System Scaffold Challenge

Swifty,

Van Thiel, did that fitting a while back, you see them in the states and a bit in Holland.

Have spanners, most of the ring system in the uk comes with spigotted standards, this restricts the upright from taking a u head.

Any more ideas lads?

I know about the Van Thiel wedge fittings, I've used them and think they are crap.
I was thinking more along the lines of a fastening similar to the spring loaded coupler used when joining hoses from a water pump.
Why don't you just remove the spiggots 1st if using U heads?

safety glasses may foil your cunning plan hswt!

Working on some special safety glasses as well Celtic. I have had a great deal of interest in my plan from scaffolders in Middlesborough who have after all spent many years on site looking at scaffolding material in the hope that it puts itself up!!

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Swifty,

Van Thiel, did that fitting a while back, you see them in the states and a bit in Holland.

Have spanners, most of the ring system in the uk comes with spigotted standards, this restricts the upright from taking a u head.

Any more ideas lads?

Layher and cuplok have both standards with fixed spigots and without.

Swifty as have spanners said, Layher has 2 types of standards, the main one in g'mouth is with a crimped spigot, the other is open ended and you buy the spigot sperate.

Your fitting idea gives me an idea though, van thiel tube has a built in twist lock head, if that was a hollow section you could have a thinner shaft on your jack and the twist lock would cut out the need for a spigot?

I never liked those wedge fittings either.

HSWT
YOUR NEW FITTING IDEA PUTS A NEW SLANT(especially if made in China)ON THE OLD "EYE THAT IN FOR ME";)

Make Cuplock transoms to fit 6 board, 7 board, 8 board wide etc instead of 1.8m = 7 board + 8" gap and the 2.5m = 10 boards wide + 8" gap

Cuplok has its uses,

Takes a good knocking and has reasonable use in shoring, but still heavy to handle.

Suppose if your charging by the tonne it also has its uses!

Still it is a 4 point system, so not as adaptable as a ring or 8 point system.

Any more ideas on what you want to see in a system, the argument for tube is absolutely valid,

More flexible
Cheaper
More skill required to work with
More pride in the end product
Less ringing in your ear!
Less sore thumbs

Etc

Looking for a way forward coz whether we like it or not system is here to stay, why not make as proper as possible

The germans know f all about scaffolding, they only know manufacturing

We are always on about the crap from china, india etc, woe is us

Do something about it, beat them at their own game.

Come up with some ideas.

C
The germans know f all about scaffolding, they only know manufacturing
s.

gotta say , real german scaffolders will give any brit a run for the money , i bin out here a few years , came here thingking tand f was the ball and end all and brits are the best , but the germans are good we are hanging a 50 km pipe rack
off of chains , we got 9000 tons on order and they are putting it away sharpish

the pole ski are good two , the turks you can forget........ caught one tied off two the chains to the crane , a harness two them is like a comdom to a eunuch

Thelayherking,

Ive not worked in Germany but spent the last 2 weeks in europe, one of which in
Germany, so fairs fair your working in the place.

I witnessed their town work and as you do had a look at the form, toe boards are not required especially on stop ends, sole boards on fully boarded scaffolds seemed to be optional and the gap when they do toe board you can fit a childs fist through.

I am not doubting that industrial works would be spot on but the town work and some of the scaffolds at the bauma show in munich were lacking finish.

But this thread is not about Layher etc, its about improving whats out there in system land because eventually we have no choice.

1 honest question though thelayherking, I noticed that on the town jobs a large percentage of the scaffolds we looked at had mixed kit in them, and spoke with one gerust baur about this, he said that the systems were all certificated by (i wrote this down) Bautechnik to be mixed, layher, alltrad, scafom and some less known ones, is this the case?

As you work with the gear any improvements you would include?

, ya the street work here is in a similar vein to the uk , good and bad , industry is another thing , i,m a safety officer for germany,s biggest oil refinery and the worlds biggest integrated chemical plant and we are all layher , we have every component , so i would say we have no areas we can not use system to its full potential we integrate it with chains for hanging scaffolds which is perfect for piperacks .

as for improvements , its hard to say , we have every component imaginable here , yes we can mix and match systems , bauteknik is correct , we are also governed by , the bg bau in our work structures. i am in the process of bringing in 300-400 new men , not all our scaffolders , insulaters pipeworkers , welders etc , and in the last three years the only complaints we have about scaffolds are when the correct components are not used , but standards are high .

may be better hand placements built in to the decks , to make it easier to pump up , the load bearing systems performance is great for low level support on high jobs and ring to ring fitting is great for double standard work ,

intergrated beams are a must for any system. the speed in which we can build tempoary roofs and crane them in is perfect , tin shhets all on is a must when eliminating working at height risks

Last edited:
I Found When I Worked In Germany That The Standard Of Scaffolders And Scaffolds Were Really Quite Good, The German Work Ethic Combined With A Really Good System ( Layher Or Haki) Made For Some Really Tidy Jobs. You Are Always Going To Find Some Iffy Jobs But On The Whole Good Standard Of Work In Germany.

Gerscaff,

Didnt see any haki driving around Germany last week and it does stand out.

Did see a lot of mixed frame and ring systems with bits from lots of different makers, extremelly common.

Any thoughts on improving the systems out there?

Look at the PERI FLEX .No gaps , ledgers and decks in any direction.

In regards to the guy developing safety goggles, have you thought about the safety monocle? Surely a must for the one eyed or more discerning scaffolders out there.

Was hanging HAKI system offshore on the Frigg field in 1980 for Deborahs Norski Branch.

Fast Good stuff. Only probs daily Job & Knock no beach visit available.

Top Bottom