The Great Apprenticeship Scandal.

Just hang on here lads and before you shoot me down, I understand what AOM is saying but without schemes like these you would have kids going out robbing, hanging around the local park getting bladdered on all sorts of cocktails and whatever else they will be doing. The stats are not very good on youth unemployment so it is a way forward.
I had 3 young lads at M&S the oldest 1 who is now 19 has turned out be become a great young scaffolder and he is earning £400 - £550 a week for not breaking sweat. He did his training at Simian and I spoke with him a few weeks ago. He is now looking at furthering his career into the offshore route.
He started off on £108 a week top note. I dont set these rates the goverment does. There are plus points as well as negitive points on every subject but the main issue is this country working its self out of this mess because nobody will do it for them. This isnt aimed at any arguement im just looking at the subject from both aspects.

theres a few on the cisrs commitee not breaking a sweat watching the ecitb lads going back through trainning part 1 idiots!! that have done there time and yes looks like theve got away with it shame the ccncg owned by ecitb still has the database for the passport to safety courses still going:laugh: or your cry what a crap country we live in the rich get richer and the poor get poorer:mad:

The scandal I was watching was more to do with training companies taking on these so called apprentices with no employer on the horizon. The 3 year training scheme is then condensed in to 26 weeks of so called training but as I said a ratio of 240 apprentices to 3 trainers is hardly going to equip them for the working world. The training companies claim back the government grant of 9k per man and all we get for that is another 240 young people with little or no chance of getting a job. One company had a contract worth 45 million a year of tax payers cash. When the verifiers realised what was happening they refused to sign off their portfolio's but the people higher up the food chain just began forging the documentation to keep the scam going. I would have thought that all craft apprentices would have had to have an employer's undertaking that he would supply the experience before the training companies would get near them to offer the training.

Your right Phil, treating apprentices like slave labour is also a scandal. I would have thought we had left these days long behind us but obviously not. I know they get paid off on the Thursday when their time is out but they always should be re-hired under a new contract on the Monday as tradesmen. Good luck with sorting that lot out, will be interesting to hear the outcome.

Been there done that plumbed for 4 years 18 mounth for nothing to get my nvq and then 18 mounth or so for 150 a week still never got a sniff of an nvq and i will not be shafted again and god helkp them if they try i does sicken you just seen my bro do ti after i told him not to but forght a losing battle agains the me old man pushing him down that route and 232 year at college and working behind a bar . And to be honest theres loadz apprentice shemces round here but sellafeild if by far the most the best and truth full being gen11 i know no one that has been threw gen 11 that hasnt had a placemnt when finishing there time there paid good to my other bros on 1200 a mounth and in his 2nd year of welding with anouall bonuses, city and guilds is the probblem yopu dont seem to see it insczffolding you work hard you work up the ladder with out a dout at some point but city and guilds is the problem fetch back citb

theres a few on the cisrs commitee not breaking a sweat watching the ecitb lads going back through trainning part 1 idiots!! that have done there time and yes looks like theve got away with it shame the ccncg owned by ecitb still has the database for the passport to safety courses still going:laugh: or your cry what a crap country we live in the rich get richer and the poor get poorer:mad:

Dico mate I'm not after any arguement but the work at height regs 2005 stated trained and competent. There was no training done within the ecitb. The new working at height regs 2013 will read trained and qualified. Yes I know of quite a few lads who are so excellent scaffolders but a prime example is that 1 of these recently had to do his part 1 under cisrs and had to take his test 4 times. Practical was excellent but the theory was shocking to be honest. The only way forward is continuous training.
You can sometimes lead a horse to water but you carnt make it drink it springs to mind.As a major person within the industry was quoted saying they never grumbled when they were earning a grand a week but what did they do to continue there process of learning when its tax deductible is beyond me left me completely go smacked because that person was 100% correct. Under IOSH I have to sign a statement that I will continue my CPD and I do at my cost, I wish I could say I was a professor but I'm the 1st to say a day without learning something new is a day wasted.
It is the way to go unfortunately CPD for everyone must work for the better of the industry. Get an invoice and put it against your tax bill. Don't be left on the shelve. I'm saying this as a scaffolder mate not from a training point of Veiw.

Am said thgat a few mounths ago refreshers 1/2 just to bring you up to spec on new reg yeah its great if ya with the big nasc boys and sutch but if ya working gfor street firms and its all about porofit not training then we only find out about new reg when yan of the lads does ither part 1 2 or advanced so maby 1 eveyr 4 5 years ad say work with lads that say swivel isnt load baring and sways every 100 ft dont get me rong still great scaffs but just need up dated touchscreen and 2 day refreshers be great

Apprentice Vacancies | *RUSH Hair

This the lot my daughter worked for , cost her £100 a month in fares to earn £20 a day , she got up every morning at 6am to get ready and was never home before 8pm , and even when we buried my Niece last year she was told she had to come in after the funeral or be disciplined , took my wife hours to stop me landing down at the shop and showing the manager how us scaffolders deal with discipline .
Is it any wonder young people dont want to work when they get treated like that,
i got her answering the phone for £40 a day now just till she gets sorted

F**king disgraceful, human scum!!

