Twin Tailed Lanyards?

aom

Reaction score
Just wondering who uses them and was additional training given?

A scaffolder started with us nearly a year back and asked if he could use his own twin tailed harness which I had no problem with as it was fairly new in good condition and he had all the certs. I did have a wee niggling doubt in the back of my mind that there was an issue with them but as usual my attention was focused elsewhere and quickly forgot them until it was time for the usual round of thorough inspections when I decided to take it off him but told him I would dig out the safety watch and explain my reasons. It sat in the back of the yard with a few others waiting for inspection until we did the harness inspection course and we learned the dangers of misusing these things and it just got me thinking, are we just slower than the average scaff or are there people using these things without the proper training?

ive used them with cape and hertel and no special training was given and cape especially never leave anything to chance.
what ive always done is to put the 2 hooks at the one point unless traverseing

What's the point in having 2 hooks though if they have to be hooked to the same point though?

you use them for beam work so your always clipped on, also shows you in SG4:10 clipped to 2 standards on the inside.

its good for the traversing IE going out on beams 3 points of contact(hook on before you hook off)i think that the problem could be that guys were wrapping around the spare and if there was an incident the harness was being pulled in different ways,thats why the 2 should be out at the 1 time.

I've seen the guidance Carl and it was for beam work I was wanting to get them, it's the additional disclaimer that comes with them that concerns me and if you clip on to the wrong thing at the wrong time it could fail completely. Am I reading to much into it or does anyone else think that's dodgy?

Don't like them at all, never used them.

aom
i had similar concerns,but contractors insist on them on certain jobs, but i only make the boys wear them on beamwork...we also did the harness inspection via miller and then changed all ppe to miller to keep it easy, the couse included correct use and was very informative,but also common sence.seems like was stated problem accur when the spare hook is wrapped around ur torso not being use and in the case of a fall the equiptment wont function correctly..something to be addressed in your working at height fall retrevial plan

I've seen the guidance Carl and it was for beam work I was wanting to get them, it's the additional disclaimer that comes with them that concerns me and if you clip on to the wrong thing at the wrong time it could fail completely. Am I reading to much into it or does anyone else think that's dodgy?

From an earlier post it says you have training in this, was it explained that a double lanyard is always better with one shock absorber however it does not stop you using two. The issue in the safety watch was the operative had one scaffhook clipped on and the other one wrapped round his body and he fell. The shock went up the the absorber and down the other lanyard crushing his ribs. This is the reason when using a double or twin tailed lanyard you clip both on or have the second hook clipped to a sacrificial parking point on your harness, Cape, SSSL, Hertel and larger companies have a velcro strap or a plastic hook attached to their harness, the harness is purchased with it, if you fall the lanyard breaks free and stops the crushing. This is all in the instructions when you buy then and in the EN standard they are made to.

Ian

aom
i had similar concerns,but contractors insist on them on certain jobs, but i only make the boys wear them on beamwork...we also did the harness inspection via miller and then changed all ppe to miller to keep it easy, the couse included correct use and was very informative,but also common sence.seems like was stated problem accur when the spare hook is wrapped around ur torso not being use and in the case of a fall the equiptment wont function correctly..something to be addressed in your working at height fall retrevial plan

We were asked a few years back to supply them on one job in particular which was low level beam work on a canal, just about the same time the Safety Watch came out. When I showed them the report they retracted their request until further investigations were carried out and I've never heard another word about it.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

From an earlier post it says you have training in this, was it explained that a double lanyard is always better with one shock absorber however it does not stop you using two. The issue in the safety watch was the operative had one scaffhook clipped on and the other one wrapped round his body and he fell. The shock went up the the absorber and down the other lanyard crushing his ribs. This is the reason when using a double or twin tailed lanyard you clip both on or have the second hook clipped to a sacrificial parking point on your harness, Cape, SSSL, Hertel and larger companies have a velcro strap or a plastic hook attached to their harness, the harness is purchased with it, if you fall the lanyard breaks free and stops the crushing. This is all in the instructions when you buy then and in the EN standard they are made to.

Ian

Yes Ian it was explained and it's a thing that has been rumbling about my head for a long time so I took the chance to ask lots of questions. Also the guy in question who owned the harness went back home to ask lots of his pals who use them why would they be considered dodgy in any way and no one knew so I suspect there are still a lot of people out there who may not be aware of the right way to use these things, hence the reason for the posts. Embarrassingly when I went to give the guy his certs back as I told him to get it out my yard we did finally read the users manual and the instructions were there but as I said who reads the book, or is it just me?:embarrest:

It also turned out there was a parking point but he didn't know what it was for and again embarrassingly I never checked and he still stored the spare hook round his body.

If you get hold of a brand new one it should have a wee sticker with simple pictures showing you how to wear and use the twin tail lanyard

If it doesnt have a spare breakaway point to hook the spare,when they didnt come with these(obviously before the incident and the findings)WE HOOKED it through the ring that attaches the lanyard to the carabina hook

Do you think that is enough Gad in this day and age of litigation. Maybe I'm just looking far to deep in to it. If you apply the same rules to prevent us actually falling these harnesses would be banned.

New Sacrificial Anchor

Keep your eyes peeled for a new, functional, comfortable sacrificial anchor point. AOM will get the first version.....:cool:

Well done Nik, I wondered what it was going to be. Another reason I fekin love this forum a wee outfit like mine at the cutting edge, thanks admin.:cool:

In all seriousness, keep me posted as we are really needing to find a solution to this sooner rather than later.

Got one

Hi Alistair

Been invited to Glasgow to demonstrate for the new Royal Glasgow Hospital project, will bring the new anchor point up. next couple of weeks.

Nick

Nice, that could be a big one for you if it goes well. I will be in Glasgow I think the 9th-11th December maybe we could catch up but if not I would still like to see what you have.

Flynn Design Solutions

Keep your eyes peeled for a new, functional, comfortable sacrificial anchor point. AOM will get the first version.....

Would it be giving away trade secrets to ask why you thought there was a problem with the current set up? I was starting to think I was starting a fight in an empty house.

I've been looking at the comfort aspect of 'stowing the lanyard' rather than wrapping around the body. I know it's blowing the old Trumpet but wait 'till I show you and you'll apreciate how comfortable it is.

Nick

Top Bottom