T.K Palmers

superscaff75

Reaction score
does anyone know anything or heard anything about a company called T.K Palmers,

passed a building site yesterday , the scaffold is painted the same colour as Palmers always used to be, and i noticed all the boards have T.K Palmers branded onto them

so im thinking surely thyssen krupp palmers arnt doing building sites surely it was a barratts site :weird:

thessonkrupp palmers its the old palmers group hope that helps you

Palmers was an independant scaffolding company when I worked for them as a supervisor in the mid 80s I think

We all went to croyden from all over the UK to celebrate it's 100 year in business, with a big party over a week-end,dinner dance free bar hotel accomadation the lot paid for by Palmers

i worked on the development research agency complex in farnborough when it was getting built by shepherd construction, palmers were doing the scaffold on there around 1995 -96 not sure ( cant remember last wk never mind last decade :wondering: ) they were shipping scaffold in from every depot in england , buying loads of new kit, the job was a huge site on old airfield next to where the air show is held now , there were numerous big buildings on it, 12 tower cranes.

each building was scaffolded perimeter and in some cases had a middle quadrangle type area,I think there was 4 mile of scaffold in total ranging from 5 lifts boarded upto 12 lifts fully boarded, all this was fully erected before the striking started properly,

any lads on here that worked on this project might be able to tell the job better, i wasnt scaffolding on the site i was cladding on it.

the palmers gaffer looked and talked ruff as fcuk, looked like an old schooler hard drinking hard working type chap, one of the scaffs chinned him in the canteen, there was 2500 workers on site the canteen had 3 brekkie sitting, 3 dinner sitting .

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

found this dated november 2010

The North East Projects team, previously specialized on industrial work, has over the past few months successfully won new customers in the field of Construction and Housing. Our customer Barratt Homes has now acknowledged the high competence of the team with their “Pride in the Job Award”. This confirms that ThyssenKrupp Palmers can add value to the construction activities in the region

surely this proves the economy is still crap if a giant like palmers a company that barely has any roots at all in the north east, except in ICI because it totally moved out the north east 10 yr ago, for them to be lookin to take on house building projects must mean things are bad elsewhere

thyssen krupp palmers , same firm bigger name

tk palmers got the other side of the forth rail bridge from sgb,also the tay road bridge waverly station edinburgh.they are multi disiplined company ie lagging shot paint scaff,they take on any work wether it be street site petrochem.

few of my lads are ex palmers , and said all went wrong when the germans brought them and closed charlton

im not knocking the company, just saying things must be hard if they chasing work like barratts , they had no interest in that type of work for years.

Lot's of companies are now chasing work they wouldn't have considered a couple of years ago. There are a few outside companies in our area at the moment pricing work the locals would consider small potatoes. All this really achieves is pushing the price down and more and more will go to the wall as they take these job's on to try and keep their workforce working for next to zero profit unless they can squeeze the life out of the subbies they use.

That being said, we just have to stay as light as we can to keep competitive and get as much work as we can in our own area.

big one up round by that garage thats had scaffold on it last ten years manky boards and beams (shore job i think)

palmers

i worked for palmers manchester depot for 8 years in the eighties they were owened by the thomas tilling group but were bought out by btr (british tyre and rubber) they brought in consultants to evaluate the business . the result was a management buyout with backing from an investement company. in the buyout were selwood plant and croker mixers. croker was sold right away along with the manchester yard for a reputed 5 million they then sold palmers to thyssen krupp thus keeping the most profitable part(selwoods) the money from the sell offs meant they could pay off their backers. thus ending up with selwoods for f##k all. a quote in construction news at the time said they were glad to be rid of palmers because of the high level of union activity.as to barrets work afirm i know ditched them about 10 years ago, reckoned if everything went to plan on their biggest detatched house they only made £175.as it was in cuplok it didn't need many losses to wipe out any profit

Top Bottom