TFL Designers Competency Assessment

TG6

Reaction score
Has anyone here taken this test and achieved competency?
Is 100% a reasonable pass mark?

Errr??????....nope and dont know, if its not a nasc course then i aint bothered.....lol

Joking apart.....what is it?.

It looks like a check list for use by interviewers when employing bridge engineers but it is being used to decide whether scaffold designers are competent to work on tfl contracts.
There is a section of questions about CDM which requires 100% mark on otherwise it is an automatic fail.

Strangely I got the CDM questions right but had one other thing that was also an automatic fail. On this basis it seems like I am not competent by their standards so I wondered whether anyone else had the same problem.
Apart from the one for which I was tested, I am currently working on several LUL jobs that are going ahead over Christmas and I'm wondering when to tell them that their designs aren't valid - Christmas Eve at about 2pm seems a good time to me. :))

Ide like to be a fly on the wall. As you're not competent to tell them their jobs are'nt valid. 2pm!! perfect timing.:D

Did that test last year - passed but got pulled for my CV because it was a company CV and not my personal CV - didn't think they'd be interested in my stint at Starbucks.

Not really worth the paper its written on - still do the same jobs and nobody ever checks if I am on it.

Bit of a shame that IDH. It would be nice to know who is and who isn't considered competent when choosing a designer. You need a card to build the stuff, what do you need over and above the normal structural qualifications to design it?

Nothing unfortunately. No rules, regs or tests. If anyone is bothered they can apply the competency test "mixture of experience & qualifications" but your interpretation will be different to mine and so on.

Clearly large firms who employ direct will have QC in place and individuals generally go through a training programme to varying degrees - so it is the company who are competent. The trouble is anyone can set themselves up as a 'designer' and away they go. Only need to look on here to see that!

Oh, that does surprise me and is going to make Fridays site meeting a bit awkward. Site meeting, design and build a support job for an old ruined monument. I'll get a design done, but it's going to cost you before we strike a blow. Client, don't bother, we have an engineer here who has never designed a job in their life but will soon tell you what to do.:eek:

I will need to think about this one.

And that is where the problems start. The client nowadays will either have his own temporary works department or will employ a structural engineer so that he can fulfill what he understands to be his responsibilities. If you let them design it, you will get something that is totally unbuildable. If you get the design done, they will spend forever picking it apart when they check it.

I am watching a major contractor based in Surrey who is now three weeks into an almost daily exchange of e-mails about a scaffold to a 3 storey building with no sign of agreement on the design. As the scaffold is Cuplock with no special loadings, I am guessing that the profit from the job has long since gone, the programme has been shot to pieces and the site staff think that the scaffold contractor is useless.

Compared with a demo job last year which ended with every tube being itemised for length, every coupler (including sleeves) drawn, and every stage of striking drawn, this one is a piece of cake though.

I will keep all this in mind for my meeting tomorrow to see what their suggestions are. If the guy can't spell tg20 they can get someone else to erect it.

Top Bottom