The scaff hamper

From one Old Scaff to another Old Scaff, great post and pic, perhaps a get out of jail card would come in handy PMSL :nuts:...

OLD SCAFF i am becoming a dab hand at this computer lark and will work on the videos of MR WABASH and his glasgow scaffolders backing group;)

That's very nice of ya mate a few of the older gentlemen bark at ya if u ask em today nice one

Here's one for ya then only the other day I was trying to think of the proper name for it, but here we go..... Right when I was in sgb yard kings cross 10 years ago they had a museum piece in there (well that's what I called it lol) it's a huge beam think 35ft it looks like a unit beam with a pointed end it was use back in the 60/70s for truss outs temporary roofs (again I think) what were they called??? I only remember them be cause I couldn't pick one up and there was an old boy called John McGowan that was a legend because of his strength in the 70s that COULD!!!!!

They came in two sizes 35' and 22' and to my knowledge they were just called truss beams. I have carried them in the 60's (two handed) and they were fu- k -ng heavy. Luckily someone invented the 12' & 8' unit beams and made these obsolete. The stocks were generally used to form roofs over fitting/tube racks by SGB around the country.
Sorry about the delay in replying due to a BBQ in our street going on well into Sunday night.

Boat Beams.
I used them in the rack we built in D&R's Yard in Basildon, last year.

VERY heavy.
Dont fancy using them again, lol.

Cheers boys for answers honestly bugged me for years

BBQ In your street binthere!!! If that happened in our street there would be no pork, no alcohol and the fire brigade would get a call out for the smoke!!!!!!

there used to be an OLD photo in SGBs yard in Aberdeen of a job in Glasgow where 20 lifts were built off an H beam thrown across 2 independants before the FISH BELLY BEAMS,Unit or Ladder Beams came into being

can you imagine the hasslew that would cause today with CDMs etc;)

Cheers boys for answers honestly bugged me for years

BBQ In your street binthere!!! If that happened in our street there would be no pork, no alcohol and the fire brigade would get a call out for the smoke!!!!!!

Yes a street barbie' mostly people in their 30's with young ones, lots of food, drink and good friendship, We chose well when we decided to move here and retire.

Top Bottom