient.
Nepalese the hardest workers and the quickest learners.
Indians slow learners but dependable.
Pakistanis good but too much trouble.
Chinese the same as Pakistani.
Bangladeshi unteachable and lazy.
Aussies and Kiwis the T&F guys far more technically able than Brit scaffs.
Tool wise the Aussies have nips for cutting wire lashings as use a lot thinner gauge than offshore in UK sector.
South Africans shout a lot but are useless.

you didnt mention teesider,s Havespannerwilltravel, talk a good job while shape shifting and shirking. lol (hahahaha)

Alrite HSWT. that analisys is obviously based on personal experience. How are Ozzies ad Kiwis more technically able, just interested. You had an earlier post about transomes tied with doubles, across the standards. I remember doing this years ago in NZ,problem being boards rocking if you filled in with singles on trannies. The boards were also thicker.

Yes mate, what the offshore boys call Aberdeen transoms. Fixed under the ledger doesnt affect transoms on singles on ledger, Just means scaffold is fixed with loadbearing couplers. If B+P are available a transom by the standards on the ledger will suffice. Boards are laminated pine but still use max 1-2 m centres as a minimum requirement.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

you didnt mention teesider,s Havespannerwilltravel, talk a good job while shape shifting and shirking. lol (hahahaha)

I have worked with a large number of Middlesboroughs finest years ago.
They certainly opened my eyes!!!!!!!

Here we go again !
Why pick on the smoggies all the time?
I could understand if you were having a go at the scousers!

Thats where the mill's double comes in handy can get the tranny right up to the ledger,
Does anybody still sell Mill's?

Still the same, doesnt matter if your a jock, geordie, bristol boy, a taffy, a londoner, a yorkie,, yoy will find some are w**ankers, on the whole ive met some good guys from round the country, and im glad im a scaff, met somer quality guys, still dont like the little jocks that much.:toung::toung:

Thats where the mill's double comes in handy can get the tranny right up to the ledger,
Does anybody still sell Mill's?

Dandaps,I was looking up mills fittings recently,theres a uk company that does em I think they trade under the name crocadile. Remember Ken Cains post on the mills 90 fitting being so adaptable,use to be great for spreaders if you dropped the nut and bolt off one side

i was unfortunate enough to work with a south african recently and he was an absolute tool.fcking useless but thought because he was big he was superman .brain over brawn every time.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

by the way there was a couple of smogs on the same job and they were bang on.

Still the same, doesnt matter if your a jock, geordie, bristol boy, a taffy, a londoner, a yorkie,, yoy will find some are w**ankers, on the whole ive met some good guys from round the country, and im glad im a scaff, met somer quality guys, still dont like the little jocks that much.:toung::toung:

there fine its just that mr d!!! lourie and he will be in the police force soon:laugh: then if we get pulled over we can say what a great scaffolder he used to be:worried:

I worked with Ozzies n Kiwies and their completely lost with TnF, they dont have spanners just a rachet for tying in and a hammer for all the form work. In my opinion scaffolding down under is just labouring at hights not much skill involved.
Worked in Sydney and Brisbern over the space of a year, didnt see one single during that time or a spanner, they all had hammers n rachets.
The lads told me the advanced course was a two day course and the only thing made from tube n fitting they did was a ramp. Probably similar to our kwick form two day course so really no comparison there when asking who are the better trained.

I worked with Ozzies n Kiwies and their completely lost with TnF, they dont have spanners just a rachet for tying in and a hammer for all the form work. In my opinion scaffolding down under is just labouring at hights not much skill involved.
Worked in Sydney and Brisbern over the space of a year, didnt see one single during that time or a spanner, they all had hammers n rachets.
The lads told me the advanced course was a two day course and the only thing made from tube n fitting they did was a ramp. Probably similar to our kwick form two day course so really no comparison there when asking who are the better trained.

You obviously only worked on town jobs.
You should have got out to the shut downs and the new industrial builds.
Top T&F scaffolds there mate.
Quality wise its like comparing UK street jobs with offshore....different class

Top tube n fitting jobs here wheather street or offshore. Where would ozzies learn tube n fitting if they dont teach it at college?? I know you learn a lot on the job but isnt it more proffesional when you have a curriculem? So what your saying is only ozzies on shutdowns are scaffolders.
I worked on chemical plant in Sydney (same as power sation work) and I was late for work that morning but they had to wait for me coz they didnt have a clue what to do.

You learn everything on the job. The courses wherever they are are pretty much just turn up and get the certificate.
I suppose the idea of the NVQ and the portfolio were a good idea to see if UK youngsters could actually do the job.
As a NVQ assessor i know that most people just use other peoples work for the portfolio.
The Kiwis and Aussies I have come across are spot on with T&F and there are some who have worked in the UK who mention the poor standards of scaffolding on street and sites in London.
I guess its a matter of personal experience and opinion but I should think there are scaffolders in all countries who are top hands and also many who are as rough as a bears back.
Did you do your advanced course yet?

If its Oz versus UK, Its kwick stage versus tube n fitting. Simples

The aussies are great thought and a lot of the system they use can be a lot more practical at times. I think its due to the climate, every country seems to have different systems. ie if you put them aliminium towers up over here they`d blow away but in oz we did a whole church with the stuff dropers n everything over here health n safety wouldnt let you go more than 2 or 3 lifts.
And as for those swinging stages they use, very practical and great for really high jobs just the weather over here would blow the show all over the place. As for layher system we get so much rain the welds would rot away so we need a more sturdy material.
Not having a go just my experience and opinion thats all.
Sometimes tube n fitting can be more hard work than it needs to be.

Top Bottom