Tacho??

Luce2120

Reaction score
Can anybody help me with the rules on using a tacho?

I was just reading on the dvsa gov.uk website on the list of vehicles that are exempt from the eu rules:-

vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of 7.5 tonnes or less that are used for carrying work equipment for the driver will not need to comply with eu rules and therefore come under GB domestic rules meaning there is no need for the use of a tachometer.

I am right in thinking then that 7.5t scaffold trucks do not need a tacho then?

No, you're wrong. They do. Horse boxes, gritting lorries and some others I can't remember are exempt. Could've confused that with the operators licence though I don't think you're ever going to get an instance when a 7.5 truck is tachometer exempt.

Last edited:
The only time u dont need them is if your working within 20 miles of your operating base (check distance) but if your stopped you still need to prove you havebt travelled more also if your lorry has a tacho fitted then it must be in date

Hi Luce
It’s a fecking grey minefield this one, as SP says, if your travel distance is within 50KM of your operating base you don’t need to use a tacho, but you do still need to prove somehow that you haven’t been driving/working excessive hours
Also if your truck has the new digi tachos, you will need more cards to add to your ever growing collection!, and if you are just driving then you will also need CPC training ££££££ get a horse & cart:idea:

You have to operate under a restricted licence as you're not using the vehicle for hire and reward just for moving your own materials. You do still have to use the tacho though. You need the driver to have his card (if digital tacho), turn on the ignition, insert the card before moving the vehicle, follow instructions and as he stop starts through the day it will record these periods. The stops will be classed as other work as your driver is basically a scaffolder who happens to drive not a full time driver, that's why you can get away with the less complicated restricted licence. Unfortunately you will have to look it up on the VOSA website cos I can't explain it all on here.

just a couple of things, vosa man told me that they are going to pull every scaffold lorry to check drivers cpc, he said that we will not get away with carrying own materials as if you have someone with you, your carrying their materials and if say your going back to get more gear then, your carrying it on behalf of the company hence your now a driver. Also make sure you don't have too many tacos in the truck, scaffolder on cpc course was fined £900 ish for having 93 in the cab,
Ive emailed Vosa 4 times over the last week but still no reply.

Your only surposed to carry the previous 4 days tacho in the cab -i dunno why & personally think its no problem but was told off by vosa last time . As for the cpc it clearly states in the RHA handbook that we dont need it which was confirmed to me via the same bloke that told me off about the tachos. In fact the 3 times we've been pulled we've never even been asked about it-but thats not to say your not gonna get a jobsworth with his own interpretation of the law & tbh its no use getting leary with em or theyll just impound ur truck

Don't need cpc until Sept 13/14this year. Its a black area as I was told by vosa that I will need to get one and other are told they don't. we will see in sept when the scaffolder start getting pulled over.

The instructor on my CPC course said it was 62 miles from base when a tacho is needed and if you are driving only and not erecting or striking!
Plus keep a log of everyday driving to show why you didn't need a tacho in on certain days as proof!

Best thing is digi card mate easy vosa are **** hot now a day on scaffold wagons we got to get a vosa chap in every Thursday who checks are cards make sure you switch it over when your having break fast and dinner always strap the lorry down and now on every lorry we have tail boards

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

**** is ment to be vosa

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

And been told scaffolders don't needs to do cpc

Top Bottom