steve i have no problem with you mate just the system!!!! iam 4 years away from 50 and like to think ive been taught the right way it just grips my shi!e when you get lads 21 years of age doing there advanced!!!! to be honnest doing my part 1 fooked my head in!!!! you know the gezzer but i wont mention hes name he was a great instructor but the course is fooking shi! we were on the adult rip off course but!!! i take my hat off any instructor that has to teach any lads from scratch has hes day taken up

I'm just glad i'm not a young un starting out,all this training is a feckin nightmare,nowadays it seems getting a scaff card is only the start,you need a cert in this that and the feckin other,and all in date ffs,beam me up scotty:wondering:

if your confident and been doing it 25 years or more dont go on your part 1 unless you can lift your head in pride!!! lets be honnest its full of little spottie gits playing pool in between courses!!! that are young and full of bu!! unless theve been taught properly by there father who scaffolded!!!! the systems and course is cra! but it makes the shareholders very very rich!!! even thou they cant scaffold at the end of the course but hee hoo its england any thing goes!!! hats off to the instructors coz they know the system!!! but there hands are tied shouldnt have to have a drink to show people what it is!!!!

steve i have no problem with you mate just the system!!!! iam 4 years away from 50 and like to think ive been taught the right way it just grips my shi!e when you get lads 21 years of age doing there advanced!!!! to be honnest doing my part 1 fooked my head in!!!! you know the gezzer but i wont mention hes name he was a great instructor but the course is fooking shi! we were on the adult rip off course but!!! i take my hat off any instructor that has to teach any lads from scratch has hes day taken up

Im about to put my neck on the line here but you all know my feelings I did my training via cisrs, some was welcomed and Jon Campbell is a great instructor. I honestly learnt to scaffold when I went industrial. Unfortunately every job we did must now be designed but on the other side this covers your arse. All we wanna do is do our job and go home to our normal lives without any any **** coming back to ourselves. If the terminology wants to run, let's better it, we are scaffolders FFS. It something makes you stop and think you must ask yourself the question WHY? Tube and fitting scaffolders from the uk are the best in the world and let's make it better. You may think that the people at the top are not listening but rest assured they are big style. My only goal within the scaffolding industry is I want to see the word great again. This is because we are. Now let's show everybody this and stop moaning. Proof is better than words.

steve everybody knows everbody in this game exspecially if youve been spinning the 17/16 spanner over the years!!! i just go to work the same as you and earn my crust good luck to the mosleys they must off seen a break through comeing!!! and theve got it!!!personally think scaffolding as had its day but as long as i get payed every week as a advanced scaffolder who cares if ive got a part 1 trainnee shi!! ticket!! after 25 years i really dont care!!!

Dico mate I'm not after any arguement but the work at height regs 2005 stated trained and competent. There was no training done within the ecitb. The new working at height regs 2013 will read trained and qualified. Yes I know of quite a few lads who are so excellent scaffolders but a prime example is that 1 of these recently had to do his part 1 under cisrs and had to take his test 4 times. Practical was excellent but the theory was shocking to be honest. The only way forward is continuous training.
You can sometimes lead a horse to water but you carnt make it drink it springs to mind.As a major person within the industry was quoted saying they never grumbled when they were earning a grand a week but what did they do to continue there process of learning when its tax deductible is beyond me left me completely go smacked because that person was 100% correct. Under IOSH I have to sign a statement that I will continue my CPD and I do at my cost, I wish I could say I was a professor but I'm the 1st to say a day without learning something new is a day wasted.
It is the way to go unfortunately CPD for everyone must work for the better of the industry. Get an invoice and put it against your tax bill. Don't be left on the shelve. I'm saying this as a scaffolder mate not from a training point of Veiw.

There was no training done on the assessed route, who's next ?????

no there wernte ian but 25 or 26 years with a valid ecitb ticket that was fine and the client woz happy what woz the problem!!! perhaps a 2 or 3 day on site have a little look wouldnt have gone a miss!!! your starting to sound like that simian lot!!!

no there wernte ian but 25 or 26 years with a valid ecitb ticket that was fine and the client woz happy what woz the problem!!! perhaps a 2 or 3 day on site have a little look wouldnt have gone a miss!!! your starting to sound like that simian lot!!!

What do you mean Dico I'm backing you here :eek:

sorry ian the screens going blureeee!!!! sorry gezzer you read things wrong when youve had thatchers!!!stella!!! and fosters= only drinking fosters coz ive run out off stella and thatchers!!!! your one of the good guys ian no offence taken mate!!!

You carnt change law, I wish I could but I carnt. CPD bud either go for it or don't , I have advised.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Actually simian try there upmost to fight everything for you lot. I have ripped them to bits in the past but they are only trying to work with in the law. My apologies simian.

I love a happy ending.:love:

We are all in the same corner and all with the same objective just looking at it from different angles.

Comes back to my earlier post,qualifications from short courses. Some people forgetting the years put in to get that skill, by such as Dico,TAnimal.
Is there any courses in other trades where they give you a qualified ticket after 1 week?? Straight off the street,no experience or clue.
None that I can think of.

You wolud be suprised fred joinery plumbing bricklaying any thing to do with city and guilds you can for 2 2 week blocks ad a college near you for 4 grand a shot lol but only gets you the city and guild and for another 4 grand you can get ya nvq assed there to ill have a lok for them yall of seen them on the tell train to gain or some other tripe

Top Bottom