Technical Guidance on The correct tying of ladders.

VancouverLeedsLondonBoy

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me what the legal requirement is with regards to tying ladders or what the NASC TG states?

Can you legally tie a ladder with clips or do you have to use lashing?

I always thought it was lashing or proprietary ladder clamps, clips would be considered poor practice, although if hey went fully around the stiles and were secure you usually get away with it. If the just pinched that's no good as it spreads the stiles.

Yeah I have b0llocked a few lads for just pinching the clips on the side of ladders on a few of my jobs. Fully wrapped around the styles is what I am talking about Bri.

I think it would always be commented on by an inspector but if its secure I don't see the problem really.

Its all we do VLLB and never had a pull yet , we just use a clip around the stile to the transom and a butt from the handrail , you still see ***** clips used sometimes which aint good as they can work loose

Use to use 4 singles (two singles on the shorter metal ladders)or 2 fannys, told this was unacceptable by simian on an indapendant inspection and had to be secured twice with lashing

18 foot of lashing for me, never looked to see if their is a sg note on it but always hated clips.

Square lashed. I've Used singles before on the thin Ladders they wrap around but it pisses me off when c&nts can't tie a ladder. I've seen guys that have been doing it for years that still can't do it right.

Can somebody tell me what the legal requirement is with regards to tying ladders or what the NASC TG states?

Can you legally tie a ladder with clips or do you have to use lashing?

You want to look at NASC SG25-10 'Access & Egress From Scaffolds'

Item 5.6 - 'Securing Ladders'

Square lashed for me but when i was working for GKN (Interserve) the practice was to use Dogs which they still use to this day.

A single is not considered a tie for a ladder it is a fitting for tubes although I use them to tie ladders if I know its going out for inspection I would use the correct equipment such as rope lashings

Been a few previous threads on this b4....& am sure i'm gonna get slated again like last time ....but for several years now we have been using the short 12"quick release tie of the type these use to lash safteydeck 2gether with...we've never been picked up from any MC or independant SO.quick & easy & secure...but i did buy some flat end fanny clips which worked out really good.but have also noticed that the nrw ladders that we're getting from gens are a lot narrower & allow a full rap using a normal clip.
Hope this helps

dont like it when i see jobs with the ladder on the outside of the scaffold with no handrail up it for the person to use while climbing the ladder..

the scaffold will be safe , and the ladder the only place where an accident could occur , theres always some fool carrying a drill or toolbag who will fall off , but if a handrail is on the ladder it makes it so much safer..

SG25: 10
5.6 Securing Ladders
It is critical that ladders are properly secured to prevent accidental movement. On many construction sites it
can be seen that ladders are tied using a variety of devices ranging from purpose made brackets, ratchet
(cable) ties of suitable strength and size, which have been approved and tested, to other methods such as
plastic strapping, rope or, scaffold fittings etc. The selected method should ensure that the ladder is safely and
securely fixed to the scaffold structure and there is no lateral movement of the ladder.

When the correct device has been selected it is also important to ensure that it is applied and fixed correctly.
The method of tying should ensure that both stiles are adequately fixed to the ladder support.
The ladder must be tied to a suitable anchor point, making sure that both stiles are tied.

Where this is not practicable, ensure the stability of the ladder is supplemented by an effective ladder stability
device or the ladder is footed. Footing should be avoided if possible but can be considered as a last resort.

Top Bottom