Starting out, some advice please

skyhook

Reaction score
Hi there

If you don't mind, I would like some advice on starting up on my own.

I thought I would ask on here, just to see if anyone could maybe give me a few pointers.

I'll start

Which Scaffold supplying company's are the best to deal with when purchasing materials, both cost wise and to deal with ?

When buying materials, are you better to deal with one supplier, or use different companies for the different components. Such as one for tube, another for boards and another for fittings ect ?

Scaffold design's, how much does it cost to get these drawn up and for the basic scaffolds can you just use generic ones, ie, one for Towers, one for Independent ect ?

Advertising and marketing, does much new business come from this. What kind of marketing/advertising works the best, and ultimately, is it cost effective ?

Which make/model of pick up (3.5 GVW) would you recommend for both payload, general running costs and reliability ?

I was considering a 7.5 Tonne wagon but I will see how I get on first.

Thanks in advance

Skyhook

q: Scaffold design's, how much does it cost to get these drawn up and for the basic scaffolds can you just use generic ones, ie, one for Towers, one for Independent ect ?

a: the new tg guidance will be available for a cool £1k, looks very smart...

as for "buying" gear... nick what you can... by mistake of course...

Supply maybe george roberts but your best off buying someone out, those isuzus dodge the tachometer sh1te I think, as for designers id put a couple of grand into a mac, cad it all yourself its p1ss easy and also do your accounts, thought a lot about it myself lately as ive seen some of the d1keads I knew become successful why the fuk cant a wanka like me :D

Best of luck to you

Supply maybe george roberts but your best off buying someone out, those isuzus dodge the tachometer sh1te I think, as for designers id put a couple of grand into a mac, cad it all yourself its p1ss easy and also do your accounts, thought a lot about it myself lately as ive seen some of the d1keads I knew become successful why the fuk cant a wanka like me :D

Best of luck to you

You're right about the Tacho, would only need it if I was towing a trailer with materials and it pushed the weight up. I never really considered CAD, could you recommend a good programme ? I already have an accountant and to be honest I think I would benefit more from just leaving it to him. You're last sentence strikes a chord too !

Thanks

Skyhook

Think alan reades your best shout for the cad mate, dont get me wrong some jobs I would go out of house for but had a play on my mates and after an hour for basic scaffolds it was honestly a doddle, gave you load lists aswell, he was even calculating fuel etc....will find out off him tomorrow, honestly mate a lot of succesful blokes ive met along the way are far thicker than me, its just opportunity and balls that seperates us at the moment ;)

To save time search the older threads as theres loads on here. You'll need to get a good credit record with a single supplier, cheeper isnt always best must be local & reliable-generations,trads&george roberts all av good service, you'll prob be able to hire some jobs in till ur stock gets enough.
Desighners are a must on tech jobs bur tbh you can scrounge loads of generic drwgs off here.donr be tempted yo try & caf it urself your just not qualified its not just the drwgs,but calcs etc so if u get it wrong its gonna cost big time.but the new TG from nasc is a must
Pickups & flatbeds arnt worth a wnak as they can only carry 1.5tn which means ur forever transporting gear & not cost effective.
As for advertising theres many differnt medias& platforms available to utilise but as you get ur client base up word of mouth will spread.
Good luck in ur venture nows s good time to make the start

As you say about CAD, that was the reason I never considered it initially. I though it would be best to leave that to the design engineers. I also appreciate what you're saying about the pick up, but thought it may be the best option to start with.

Thanks for your input

Skyhook

There seem to be a lot of sizeable firms out there running perfectly sound operations with nothing more than a pick up but personally I can only agree with SP as you just can't get enough on them. I think it must depend a lot on your travel to work area, they would be OK for the city slickers that could nip back to the yard every few hours for more kit but the country boys are regularly 50 miles and more from base so it just doesn't make sense to me. I started doing homers with a roof rack and a Maestro van and worked up to the 26 ton crane truck we use now. We did have a couple of pickups for a while but found the additional cost of a 7.5 tonner to be negligible.

Also, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in designs at the start or even the eguide until you are sure you are going to need them. The new regs are designed to reduce the burden on us to produce drawings for basic jobs and the eguide is only really to prove it, if you don't need to prove it why bother? If you are intending to work right away for some of the bigger outfits you may have to consider it but I would hold off to see who your target market is likely to be.

Things have changed a bit regarding suppliers since I started. I was fortunate to start in the boom years when credit was free and easy. I built up a good relationship with one particular supplier and can now get access to all sorts of deals with them. I would love to have said to you to go do the same thing but some of these guys want new starts head on the block before giving them any credit and they tell me opening accounts now is fairly restricted so you may have to shop about on that score although I would stick to the reputable suppliers as there is a lot of guff gear out there and plenty chancers looking to get rid of sub standard steel and boards.

Again, just a personal thing, but I have never really put a lot of faith in advertising. Might just be another geographical thing, as there are a few on here who invest in lots of things like web sites and the like but to be honest a well built scaffold erected by professional looking operators harnessed up and using a step or AGR are to my mind your best advert. There are plenty chucking them up at tuppence ha'penny and plenty willing to encourage them, but for me your best plan for long term success is to do it as well as you can and you will soon pick up your fair share of good reliable clients.

