Travel time

benjo0211

Reaction score
Does anybody know if travel time is a legal requirement or is it just a company incentive, I do 2 hours in a morning and 2 maybe 2 1/2 at evening

Its all down to individual companys benjo. Any travel i do over 45 mins i get paid my hourly rate.

Thought it was, must just be my firm are tight tw@s wouldn't mind but they're supposed to be (in there eyes) one of the best in the uk

If you are travelling from home to a site using your own car then they don't have to pay you. If you are travelling from home to the yard and are then using a company vehicle to travel to and from site effectively you are on company time and should get paid

Give the van to someone else.

Last edited:
I have a company van, and i still get travel time benjo. Again down to certain employers but i defo wouldn't travel 5hrs a day to and from work for fuk all.

If you are on the books, you are entitled to "travel Time" under "The National Rule Agreement" The same body that determines our Holiday Entitlment

Although we refer to this as "travel time" the expenses paid to you are calculated on Distance as "the crow flies"

There are two elements for this calculation

"Travel Allowance" an allowance for the time taken to travel the distance.This is paid after the deduction of Tax and is classed as part of your normal earnings

"Fare Allowance" an estimated allowance paid for the cost of travel towards bus/tube fare, car expense.
This is paid Untaxed as an allowable expense

Follow link for a copy of rates up to June 2012, I don't know if these rates have been increased since then.

http://ucatt.infobo.co.uk/sites/default/files/uploaded/publications/Travel2012.pdf

Good luck in trying to get a fair deal from your employer

You have a good case, not only are you making your own way to your place of work, for which you are entitled to a "traveling allowance", but also transporting others.

You are in effect "working" for your company as soon as you leave home,as you are engaged in picking up their employees and driving them to work.

You use your skills as a qualified and approved driver to convey their personnel to a place of work in a safe and suitable manner.

The couple of hours before and after your shifts, you should be paid as a driver.

Travel Time is only paid one way, companies do not pay for travel time back, and for mileage allowance at long last they go by AA route planner and not as the ' crow flies'.

It's 126.7km each way. I do it in a works van, I have a fuel card. I travel from Blackburn to padiham pick 3/4 lads up then travel to Sheffield

Travel Time is only paid one way, companies do not pay for travel time back, and for mileage allowance at long last they go by AA route planner and not as the ' crow flies'.

Depends who you work for. We get it to and from the job.

rigger makes a solid case you are working if you are picking people up.tell this to ur gaffer.u can allways say if they dont pay you the hours then you wont be picking any one up any more.

Top Bottom