Temporary roof

goulda

Reaction score
the firm I work for are doing a temporary roof in a few weeks, the first we have done for several years

whats the norm for fixing the metal sheets, spoke to a scaff my way and he says his firm lays boards on the beams and nails the sheets using a nail gun with pvc headed nails

what do your firm do.

you need to invest in some box profile sheeting mate,do your beamwork in the same way,just lay boards down on your roof and screw your sheets to those.totally watertight and you can use them over and over again.

Used to be a fitting we called a crinkly that fixed to the purlins and the sheets overlapped eachother. All held in place by a tube in a half coupling on the top. These replaced the J bolt down south about 20 years ago.

Must be 20 years since i used tin sheets hence my out of date answer LOL

Crinklys all the way,every 2/3 sheets dependant on the location.Sod the nail gun went out years ago,and if you havnt done one in years cant see your firm investing in a system roof.

Use J bolts to fasten to the pearlings below

'J' bolts...??? Didnt they stop using those poxxy awful things back in 1984??? :eek:

Wriggly's all the way. :)

Medium_44.jpg

The above fitting to the untrained eye.

Took j bolts nasty things , use shrinkwap or system

wrigglies / crinklies all the way for me , we probably do around 10 - 12 tin lids a year and not had any problems whatsoever in last 12 or so years since converting to crinklies , used to nail the tin to boards before and always was a pain in the arse using tin peppered with nail holes :mad: . Have now got tin sheets in the yard in excess of 10 years old that get used regularly and still look like new ..... also very quick to lay a roof down with the crinklies :) .

I have done T/roofs all my scaffolding life ( longer then i care to remember) and have used J.bolts ( pain in the backside) , then there was the the sheeting clips that tied the sheets top and bottom ( slightly better then J.bolts)
but Crinkles are the best by a mile 2 good lads can lay 300 tins in a day with crinkles. we do anything from 20 roofs a year and a small roof say 60 tins can be tinned in a few hours, we have been trying the shrink wrap plastic which does make a nice roof but needs the right weather to erect and lots of practice to master, so we still use tins as well , as the lads know where they stand with them and at the moment can lay them faster then a shrunk plastic roof :)

Did you get them to come and show you how to shrinkwrap Phil?

i found with them crinkles or whatever you want to call them that if the tube your fixing them too isnt perfectly straight they dont work . i know yous will say jusy put them straight but when your climbing about a roof in hurry it doesnt always happen that way

Make sure your first purlin is straight Allan the just use 2 bits of batten 42 inchs long and gauge the rest of the purlins and they will all be straight and your fittings will go on easy ;)

we do alot of roofs aswell, god i miss being under the sheets when they were drilling through just missing me head, then scream at you because you are not that fast climbing through the beams with a sack full of j bolts, with them on top with there speed spanners lol. does any one remember the fitting that use to twist think they were called buttery fly clips they were faded out by the j bolt.

anyway you can't beat a good wriggle fitting, make sure your boss has a drawing for your roof!!!! like all of us on here, not that we can't put a roof up with out drawings, it is just a must to cover yourself

wrigles/crinkles all the time for me. Make up a pinch rod, and away you go.

Your spot on Bri... use what the design drawing says on method, if it doesn't say on the drawing ask the designer what method he as used, or haven't you got one :blink: :unsure:

thanks for all the replies we are going to use crinkles, I assume you fix to every sheet top at bottom and run a tube through the tops. we have to put a triple hand rail (specified on design) on top of the roof is this the norm

sheets are 8' by 2' with beams at 6' centes - area approx 36' by 30'

Top Bottom