Good Luck with it all.

'Again, just a personal thing, but I have never really put a lot of faith in advertising. Might just be another geographical thing, as there are a few on here who invest in lots of things like web sites and the like but to be honest a well built scaffold erected by professional looking operators harnessed up and using a step or AGR are to my mind your best advert. There are plenty chucking them up at tuppence ha'penny and plenty willing to encourage them, but for me your best plan for long term success is to do it as well as you can and you will soon pick up your fair share of good reliable clients' - AOM.

Well put Alistair - possibly the best advice ever given on this forum.

Thanks for your reply aom

I know exactly what you're saying about a pick up, I have a friend who runs his company using one and he is constantly ferrying gear. I am just thinking of the extra cost implications of running a lorry. Such as the 6 weekly checks, maintenance and fuel.
I have the operators licence sorted, and premises to run from. I just think I may be better off initially with a tidy pick up.

Buying materials is going to be expensive, and I expected that. The costs associated with running a truck rather than a pick up will just be added pressure ( I think ). To start with at least, if it goes well then I will invest in one.

Hopefully I will get a decent supplier sorted soon, and like you stated I will only use one of the reputable ones, fingers crossed I get some competitive prices from the off.

I know what you're saying about designs too, I was just thinking of cost really. I expect its the same as 'how long is a piece of string'.

Also, I completly agree with what you said about smart operatives, erecting tidy jobs correctly. It's my intention to start trading like this from day one. Like most that have made the jump, I'm just constantly thinking of ways to help launch the business and give it a bit of an extra push.

Ultimately though, smart jobs and smart people will probably be my best advert.

Thanks for your time

Skyhook

Last edited:
Probably reconsider the cad thing myself after reading those, , the difference between those that may and those that have, must admit though would hate to hire gear if I could help it ;)

Ill love to start my own company but I just don't think I could cope who ever gives it a go fair play to
Them win or fail atlest you said I done it 100 % respect

When are u starting up skyhook & what area u thinking of trading

Never hired anything since I've been going touch wood!
Was always told though if you do have to hire never hire boards or ladders
As these are the dearest!

Richbcfc89;

Me also !

I had every intention of starting up in late 2007, formed a company got a business bank account and was negotiating prices with local scaffolding suppliers. However, the downturn in work was becoming apparent, the people and companies that had been showing a positive interest were beginning to struggle. Luckily my job was relatively secure.

So, to put it bluntly I bottled it.

6 years on and I can see recovery, especially in the part of the country I'm based.

My sentiments are similar to your own, if you don't try you will never know. If 2014 is going to be the turning point for all of our fortunes then I might as well try and get a piece of the action rather than missing the boat.

Porter;

Hopefully my hire will be kept to a minimum too, hopefully.

Skyhook

Last edited:
There seem to be a lot of sizeable firms out there running perfectly sound operations with nothing more than a pick up but personally I can only agree with SP as you just can't get enough on them. I think it must depend a lot on your travel to work area, they would be OK for the city slickers that could nip back to the yard every few hours for more kit but the country boys are regularly 50 miles and more from base so it just doesn't make sense to me. I started doing homers with a roof rack and a Maestro van and worked up to the 26 ton crane truck we use now. We did have a couple of pickups for a while but found the additional cost of a 7.5 tonner to be negligible.

Also, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in designs at the start or even the eguide until you are sure you are going to need them. The new regs are designed to reduce the burden on us to produce drawings for basic jobs and the eguide is only really to prove it, if you don't need to prove it why bother? If you are intending to work right away for some of the bigger outfits you may have to consider it but I would hold off to see who your target market is likely to be.

Things have changed a bit regarding suppliers since I started. I was fortunate to start in the boom years when credit was free and easy. I built up a good relationship with one particular supplier and can now get access to all sorts of deals with them. I would love to have said to you to go do the same thing but some of these guys want new starts head on the block before giving them any credit and they tell me opening accounts now is fairly restricted so you may have to shop about on that score although I would stick to the reputable suppliers as there is a lot of guff gear out there and plenty chancers looking to get rid of sub standard steel and boards.

Again, just a personal thing, but I have never really put a lot of faith in advertising. Might just be another geographical thing, as there are a few on here who invest in lots of things like web sites and the like but to be honest a well built scaffold erected by professional looking operators harnessed up and using a step or AGR are to my mind your best advert. There are plenty chucking them up at tuppence ha'penny and plenty willing to encourage them, but for me your best plan for long term success is to do it as well as you can and you will soon pick up your fair share of good reliable clients.

Good Luck with it all.

What an excellent reply to the poster.. Hats Off

When are u starting up skyhook & what area u thinking of trading

In the East Midlands SP. Depending how long it takes to get everything else in place, hopefully March/April 2014.

Last edited:
Skyhook

Isit mate well I wish you the best of luck mate just give it a go it be the best thing you'll ever do I hope it all goes well for you let me no how you get on best luck matey

Good luck in ur new venture if ypu need sdvice remeber thats wot the forums forr

Top Bottom