The Way Ahead

Scaffcon

The current Regime is based on Minimum Standards and if we could surpass the current Regime we are on the way forward---in house Training and Scaffold Procedures are already overtaking the CITB Curriculum. For example the Method Statement how to apply a Scaffold Coupler to a Scaffold Tube, on the face of it this may seem absurd, however, it is part of a Safe System of Work for a Trainee. ( see attached ).

On the job Training, Information and Supervision by seasoned Mentors may be part of the answer, with College time on a Day release basis i.e. Site time measured in hours and logged as with Day release time---in house Trade Tests and mock up Structures.

Joint Consultation within the Scaffolding Fraternity should deliver the answers.

Attachments

• Scaffolding Procedures.doc
    22.5 KB · Views: 12
The need to root out bad attitudes aswell, sometimes providing good training doesn't help when once out on site the scaffolder doesn't give a ****.

Dandaps

I agree, an attitude of self regulated professionalism is desirable both for personal development and Career path progression.

Gar...

The need to root out bad attitudes aswell, sometimes providing good training doesn't help when once out on site the scaffolder doesn't give a ****.

TBF Dan that's something the more experienced scaffs could do. Sometimes when these kids are treated with a wee bit of respect they respond better. Admittedly though, some are just after a wage packet and aren't interested in learning.

You can usally spot a decent lad when he ask questions and wants to learn, if I get a lad who shows he wants to be in the trade I will try to teach him, if I have a lad who's on the phone every 5mins, asking when are we going home, then I leave him by the wayside and he just gets the usual pass me this pass me that till he's jacked.

Dandaps

Your right you can tell the lads that want to learn.

As a boss though, you said you just leave the waster by the wayside until he's jacked. What if he doesnt and then gets on the spanners hes gonna be one of the **** ones whos dragging the rest of us down.

PS i dont mean this as you in particular i just mean that this is happening at most firms around the country.

I would'nt even wait for him to jack, I'd just give him the bus fare and tell him to fcuk off.

Dandaps

Your right you can tell the lads that want to learn.

As a boss though, you said you just leave the waster by the wayside until he's jacked. What if he doesnt and then gets on the spanners hes gonna be one of the **** ones whos dragging the rest of us down.

PS i dont mean this as you in particular i just mean that this is happening at most firms around the country.

Cheers Tom I know what your saying.
Can't speak for other firms but for me he wouldn't get of the ground I would simply leave him earning a labourers wage with the next lad who shows a bit of intiative getting priority.

Now that the CITB and CSCS have fallen out, what is the best road forward for our trade?
My own thoughts are that we need proper training. I'm getting pretty sick of seeing kids coming through are totally clueless yet hold basic/advanced cards courtesy of the piss poor training on offer. We've all seen the training facilities where 'instructors' basically do next to nothing except hand out paperwork and give out the answers to any test papers. I've seen guys pass their Part 2 and advanced when it's blatantly obvious they are hopeless. This has to stop. We need the training program to be longer and more thorough.
Too many no users pass their 'assessments' by hiding/labouring in a gang who actually know what their doing. We really have to be more strict so the quality improves.

What are your thoughts?
Don't confuse the Donkeys that run our industry with people who care...They just want our money...nothing else..

Top Bottom