Stupidist thing youve ever done scaffolding?

VERTIGO

Reaction score
I was watching a couple of the videos on youtube of the crazy scaffs and got myself thinking about some of the things i did when bit younger and naive... I remember working on a temporary roof i came back to finish off first thing in morning basically job was to sheet and matt the job. When the job was finished i had to climb down and there was pretty much only one corner i could get down off where a beam was sticking out far enough for me to get out and round under the sheeting, i remember as i got out and round i sort of got tangled up with my belt and lost balance for a second, i got round ok but when i think about it now i go a bit cold thinking about the possible outcome, this was about 70-80ft off the pavement, so would of been messy......

Mmm, quite a lot to squeeze into one post but trying to scramble round the outside of a fully sheeted job about 50 ft up.:eek:

Failing to notice every fu**er had fu**ed off from the work party on an under deck job because a supply boat had come in then trying to shimmy up the side of the rig on the water hose as there was nothing else, it was like trying to clime a waterfall.:eek:

Tried to take the sag out of a beam and failed to recognise that the 6 lifts of yellow jelly on it was more than my back could take.:eek:

Could go on but I would just bore you to tears.

I really wasn't the brightest.:(

Im always doing stupid things, lol.

When i was younger, i was on this job for TRAD Scaffolding.
Lunar House, in Croydon, South London. (The place where all the foreigners go to get their visa's stamped...)
It was a massive lump, something stupid like 16,000 boards on it and when it was being struck, i was in the chain about 60ft up and i remember it was raining all day and after 50 or so long, soaking wet and cold, i was physically shattered (i was only 18 at the time).
I nearly lost hold of the 21ft i was chaining down and barely got a hold of it @60ft up and 2 Scaffolders and an artic lorry below me.
THAT would have been messy if i'd lost that tube. :worried:

Another time, i was working locally, putting a silly little handrail over some small Garages and the roof was an old corrugated asbestos sheeting roof that needed to be replaced and i was told to watch my footing, as the sheets wasn't that stable.
What did i do?
I said: "Nah, its ok mate, ive walked on plenty of TIN sheet roofs, before."
Yeah... TIN sheets - not flimsy Asbestos, lol.

My foot went straight through and i ended up falling into the Garage below (about 6ft down), lol.
Covered in dust, spider webs and Asbestos. :embarrest:

Yeah i would strongly advise any youngster new to the game to never be tempted to take a chance just to save a bit of time, probably doesnt happen so much on the big jobs because of health and safety but on the street firms its rife. Better to take half hour longer on the job and get home safe than climb outside scaffolds etc...

Another time i remember climbing down a hoist from about 100 ft just to get an extra 10 mins at the cafe.... i wont sleep tonight......

Last edited:
Yeah i would strongly advise any youngster new to the game to never be tempted to take a chance just to save a bit of time, probably doesnt happen so much on the big jobs because of health and safety but on the street firms its rife. Better to take half hour longer on the job and get home safe than climb outside scaffolds etc...

Another time i remember climbing down a hoist from about 100 ft just to get an extra 10 mins at the cafe.... i wont sleep tonight......

I dunno...
Ive been on some big jobs and they are just as dangerous as the small ones.
Health and Safety is a myth, its only important, if the job is running to schedule - as soon as its running behind and firms are gonna get fined for late charges - It goes straight out the window.

And dont even get me started on the East London Line Extension.
Dalston? - What a shiit hole of a job - One of the most dangerous ive worked on, but 'safe' as long as you wore your gloves and glasses..., Bishopsgate was almost as bad, too. :notrust:

When I was a young buck I thought I was the bees knees at taking out top outs of any height (if I could reach it I could get it ) . While working with one of the old guard he suggested as I was the young fella I should get this high top out , I obliged instantly only to be covered in honking brown liquid . The old yin couldn`t stop laughing shouting "a PISHED IN THAT THREE LIFTS UP YA WEE FANNY " a lesson learned .

I dunno...
Ive been on some big jobs and they are just as dangerous as the small ones.
Health and Safety is a myth, its only important, if the job is running to schedule - as soon as its running behind and firms are gonna get fined for late charges - It goes straight out the window.

And dont even get me started on the East London Line Extension.
Dalston? - What a shiit hole of a job - One of the most dangerous ive worked on, but 'safe' as long as you wore your gloves and glasses..., Bishopsgate was almost as bad, too. :notrust:

Yeah i know what u mean jason but the difference on some big jobs is your not under such time pressure so it dont matter if you come the long way down the scaffold for break. I been on some street firms where your constantly being chased up to get the job done and get to another job and looking back when i was younger i would cut corners to save time thinking that its just part of the job and you had to do it, another problem is peer pressure, if your working with another scaff or if your a labourer and the scaff says fook it lets climb down the outside 10 lifts up you feel like you gotta join him...nowadays i would just say meet u at the bottom mate!

Not getting my tickets,not going offshore when I had the chance.

Can I be bothered J. They keep changing the rules. Street slashing is the future.Haha

leeds london boy you still got that ginney wheel video you had hahahaha!!! think admin deleted that as well lmfao!!!!!

Abseiling, I'll leave it at that :laugh:

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

leeds london boy you still got that ginney wheel video you had hahahaha!!! think admin deleted that as well lmfao!!!!!

Yeah I still got that on youtube but it's not for public viewing anymore as I was warned that the HSE were onto me hahaha

We once put an 8 ft tube through the coat sleeves of the cheeky , know it all Labrador and pinned him to the 3rd lift of the church we were on and dropped his trousers before going off to the Cafe ....... he was never lippy to us after that lol .

Don`t think we`d get away with doing that these days .

Hey VLLB hse was on to me just got fined 35 bigguns today

Think vllb's content abseiling on the continent at the mo.lol

You mean longuns Scaffy. whats the hse gonna do with those??

one of the stupidest things i ever done at scaffolding was to start with gkn mills

Top Bottom