Steps (again)

I can honestly say i have never seen a rick assesment or anyother assesment of the sort i have nver herd of a rams what is it please????? I think comensence is the assesment and if you need a risk assesment to do your job and need to thurly read it at the start of every shift you shouldent be in the job but there will always be an exception to my theory and maby there is a need to read ti every morning for you site offshore scaffs but street pufffff u got no chance of bene given one unless its to give it to the client when u get to the job

I can honestly say i have never seen a rick assesment or anyother assesment of the sort i have nver herd of a rams what is it please????? I think comensence is the assesment and if you need a risk assesment to do your job and need to thurly read it at the start of every shift you shouldent be in the job but there will always be an exception to my theory and maby there is a need to read ti every morning for you site offshore scaffs but street pufffff u got no chance of bene given one unless its to give it to the client when u get to the job

Scaff1989

Oops
That's your job with Aom gone out the window now mate !!!! ha ha
:blink1:

YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT ISNT ITHER PUT IN FRONT OF YOU OR IS INFRONT OF U NOW CAN YOU IF ITS PUT INF RONT OF ME AD READ IT AND SIGN IT IT ITS NOT THERE TO READ AND SIGN WHAT DO I DO ????? LOL AOM WILL SOON HAVE ME ROUND TO HIS WAY LOL :idea:

All risk assessments are signed daily in the yard before going on site, sorry boy's but it does get a bit boring after a while.

aom do you do much work for industrial services i carnt think of a street firm with all the head to saftey etc with out the industrial contracts

does jetsking come under industrial???????

Naff all mate, not your fault

Bring back the days where we could thnk for ourselves and get on with the job is what I say but unfortunately things have changed and 90% not for the better.

Aom will put you right mate when you get up there !!!! lol

aom do you do much work for industrial services i carnt think of a street firm with all the head to saftey etc with out the industrial contracts

We do some, but if I'm honest it's not like you big city slickers, I would get lost in the big sites but round here it's more like sub stations and they think they know about health and safety but they don't really know anything about working at height and I can knock their socks off no problem. There are still plenty who come from outside who do know so I have to be on the ball all the time and I have had to take a lecture from some snotty nosed weasel more than once in my life and I hated it so try not to leave myself open to it too much.

I rang up for a job once and was told that if I got took on as CIS I would need my own scaff step aswell as my own PPE.

Something else I can add to this years tax rebate!

Yes we used them on a big job in Liverpool before they became the kit of choice,The main contractor Waites insisted on us using them,felt a right pratt !Still don't agree with the concept.What I wanted to know is it a law that you have to use them?That's what our firm is trying to say.I have not heard through the scaffolding grapevine that it is.
Wasnt by chance Waites Living Space was it?
Was on one of their sites last year and they were insisting on SG4:10.
Seems like their rules and regs fluctuate between sites.

I do not do this often but the SCCR can make a change but we need numbers.

Yes we might be slow at sending info back but we have overheads that do not match the incomings & until we are at a stage when we can have a full time coordinator this with be our down fall.

Grow some balls & stick together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stewart Quinney
Chairman SCCR

It's becoming obvious to me there's too many apathetic people in this industry :suspicious:

Stewart let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out with this.

Wasnt by chance Waites Living Space was it?
Was on one of their sites last year and they were insisting on SG4:10.
Seems like their rules and regs fluctuate between sites.
John it was Waites Retail,we did a few big jobs for them.Health and safety mad,more bosses than workers.

I carry out contracts on Taylor Wimpey sites and they say you have to use steps if that is the system you choose in the company proceedure, there are other types in use but much more expensive and time comsuming.

The steps ?? Well i had 2 guys putting a handrail up one either end of a long tube on a step or a tea tray as we call them !! Anyway one of them slipped on the step or stumbled and took the other one with him, both hurt themselves but not badly. One of them came up with a good point he said we were all trained to pick up heavy tube with our feet apart, but now we have to stand on a tea tray feet together, now you would not see a boxer go in the ring feet together as he would LOSE BALANCE straight away, same thing with steps. whats wrong with the old way but just clipping on your harness.

Platinum I've had the same experience when on Taylor Wimpey sites.

Any chance of getting an accident report together of what happened, get the 2 involved to give a brief write up of what happened and send it to the SCCR? We need feedback like this.

I carry out contracts on Taylor Wimpey sites and they say you have to use steps if that is the system you choose in the company proceedure, there are other types in use but much more expensive and time comsuming.

The steps ?? Well i had 2 guys putting a handrail up one either end of a long tube on a step or a tea tray as we call them !! Anyway one of them slipped on the step or stumbled and took the other one with him, both hurt themselves but not badly. One of them came up with a good point he said we were all trained to pick up heavy tube with our feet apart, but now we have to stand on a tea tray feet together, now you would not see a boxer go in the ring feet together as he would LOSE BALANCE straight away, same thing with steps. whats wrong with the old way but just clipping on your harness.

These should be classed as dangerous occurances and should be reported to the HSE as such under RIDDOR. You can do this online.

how can these stats be monitored and recorded if not reported. The HSE can only work on information given.

I thought it would need to be an LTI before RIDDOR kicked in?

Just out of interest how do other scaffs put the handrails in using the dreaded steps?We usually put the handrails in as we put the ledgers on saves struggling to get the long onto the lift.I also put the boards on standing on the step,find it easier than trying to get them through the lift especially with five transoms per board.Yes I know your'e not supposed to but most site agent/managers haven't got a clue about advanced handrails etc.Seems as long as your hooked on they are happy.The steps are handy for those big toppers as well!

Top Bottom