Trainee supervisor ?

mightymouse

Reaction score
How can it ok for someone with a trainee ticket to get a SSSTS ticket.
I'm not saying he can't scaffold, He can
but on paper, how can this be ok.
What would happen if there was an accident,
and he was in charge at the time,
how can they supervise with a trainee ticket.

Would just like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Last edited:
how did he get the card in the first place,i would have thought with all the palava scaffs have to go through to be employed as scaffs you would have to at least be an advanced scaffolder to be in charge of scaffolders.
maybe simian would be the best one to answer this question,regarding what credentials you need to get a supervisors card.

Ma maw could get a SSSTS or any other of these tickets. They are a stand alone thing and it doesn't matter what other qualifications you have or don't have.

I think it's what you do with them or how the employer feel's about them that counts.

You dont even have to be a scaff to do the Supervisor or have any experience just pay n turn up for 5 days. Just goes to show they dont really care about the standard of the game just how much money can be made.

So where would the axe fall if something went wrong
The supervisor with a trainee ticket OR the basic or advanced scaff who is on the job.

Think you already know the answer to that mighty !
It would be our heads that rolled

Without a shadow of a doubt unless the gaffer has specifically put the young gun in charge then the ball lies squarely at his feet again.

So where would the axe fall if something went wrong
The supervisor with a trainee ticket OR the basic or advanced scaff who is on the job.

Unfortunately...
Shiit rolls down hill.

How many fukk ups have you known for Supervisors to make?
Ive known loads, tbh.

How many get sacked because of it?
Not many...

Why?
Because they are experts at passing the buck.
If they wiped their arse wrong, somehow you'd get the blame... :notrust:

but how does that work when you have to be on site with a ticket holder to supervise you. but you can have a supervisor that hasnt got any tickets supervising on site

When i did my course in 2007 there was 4 lads from SGB and 2 only had trainee tickets they where told they cant had over a scaffold but can price and do the risk / methord statements.
To hand over a job you are stating that the scaffold is erected correct and to TG20.08 guidance

when i did mine a couple of years ago,all of us had advance cards except one,he did'nt have any cards at all,yet was allowed to do the course and as far as i know got it,and we were told that you can handover and inspect scaffolds with a supervisors gold card!!otherwise whats the point of them?and i think you should require an advance card to be allowed on the course imo.

The SSSTS has nothing to do with scaffolding though, he could supervise a gang on a work site but couldn't do any hand-overs or tag signing with that.

So if your dont need any Scaffolding experience to get your SSSTS ticket and in theory become a Scaffolding Foreman/Supervisor, then Mighty Mouse would be fine...

He aint got much experience Scaffolding anyway and needs to buy his own poxxy 30mm Unit Beam Spanners, instead of nicking mine all the time, lol. :toung:

You could theoretically become a supervisor for any trade without ever being in that particular trade, all you really need is man management skills. It's just normal practice to recruit from the ranks so the guy's don't rip the backside right out you, although that is no guarantee as we all know.

If Mighty Mouse is the qualified scaff he would still be held responsible for the integrity of the job and the hand-over as well. The wee fud can be in charge of the kettle.

:eek:The poster was referring to the SSSTS.

I think you should be Advanced and be in the game atleast 20 years to become a Scaffolding Supervisor, with all the right tickets.

The time scale on things are kinda messed up, tbh...

• A Labourer should have atleast 2½ years experience before getting their Part 1.
  • A Part 1 should have atleast 5 years experience before getting their Part 2.
  • A Part 2 should have atleast 10 years experience before getting their Advanced.
  • An Advanced should have atleast 20 years experience before getting their Supervisors card.

Only my opinion ofcourse. :)

You are probably right and to be fair most of them that I have met have, but then you have to factor in the owners son and the like, happens in all corners of the world.

Top Bottom