System Scaffold Challenge

Flannel

Reaction score
Some of the best ( and worst :blink1:) scaffold brains in the world are on this site,

System is a perpetual subject on here to be discussed, dismissed and to be generally argued over.

Here's the challenge,

Design a system that works as well as possible,

I'm going to kick this off with what our business would like to see a system being able to do,

Bay sizes that you can divide to be able to run tidy returns with non telescopic components (Layher make ledgers and boards that can extend, they cost the earth)

Boards that dont leave huge gaps or use half boards and gap decks (Alltrad have them).

Toe boards that need fittings to hold them on on an independent( toeboard to hook under the outside board, somehow).

Standards that are open ended for the odd shore and hangers.

Generally components that dont leave huge gaps, ring system ladder decks leave. Huge f$$king gap as do a lot of their transom sizes.

I know there will always be a need for tube but it would be good if system manufacturers looked at designing scaffolding from a scaffolders perspective.

Flannel,
use o profile boards and add a wider lock down that goes over the top of the boards and covers the gaps.
gaps are a bit of a problem with ring systems.

Easy Flannel , just use T/F there aint nothing you cant do with a good big mixed load on a lorry ;)

Phil,

100% Agreed, but the times they are a changing.

Agreed, how far down the line with this?

Aom

Been thinking about how the ststem brands dont get scaffolding, especially less is more.

Make a system workable, celtic with o profile is a good idea,

Add board bearers and load bearing ledgers maybe 4 mm wall and not 3.2 mm like most systems and we can still use our own wood boards.

Just think its worth mulling over and this is the only place for that.

I have always found Cuplok and Layher to be pretty reasonable. Used layher to get in some pipe filled modules and my only issue was it would have been more profitable using timber boards and tube for transoms.
Do a lot of heavy duty support work with cuplok its great and quick. Although t&f is the main stuff here.

Good thinking, have spanners

Open ended ring system not spigotted = for use in shoring.

Leg loads about 60 kN if in 1 m lifts for all the high yield ring systems.

Anymore ideas?

We use the cup lok transoms with the 13 foot boards, only use the omega decks for hop ups, loading bays and stair tower.

Good thinking, have spanners

Open ended ring system not spigotted = for use in shoring.

Leg loads about 60 kN if in 1 m lifts for all the high yield ring systems.

Anymore ideas?

I have the brochure beside me and they already do that.

Aom,

Tube in container loads comes in around $900 US dollars per tonne

Cuplok comes in around $2000 US per tonne (it is a heavy system per component)

Layher comes in around $3,800 US per tonne (light system to handle except the big boards)

Fittings come in at around $1800 US per tonne

They are all steel, different grades fair enough, surely an advantage to use high yield steel with 3.2 mm standards over the heavier systems?

And cost comes own to weight primarily, then qualty, then technical back up.

The last 2 dont seem to come from China, mind you Scafom are a big maker of Cuplok and they make theres in Yantai.

Can you do a leaner with system :wondering:

layher , i have seen here i swear gotta say was tops , layher with all components is top draw , we got a a 35 km piperack going up at at the moment its all hung off of chains . going up to 400 men through the year .

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

layher , i have seen here i swear gotta say was tops , layher with all components is top draw , we got a a 35 km piperack going up at at the moment its all hung off of chains . going up to 400 men through the year .

having been a tube and fitting man for 27 years and then on to all system was a different ball game but now i swear by it

Tube and fitting will never die. Ive known firms that have invested big time in system and over the years they've used it less and less. My opinion is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Tube and fit has been about for years and its the favored choice for English scaffs.

Without using telescopic components system will always need too many different items in it's catalogue to be as versatile as T&F.
What someone should make is a snap fitting, a fitting you hit once to lock it and once to unlock it.

Without using telescopic components system will always need too many different items in it's catalogue to be as versatile as T&F.
What someone should make is a snap fitting, a fitting you hit once to lock it and once to unlock it.

I have been working on a prototype fitting that does and undoes itself purely by the power of thought linked to a tiny camera that recognises eye retinas.

Top Bottom