that will be alright!

Which firm done the work I know a big London firm had a lot of the work on there,wont say who, rumours and all that but i wonder if its them?

do you not think that 40/50 ton of scaffold attached to the gantry with a wind load of triple the normal calculation for the gantry had something to do with it.

I'm no engineer Steveo but I would guess the 40-50 ton would be the sole reason for it regardless of 45mph winds, just a scaffs opinion mind. Another reason why I reckoned the works engineer would be for the high jump and not the scaffs as he would be the one to tell them if the bridge could safely withstand the self weight of the scaffold and any load placed upon it.

Morning Guys
As a couple of you have already spotted it would appear to be the existing steel span bridge that has failed taking the scaffold with it.
I would guess this to be an MOD job and without doubt they will have insisted upon a design and that will have gone through numerous checks and cross checks.

When the original steel span unit was designed it will have been designed for self wt + public imposed load. It is unlikley to have been designed for an imposed load from scaffolding as well.

When designing this scaffold the considerations would have been, Self wt. + imposed loads from wind and working. When checking the supporting structure which is not within the Scaffold Engineers remit the considerations would have been the reactions shown by the Scaffold Engineer + the Bridge self wt. + the Imposed load from the public.

The scaffold would appear to be intact but from the BBC pictures one side of the steel span would appear to be in the water and the other still on the Belfast.

I would anticipate there to be some movement in and out and up and down from tidal flow this may be a factor.

If I was a betting man I would be looking at the steel support structure not the scaffold

Last edited:
Top Bottom