Technical Guidance on The correct tying of ladders.

TG20:13 has banned ladders in scaffolds.

ALL scaffolds will now have to have an external staircase.

It also states that monarflex must be fixed to ALL scaffolds regardless of location, height or usage.

Fittings will also have to be tethered from 2014, meaning all current fittings will have to be replaced.

It actually said you must try to fit a stair way in if there is no way to get stair way in then you can use a ladder with ladder permit system.

It actually said you must try to fit a stair way in if there is no way to get stair way in then you can use a ladder with ladder permit system.

Did you write TG20:13 then John?

Because it hasn't been released yet!

It also states that monarflex must be fixed to ALL scaffolds regardless of location, height or usage.

Fittings will also have to be tethered from 2014, meaning all current fittings will have to be replaced.

I have had a tip off that it was supposed to be debris netting but apparently some of the NASC are going to the brazil world cup courtesy of you know who so they changed it to the plasticy stuff. If the shrink wrap merchants were more on the ball it could have been that and the modern scaff would have a gas gun and an impact wrench on the tool belt.

So when is the 65.7mm tube coming into TG?

The fitting manufacturer's asked if we wanted tethered or the new 65.7mm as they are not making tethered 65.7mm fittings until later in the year once they have set up all the new tooling.

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

23mm instead of 21mm too.

I have had a tip off that it was supposed to be debris netting but apparently some of the NASC are going to the brazil world cup courtesy of you know who so they changed it to the plasticy stuff. If the shrink wrap merchants were more on the ball it could have been that and the modern scaff would have a gas gun and an impact wrench on the tool belt.

The gemme's f@cked

The price of scrap will go down when all the 50mm tube gets weighed in.

The price of scrap will go down when all the 50mm tube gets weighed in.

Exactly. Someone from the HSE told me they were going to have a crack down on 50mm tube and timber scaffold boards this summer.

What are your firm intending to replace their fittings with?

We are looking at 784 tension clamps and jubilee replacement wedges, but no final decision has been made.

Exactly. Someone from the HSE told me they were going to have a crack down on 50mm tube and timber scaffold boards this summer.

We are looking at 784 tension clamps and jubilee replacement wedges, but no final decision has been made.

That may be ok for the small firms but when I was in Thailand looking for work the other week I saw representatives from the top 5 scaffolding contractors in a top Bangkok hotel meeting with some bamboo plantation owners. Apparently they are going to dump the NASC and go back to basics.

How will your firm compete with that?

We looked at both the 784 tension clamps and the jubilee replacement wedges but after many discussions with an external fitting advisor we settled on the tie gun wrap system with an almost unbelievable 23.7kn slip resistance.

Attachments

• tie gun.jpg
    tie gun.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 16
Can somebody tell me what the legal requirement is with regards to tying ladders or what the NASC TG states?

Can you legally tie a ladder with clips or do you have to use lashing?
You can use wraps on the ladders with thin styles so the wraps go around the style and are not just "pinching" the two sides of it. Square lashing is still good and so are propper ladder clips for the correct ladder type. Blue tak and Tampon thread is not used a lot these days.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

On the same grounds as all scaffolding companies not called Lyndons will have to shut shop ? and all scaffolders who live in the North east that are called "Geordie" are to be banned from scaffolding for ever ?

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

or welding

Fredrick has got round these obstacles by welding the top of the ladder to a stop-end and concreting the base of the ladder up to the 3rd rung.

Top Bottom