Tie Loads?

haha, I get where you are coming from Joe, and to be honest I could send you a picture of a bigger job we did where we just sat the beams on a windowsill that aren't that old.:embarrest:

Different responsibilities now mate with too much to lose, I think the professionals call it "Risk Averse".;)

Alan
Whats the score with nailing band and plates to tube to increase capacity , how do u go about doing this ? I dont have the little yellow book anymore

Many thanks

Alan
Whats the score with nailing band and plates to tube to increase capacity , how do u go about doing this ? I dont have the little yellow book anymore

Many thanks

Haven't done that for around 30 years, we used to use a shot fired high tensile Hilti nail through the band into the tube and this gave an increased capacity. The problem was getting them off the tube after plus you had holes in your tube. I still have both the little green and the little yellow books. I will refresh on the detail in the morning and update you.
Not sure anyone does this anymore or why it died out.

Many thanks for the info , yes had seen the reference to it in the little book - but that page long gone

I kinda fell out with Hilti over the IW saga but could go cap in hand I suppose. The real reason I want to use the 2 hole Band and Plate is simply because it's all we have. As I said the stone is heavy and will pass a pull test but like you say some of the stones in fact more than likely all of them will have two fixings in the same stone.

Maybe I will reconsider my options.

Morning AOM
Just reading the little yellow book looking for another answer and came across this in the same section:

SHEAR CONNECTIONS
Where a band and plate fitting is required to support a significant shear load two additional fixing techniques may be used.

A. Resin-stud anchorage to concrete
Using the HILTI HBP M16 resin capsule avery strong fixing can bemade into concrete. A Band and Plate with a central fixing hole should be chosen.

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Many thanks for the info , yes had seen the reference to it in the little book - but that page long gone

The second section refers to the shot fired fitting:

B. Shot firing a Hilti EDS 22 PIO pin through the band into the tube the allowable load, can be improved to 20kN.
The EDS 22 PIO can only be fixed using the Hilti DX 600N cartridge tool using RED cartridge and a modified 6N/SLI protection shield.

Use the band with 2 holes to allow a central fixing for the Hilti Pin.

It's not knowing the answers that matters it;s knowing where to find them
regards
Alan

I'd be more worried about the brickwork - this will fail in bearing far before the B&P fixing or anchors fail.

Need to be careful with pull-out results also. These only test the shear strength of the material as the tripod legs are so close to the anchor itself - they won't tell you if you are going to pull the wall panel off!

It's solid stone IDH, I suppose I could rig the pull tester to not put any pressure on the stone I am testing but you need hands and arms like an octopus.

Thanks Alan, I suspected as much to be honest, hence the thread.

My designer has gone quiet again since I posed one or two questions but hopefully we will get an answer soon as we have already started erecting this thing but don't worry just the stuff founded from the deck.;)

It's solid stone IDH, I suppose I could rig the pull tester to not put any pressure on the stone I am testing but you need hands and arms like an octopus.

Thanks Alan, I suspected as much to be honest, hence the thread.

My designer has gone quiet again since I posed one or two questions but hopefully we will get an answer soon as we have already started erecting this thing .;)

told you just to crack on and when it drops theres to much on it lol

haha, it might get to that yet marra. We have been getting messed about big style on a few other jobs and we were left with no alternative but to start this thing despite the drawing yet to be complete. We will be off it tomorrow till next week so hopefully the drawing will be complete by then.:wondering:

We've just finished a 16' x 16' birdcage, fully boarded every lift and 14 lifts all off band and plate using Excalibur bolts think we put about 20 bolts total in the base.

Single hole I suppose? What was the spacing between the fixings?

yet again the wee outfit in deepest darkest Argyle has set up a cracking technical debate on the rights and wrongs of scaffolding
there are big firms in big citys and towns that don't ever get the kind of complex jobs that AOM Scaffolding does.You are a stalwart of this site and the input through the companys contracts are genuinely interesting not only to me but obviously to a ;lot of the other members.;)

WHATS HAPPENING WITH THE SCAFFTAGGING DEAL PAALL:eek:
Allan in Dubai always an education

[/COLOR]
I'd be more worried about the brickwork - this will fail in bearing far before the B&P fixing or anchors fail.

Need to be careful with pull-out results also. These only test the shear strength of the material as the tripod legs are so close to the anchor itself - they won't tell you if you are going to pull the wall panel off!

Had a similar thread this time last week about local and global testing.
We test the anchor not the structure.

I have yet to find a fitting that makes me more happy to use than the Band & Plate, great fitting for so many applications.
regards
Alan

Last edited:
Single hole I suppose? What was the spacing between the fixings?

Roughly 6' centers, the light well we was doing was full of pipe work so some were closer together and others were further apart. Fixings holding the down wait looked fine, if anything was more worried about the 16' beams going from wall the wall.

yet again the wee outfit in deepest darkest Argyle has set up a cracking technical debate on the rights and wrongs of scaffolding
there are big firms in big citys and towns that don't ever get the kind of complex jobs that AOM Scaffolding does.You are a stalwart of this site and the input through the companys contracts are genuinely interesting not only to me but obviously to a ;lot of the other members.;)

WHATS HAPPENING WITH THE SCAFFTAGGING DEAL PAALL:eek:
Allan in Dubai always an education

Thanks happy, just thinking out loud really. You don't need to be on the big stuff to get the tricky stuff.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Roughly 6' centers, the light well we was doing was full of pipe work so some were closer together and others were further apart. Fixings holding the down wait looked fine, if anything was more worried about the 16' beams going from wall the wall.

That is heavy duty, looks like we are 2m centres.

Top Bottom