System or tube and fitting

Have worked with them all and still say T&F is by far the best and most used in the UK especially combined with Ready Lock/Arms or whatever you want to call them...

In regard to system being ex SGB I have got to say Cuplok is by far the best system simply because you need the least components and it is so easy to combine T&F with the system when things get a bit fiddly...

In regard to Layher...Like everything German is very well engineered but it has too many components and the transport logistics are complete rubbish compared to other systems i.e. 28 standards to a pack and 30 decks etc...I never once sent out or back a load that fully utilised the vehicles load capacity.

ye cup lock is a great system also, I use it every day of the week,layer is great but like i said you need all the components,its also great for setting out on your own while some one else comes behind filling in,layer is very expensive I put up two stair treads recently for a company and the total cost to buy the gear was 26,000,the safety officer wanted the stair treads 1.5m ,layer was the only ones that supplied them

layher to dear you are correct , theres plenty of stair suppliers for cuplock , asp , hawthorn ect , so a bit of research would have sourced the parts , even SGB ARSECO stock the 1.5m stairs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

layher to dear you are correct , theres plenty of stair suppliers for cuplock , asp , hawthorn ect , so a bit of research would have sourced the parts , even SGB ARSECO stock the 1.5m stairs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry mate it was 1.8 m

Brown envelopes dropping on the floor at our place by a layer company, plus with the implementation of TG20:08 and SG4:10 the guy that is finding these thick envelopes is wanting us T&F scaffs out, there again i have only worked for them 33 years come March.

33 years come March, can any one else beat that or even get close? You either landed right lucky Paddy whereby you got a well paid job with a good firm right away or your priorities were else where. I know you are or were a keen volunteer with the T.A, Is that one of the reasons for sticking with the same firm and did travelling with them help prevent you from getting itchy feet and looking else where for work? Either way, after 33 years loyal service I hope they are now looking after you a bit.

Last edited:
System scaffold

Hi guys the introduction of EN12811-1 was the door opening for system scaffold in the UK. These regulations are more suited to system scaffold which is widely used in Europe and the UK companies using tube and fitting said they could not conform hence NASC introduced TG20 to make sure they could.

There are many arguments put forward for system being safer to erect and cheaper and as you say you have got to move with the times and unfortunately money talks ! However I disagree that it is safer as it is more awkward to handle and the main reason it is cheaper is based on a labour cost ie why employ an advanced scaffolder to erect it when you can employ a labourer and put him through a course "you work it out"

There is a place for system when used in the right application like in the cities and towns but equally tube and fitting is more versatile for the power and petrochem industries but the decsions made for our industry are made by experts (lol) and are for the interests and safety of the scaffolders and not based on profit (double lol) all my personal opinion of course !!

Adam

exactly my thoughts adam as to the regs

as regards awkward handling i do believe you do get used to it and becomes second nature

It is far easier to handle out in the streets but you try handling under a turbine or in amongst pipe racks I know what I would prefer.

I Have Used Kwikstage For Years And While Tube Is More Versatile System Has Its Place I Worked With Sgb And Used Cuplok But Prefer Kwikstage. Horses For Courses I Suppose,It Just Depends What You Are Taught With, I Personally Cant Stand The Snobbery Because Some Scaffolders Use Tube And Others System What Does It Say At The Bottom Of Their Card? Exactly The Same As Mine Scaffolder

personally id rather use traditional scaffold everytime as you say horses for courses though.

ye cup lock is a great system also, I use it every day of the week,layer is great but like i said you need all the components,its also great for setting out on your own while some one else comes behind filling in,layer is very expensive I put up two stair treads recently for a company and the total cost to buy the gear was 26,000,the safety officer wanted the stair treads 1.5m ,layer was the only ones that supplied them
Depending on the space available Cuplok can be used for any size stair threads. Done one using 1.8mx63mm.boards bolted onto stair thread brackets. Used tubes and B/P's as stiles, underslung 6ft tube on pair of tubes and spurred up to strenghten. Dimensions. 3.6m. wide x 5.1m. long. Only thing I had to buy was the bolts. SGB, have a modular staircase stile out comes in pairs and clips onto the ledgers and the threads just slide into them. think there only available for 2.5m.bay x 2m.lift. and 2.5m. bay x 1.5m.lift. not sure of the thickness of the threads.

What you need to remember is most UK scaffolding firms big and small have spent a lot of money on tube and fittings so changing over to system is probably cost ways,out of the question.Plus you now need a card to erect system crap.Why?You could get trained monkeys to put it up,oh hang on that's what we've already got!!and at half the price of proper scaffs.

Birdcages, long straight runs, loading towers or any job with plenty of room around it then system such as layher or cuplock is a lot quicker to erect, but it is more expensive to buy or hire, usually takes more than 50% of the erect time to dismantle, awkward to carry and handle, takes up more room on the lorry and the man erecting the job gets less than he would with t&f.

Very good for properly designed large jobs such as in Redviking's or Ryan Berry's photos but generally better for the semi skilled or a brickie's labrador.

Kwikstage is for people still stuck in the 1980's

That should upset a few.:laugh::laugh:

Birdcages, long straight runs, loading towers or any job with plenty of room around it then system such as layher or cuplock is a lot quicker to erect, but it is more expensive to buy or hire, usually takes more than 50% of the erect time to dismantle, awkward to carry and handle, takes up more room on the lorry and the man erecting the job gets less than he would with t&f.

Very good for properly designed large jobs such as in Redviking's or Ryan Berry's photos but generally better for the semi skilled or a brickie's labrador.

Kwikstage is for people still stuck in the 1980's

That should upset a few.:laugh::laugh:

Very well put!!

Depending on the space available Cuplok can be used for any size stair threads. Done one using 1.8mx63mm.boards bolted onto stair thread brackets. Used tubes and B/P's as stiles, underslung 6ft tube on pair of tubes and spurred up to strenghten. Dimensions. 3.6m. wide x 5.1m. long. Only thing I had to buy was the bolts. SGB, have a modular staircase stile out comes in pairs and clips onto the ledgers and the threads just slide into them. think there only available for 2.5m.bay x 2m.lift. and 2.5m. bay x 1.5m.lift. not sure of the thickness of the threads.

believe me mate I tryed to source them from sgb,also the hand rails on cup lock are the bracing,1.8,2.5.which is not accepted as a hand rail,also you cant use wooden boards on a fire escape,the dept of the treads on a fire escape has to be 188mm,sgb dont come in them dimensions,on a proper stair case (fire exit)no fitting,s what so ever can be used ,even if they are capped,layer has a great system,you slot to stair case runners to your standards top and bottom,then you fill in the step up,s with your pan,s (rosters)to what ever size you built the scaffold,1.5,1,8,2,0,2.4,also the hand rails layer use cover the whole side of the scaffold as you walk up.or down,cup lock only covers from cup to cup,which means you have a gap between your top hand rail and bottom this was not accepted by the fire officer,layer is the way forward

Top Bottom