sway brace

outward bound

Reaction score
is a sway brace fixed every 5 bays when fixed in one bay ,or every 6th bay when fixed over 2 bays or is both of these correct ?

No greater than 6 over 2 bays. As far as I am aware it's the same for single but you have to use plan as well.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Another thing about that I've always been a bit curious as to the trend of going across 2 bays one lift. Looks poor to my eye but I am seeing more and more do it like that.

Yeah sway over 1 or 2 bays every 6th bay but if over 1 bay then plan bracing.
Aom, I agree mate 100%, it looks ***** but saves on the plan which is why it's being seen more and more I reckon

Is that how your firm does it Zotsey?

Last edited:
Single for me as well, just an old dinosaur at heart.

Snap
Maybe we can get out of Europe and go back to good old BS5973 !! lol

Not a chance, we my friend are consigned to installing plan brace for the rest of our natural.

Bollox ! :D
No biggie, rather wack in plan brace than put sway over 2 bays and have job look shyte

You are right about the tie and between braced frames hence the plan brace for single sways but I also think the angle can be between 35 and 55 degrees, not clever enough to know if that suits a single lift double bay brace.

i just do 1 bay
am i right in saying you you only have to put the plans in on scaffolds going higher than 8m?

That's how we do it. Yes that's right.

am gonna have ot read this tg thingy lol didnt know ya didnt need dog legs untill u go to 8 m . and sways over 1 bay in 6 never seen them goign over 2 in on lift. a pet h8 :mad::mad::mad:of mine is a 20 used as a sway over 2/3 bays over 2/3 lift i think that looks naff nice 10ft sway 1 bay every lift looks tidy you never get a 20 too meet at the node nicely

would luv to go back to every corner return or 100' lolo
thought plan was from 5th lift only throught the swayed bay- gonna av to chk tg now

Not a chance, we my friend are consigned to installing plan brace for the rest of our natural.

I'm 99% sure you only have to install plan bracing with single bay sways over a certain height, not for every job. Seeing a lot of double bay sways though to over-comply with new TG stuff...

Once over 8m high, we build plenty smaller jobs without plans but we also put them in to even system jobs on first pavement lifts.

I agree there are over engineered jobs on the go and we maybe have a couple with both over and under it just depends on how we view the risk.

I agree there are over engineered jobs on the go and we maybe have a couple with both over and under it just depends on how we view the risk.

You know best mate :blink1: nothing wrong with being certain the job will be good!

Seen a few jobs around here,sways single lift 2 bays. Looks alright,now ive got use to them.

Single bay sway, plan bracing at 8m is right
Have seen a few double bay sways on single lift but am sure Allan is right should be over 2 lifts

Top Bottom