This is my view of the people who control our industry

We done a lift shaft for a fairly big contractor , done it exactly to the lift companys drawing
got a call the next day that the scaffold was no good and the lift engineers have left site ,
when we got there the site agent said the butts in the corners where in the way and could we take them all out , told him no to be so stupid as they where holding the 60 foot tower from falling over he insisted that was what the lift guys needed so called the contractors safety officer who agreed with them , we charged them 2 men 4 hours to take the butts out , whole fuc*ing thing was rocking all over the place then i refused to tag it as it wasn't safe , caused a lot of arguments but the lift guys used it anyway

This post brings the word Competence to the fore, was the drawing fit for intended job purpose & to include Butts / Ties ?

Should a competent Scaff have removed Butts /Ties knowing fine well structure was not 100% in accordance with drawing or safe for use??

And worst of all, should knumpty contractors be putting men to work on untagged scaffolds, that in the words of the poster was going to fall over?

Competence is word that is often referenced, easy to spell, but seldomly demonstrated!

Was'nt me i slipped on some discharged mud/effulent on the clean away site in july 05 and as i said before if it was'nt for the help i recieved of Bootel's Health & Safety Executive, Sal*mi* would have covered the whole incident up, they even had the cheack to state that i had resiged the day before and should not have even been put to work on site that day. Took years to resovle but finally with the backing from Unite, would'nt say i won, but at least they admitted Liability even if it did take 4 years.

Safety men seem to be taking alot of flack in this post , as you are all probably aware lots of scaffs are taking or wanting to get Health & Safety Quals (Nebosh Construction & General certs) and until you do & get a job in H&S and see things from the poacher turned gamekeeper prospective (Scaff 16 years ex 3 years Safety ex) its a difficult transition to undertake (cos us scaffs often lack management andd diplomasy skills), however the more scaffs willing to follow this route can only benifit the construction & work @ heights industry in the long run.

So stop moaning and start studying, if you really want to make a positive difference.

and so is moanalot its a forum dave get over it we all agree on some issues and some we dont thats what makes it a forum good job people dont all speak there minds were be in court every week just cause people say something you dont agree with dosent mean your being picked out its a forum
mate some things we agree and somethings we dont

I have erected more lift shaft scaffolds then i care to remember and have yet to do one without butts in the corners the drawings are standard with usually just the dimensions from the walls different.
We where told to do this by the contractors director and their Safety guy even after me arguing with them for an hour and telling them it was not safe , more to prove a point then anything else i removed the butts and i was absolutely gob smacked when the lift guys got on it .
By the way this is the same companys safety guy that told me to remove a treader plate in an earlier post.
I have been scaffolding for 31 years and iam extremely competent with regards scaffolding
and in them 31 years i have seen so many times where health and safety are put second to money , i have seen safety officers forced to turn a blind eye because of cost implications to the main contractors it is a lo of what suits you sir

I have erected more lift shaft scaffolds then i care to remember and have yet to do one without butts in the corners the drawings are standard with usually just the dimensions from the walls different.
We where told to do this by the contractors director and their Safety guy even after me arguing with them for an hour and telling them it was not safe , more to prove a point then anything else i removed the butts and i was absolutely gob smacked when the lift guys got on it .
By the way this is the same companys safety guy that told me to remove a treader plate in an earlier post.
I have been scaffolding for 31 years and iam extremely competent with regards scaffolding
and in them 31 years i have seen so many times where health and safety are put second to money , i have seen safety officers forced to turn a blind eye because of cost implications to the main contractors it is a lo of what suits you sir

couldn/t agree more with this as i have been offshore where safety has affected a shutdown coming back online and night work has taken place and next thing we are up and running. If this sort of thing happened in the run of a mill day then the whole management team would have been sacked.

Got to agree with you there Phill, had it in the neck off construction managers and own company for slowing / stopping and even questioning unsafe jobs / work tasks. When as we all know time and money is king.

lol, must amidt major poacher turned gamekeeper,on the spanner i was the most militant, argumentitive,you can`t tell me nothing sort of scaff,on the management side of things, i see things that aint right in what we do, so i do try to pull them up on whats not good practice and its like talking to a mirror of me 11 years ago, so i should start a new thread ...101 best excuses

Top Bottom